• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I find it a bit odd that people here are advertising the Pillars of the Earth its just a cliched cheesy romance series set in a certain time period, the good guys have little to no flaws and the bad guys are mustache twirling, village raiding, woman raping devils who scoff at those dirty peasants and are always in the middle of one scheme or another.

Ive seen the Ken Follet series, Game of Thrones, The Borgias "The Original, not the new garbage", Elizabeth. Kingdom of Heaven, Henry V etc.

What else is there?

Battles aren't everything to me, im interested in seeing a series/film that shows what it would be like to be a count, duke, king in those times. Something with a good degree of medieval costumery and political intrigue would really be appreciated, but it may be asking too much. Henry VIII was another great one, but ive seen it far too many times.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vikings is a great TV show.

[video=youtube;DDthc5vucgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDthc5vucgI[/video]

I find it a bit odd that people here are advertising the Pillars of the Earth its just a cliched cheesy romance series set in a certain time period, the good guys have little to no flaws and the bad guys are mustache twirling, village raiding, woman raping devils who scoff at those dirty peasants and are always in the middle of one scheme or another.
Same here, I didn't care much for it.

Yah, the new Vikings is quite good. Another good film that I didn't see listed is Ironclad (2011), set in the waning years of King John of England. A great Asian medieval-era series is the Korean drama The Great Queen Seondeok: chalk full of political intrigue, martial arts and tragedy, with hints of comedy thrown in for good measure. The Chinese 2-part film Red Cliff need no further explanations than simply being the best martial arts film ever! Its setting is the Romance of Three Kingdoms.

They are advertising it because they don't follow your opinion of it.

Knights Of The Teutonic Order (Krzyzacy) - 1960

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054004/

"A tale of a young impoverished nobleman, who with his uncle returns from a war against the order of the Teutonic Knights in Lithuania. He falls in love with a beautiful woman and pledges an oath to bring her "three trophies" from the Teutonic Knights."

I prefer Robing Hood: Men in Tights. It is a great medieval documentary! ;P

None of these are "documentaries", but they put you in the mood. I always want to play CK when I think about these:

1. Kingdom of Heaven.
2. Arn - The Knight Templar.
3. When The Raven Flies. Little known Icelandic film. It's much like a "Viking Western". The plot is about a conflict between Viking settlers on the Icelandic "frontier". Main theme of the movie is Nīþ.
4. Mongol. Brilliant movie. Looks way better than all the "special effect" non-sense that has occupied the blockbuster spot for a couple of decades.
5. Alexander Nevsky. One of the best movies of all time and deservedly so.
6. Braveheart. Wait until the Celtic facepack arrives.

Sorry for necroing this thread but wondering if anyone has any other movies.

I just recently caught a free one on youtube with English subtitles, a Romanian film about Vlad the Impalers grandfather "Mercia the Wise" of Transylvania. Although now I can no longer locate it! :(

The Peter O'Toole version of Lion in Winter has already been thrown around a lot, but I feel obligated to throw my vote in as well. It's my favorite film, hands down. Great history, great dialogue, intense, with a lot of wry humor and wordplay. It's brilliant. The Patrick Stewart/Glenn Close one is ok and I love those actors, but it pales compared to the original.

I'll vote again for the Patrick Bergen/Uma Thurman Robin Hood. It came out the same year as Prince of Thieves but somehow looks 10 years older, yet it's still a really great movie that does the Norman period a lot better than Costner's version.

I dont know if its been mentioned, but Pillars of the Earth is really good.

I think 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' has it beat though. Its a film every CK2 fan must watch (considering how many quotes and references to it there are in the game).

You'd think, given the amount of references they've got in, they'd at least have made the official declaration of war from peasant revolters inform you that "strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

I can't recommend the film highly enough, really, even if there's very little actual historical accuracy to it at all, ever. :p

The Court Jester with Danny Kaye is a great comedy classic set in medieval England. One of my all-time favourite movies.

Has the single funniest scene of wordplay in the movies ever - with "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!"

Watch the movie or just the clip of that scene on Youtube and you'll be rolling on the floor.

Watch