• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hootieleece

Field Marshal
105 Badges
Dec 21, 2002
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I just finished my first Victoria 2 Grand Campaign as Spain.

Here are some Screenshots:

v25l.png

As you can See I was Number 8, but was not in danger falling out of GP Status.

v26.png

This is the Industrial score sort.

v27e.png

And this is same but sorted by overall score.

My biggest problem going forward is the Economy.......How to do better with it?

UK Industry is 5-6X as big as Spain's.

I loaded up as UK and looked at Budget.....They are spending more on Health Care than my entire budget......

Late game economy is about demand and since UK has several times your population, they tend to have several times bigger industry score.

You can compensate by getting some populous countries in your sphere or taking chunks of China. Also, you can try waging war on UK and liberate as much of India as you can. UK's industry score comes mostly from hundreds of millions pop in India.

You.. finished a game? :huh:

You.. finished a game? :huh:

I was about to ask this too:eek:

The answer to the question is war! With the exception of the UK, Russia, the US and maybe France it is very hard to win without beating the other great powers in a war. Spain has not the industrial or population base to win without expanding. Even Prussia need war(s) to win and they're way stronger than Spain.

I finished a game....I think the length suits me......I generally get bored with EUIII and CK2 about 2-300 years in.

I will probably play as one of the big boys soon.....playing a game as Netherlands Now.

I will tell you what I don with Spain (I have played with them a lot) and just see what you did. I always finish between rank 2 and 5 (that damn UK industrial score is impossible to beat unless you beat India out of the UK).

From the very beggining I focus on getting more literacy and research points. That means focusing on culture and 100% education spending. I industrialize around 1850. Being able to colonize as early as possible is the way to go, so by 1870 you should have all the required techs for that. Dont forget to build naval bases (and upgrade them) in Guinea, so that you can start colonizing the best slice of Africa ASAP.

Regarding conquests, I always conquer Brunei, Johore and Dubai (this last one always give me acces to crude). But dont turn crazy with conquests. You should not waste your bucks on military until the 1880s or 1890s, which means that you shouldnt ally with countries that will surely go to war sooner or later (like France and Prussia). Be at good relations with them, but forget about them. If you want to play the warmonger a bit in the early days, you can conquer the Oporto region in Portugal (it is the best portuguese region, but first check Portugal is not allied nor friendly with GPs).

Use your GP status to bring Brazil, Guanxi and Japan or Korea into your SoI. Brzil gives you tropical wood and ordinary wood (for your luxury furniture industry). Guanxi will give you silk for your luxury clothes factories. And Japan and Korea give you a good amount of coal and (in the case of Japan) tea, iirc. When you are done with this you can think about Egypt, COlombia or other south american countries.

Basically you should spend the fist half of the game getting your research and literacy in good order. At the same time, around the 1850s start industrializing. After that, (around 1880 or 1890) you can start to expand your military and play the warmonger (but with some caution)

I ate ALOT of Africa.......I asked a few questions earlier. I SOIed the S. American Country's as they used to be my colonies. Think of it as a Spanish commonwealth. I mostly sat on the sidelines and beat up Portugal for Mozambique.(UK took Porto and another State) I was able to eat most of Congo.....So Congo conference never fired. Now that understand influence and SOI better I will beat on Portugal more often in My Spain Games.

I had a really crappy Economy but was making 1000k/day at end.......I was a GP for most of the time by sheer Prestige!

The only thing I missed out on was fighting a GP or part of a Great War. (I was always afraid I'd lose...) Noone ever called me to Arms even though I was ALWAYS allied to at least one other GP.

The true way is too help mexico beat Usa and slowly eat up NA. Just ally with france or UK, they both have a bigger navy than Us in the start. (And if u manage too
grab new england and york they are basicly done for)

The true way is too help mexico beat Usa and slowly eat up NA. Just ally with france or UK, they both have a bigger navy than Us in the start. (And if u manage too
grab new england and york they are basicly done for)

Actually the true way is conquering all of Latin America except for Brazil.

Brunei & Abu Dhabi are small targets to something like Spain.
They will never produce as much as a single province with more population (like Jambi). Overvalued.
Johore is better due to early gold and many eventual rubber provinces. Cambodia still produces more.

Take land from unciv Japan or China. These are your India.

Conquering Latin America is pointless. Just sphere everyone.
Taking half-empty land without having capital in Americas (for the immigration bonus) is not efficient.

Late game economy is about demand and since UK has several times your population, they tend to have several times bigger industry score.

You can compensate by getting some populous countries in your sphere or taking chunks of China. Also, you can try waging war on UK and liberate as much of India as you can. UK's industry score comes mostly from hundreds of millions pop in India.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Hover over British industry score at any time during the game - most of the industry score comes from super-populous and advanced England, which is never touched by wars and has enough troops protecting it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, but playing AHD + A Pop Divided mod (quite sure APD uses the same colony-to-state mechanics as vanilla) I haven't seen, at any point during any of my games, that Brits would get any industry score from their colonies, AKA they can't turn it into a state because they don't have enough accepted culture represenatives to get 1% bureacraut ratio.

I was about to ask this too:eek:

The answer to the question is war! With the exception of the UK, Russia, the US and maybe France it is very hard to win without beating the other great powers in a war. Spain has not the industrial or population base to win without expanding. Even Prussia need war(s) to win and they're way stronger than Spain.

And that sums it up - war, war, war. This is not just about economy when you're playing a country that isn't Britain or France (even tho France would probably need war to take Britain outta the #1 spot, not garuanteed, though). When I was playing as Prussia and then turned into Germany, all I needed for total #1 dominance, over Britain & France, was to kick the butt of Austria-Hungary (took various regions, provoked other nations to jump the opportunity & declare war when I was pounding Austria, freed multiple nations) & France (took Alsace Lorraine, then 2 regions that led to Dunkirk, so I had pretty good foothold in France, had them on 100% WE for awhile and destroyed every single one of their mainland armies, including mobilized poor fellas), afterwards everything went up - France was out of the play and so it was easier to concentrate on beating the Brits, plus the 3 French regions kinda helped in industry. The rest is common sense. :)

Be opportunistic, if someone is pounding France (this is pretty much the nation you can beat with opportunism, because France almost always fights with Prussia/NGF/Germany, if the latter hasn't been defeated first by Austria or someone else), you jump in and take the opportunity. Just make sure to not join too late (other nation might end its war and you'll be the primary focus of France, altho it'll be very weak if the enemy had pounded them long enough) or too early (their armies will be just freshly mobilized and they'll be ready to go attacking at you, probably defeating your armies if you're Spain).

That's what war between big boys is all about, in my opinion, unless you, of course, have a stronger or equal army to the great power, then you don't need any opportunism to beat their asses, but it sure makes it easier.

Last edited:
As spain, I usually eat the two Sicilies to start with. While low literacy, it's well populated enough to make a decent industrial base later in the game. Taking land from Japan is also excellent. If you can get into a great war with the Netherlands and take all their colonies you will have dominance of the pacific.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Hover over British industry score at any time during the game - most of the industry score comes from super-populous and advanced England, which is never touched by wars and has enough troops protecting it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, but playing AHD + A Pop Divided mod (quite sure APD uses the same colony-to-state mechanics as vanilla) I haven't seen, at any point during any of my games, that Brits would get any industry score from their colonies, AKA they can't turn it into a state because they don't have enough accepted culture represenatives to get 1% bureacraut ratio.

You misunderstood me. The industry score does come from British Isles, in the sense that factories are there but the pops that consume 80% of what's produced are in India.

Force UK to release India and the factories in UK proper go bankrupt.

I'm playing a Game as Netherlands. Inspired by "Dutch Arithmetic AAR" I still have NO idea how to run an economy......I own Most of Africa South of the Sahara and All of Indonesia, New Guinea. Biggest Problem lack of accepted Culture Pops.

I understand the Diplomacy game and how to build Military Power. Also understand How to Keep Rebellions down......NOW.

I will Return to Spain.......once I figure out the Economy.

And that sums it up - war, war, war. This is not just about economy when you're playing a country that isn't Britain or France (even tho France would probably need war to take Britain outta the #1 spot, not garuanteed, though). When I was playing as Prussia and then turned into Germany, all I needed for total #1 dominance, over Britain & France, was to kick the butt of Austria-Hungary (took various regions, provoked other nations to jump the opportunity & declare war when I was pounding Austria, freed multiple nations) & France (took Alsace Lorraine, then 2 regions that led to Dunkirk, so I had pretty good foothold in France, had them on 100% WE for awhile and destroyed every single one of their mainland armies, including mobilized poor fellas), afterwards everything went up - France was out of the play and so it was easier to concentrate on beating the Brits, plus the 3 French regions kinda helped in industry. The rest is common sense. :)

Be opportunistic, if someone is pounding France (this is pretty much the nation you can beat with opportunism, because France almost always fights with Prussia/NGF/Germany, if the latter hasn't been defeated first by Austria or someone else), you jump in and take the opportunity. Just make sure to not join too late (other nation might end its war and you'll be the primary focus of France, altho it'll be very weak if the enemy had pounded them long enough) or too early (their armies will be just freshly mobilized and they'll be ready to go attacking at you, probably defeating your armies if you're Spain).

That's what war between big boys is all about, in my opinion, unless you, of course, have a stronger or equal army to the great power, then you don't need any opportunism to beat their asses, but it sure makes it easier.

Well, i guess with Spain it is the only way, but with Russia you can beat the brits peacefully. I am just a few hundreds points away from them, and the gap is getting closer month after month. It is 1885, by the way.