• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Medicine itself doesn't decrease the life rating, but one of the inventions you enable by researching Medicine (prophylaxis against malaria) does reduce life rating. The other tech that reduces life rating is Nationalism and Imperialism in the Political Thought tree of the Culture techs.

Medicine itself doesn't decrease the life rating, but one of the inventions you enable by researching Medicine (prophylaxis against malaria) does reduce life rating. The other tech that reduces life rating is Nationalism and Imperialism in the Political Thought tree of the Culture techs.
AND Machine Guns in army tech-light armament.

Regarding this issue, what would be the best sequence of research? Because almost every territory needs the 3 to be colonized. But I know there are a few exceptions

If you have access to high liferating places (Portuguese Africa, southern Ethiopia, Darfur), then medicine should be researched first, you can gain quite a few prestige points this way. And medicine in itself is a great tech.
Same for Nat & Imp it's a great by itself and available by 1850.

Regarding this issue, what would be the best sequence of research? Because almost every territory needs the 3 to be colonized. But I know there are a few exceptions
I usually go Medicine>Imperialism>Machineguns, I usually always go straight for medicine because of the nice 50 prestige boost even if i'm not colonizing anyway. And Imperialism is mostly better than machineguns because it unlocks low infamy wargoals usable against uncivs.