• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please post some casualty stat-screens! This topic makes me want to start another Germany game with a similarly audacious approach!

pretty much what you should expect, I think...

inflicted casualties pre-barbarossa.jpg

taken casualties pre-barbarossa.jpg

the first attempt on operation of barbarossa didnt go so well. then again, I didnt really wait for my upgrades, most of my tanks we're still L-ARM's

if i had to guess, i'd say he's using a full ic takeover game, which is not tremendously gamey i'd say. besides, poor bastard is using tanks only! give the man a break!

anyway, i tried this tactic with WIF2 mod. oh god the pain... i played 3 games so far with the only armor approach (plus some garrisons for manning forts and coastal provinces), and the results are in:

poland dies with no issues

france is, incredibly enough, WAY easier with only tanks. the belgian/netherlands army is a pushover and encircling the french from the north is a cakewalk.

yugoslavia/spain/greece... pushovers really. i even raided alexandria and stole 5k's worth of supplies and oil, so good stuff.

russia... a deathtrap. the biggest issue is the way DH deals with org for mobility: it regenerates too friggin slowly. i have tried everything: massive encirclements, full front pushes and reactive frontlines. nothing works. with some skill i managed to take out 70 russian divs until october, where i was being attritioned by the 400 (!) infantry divs of russia and their armored forces.

oil was never a problem though, not in poland, not in france, and not even in russia. a proper stock of oil and good trade is all i need. dont set it to export oil and you can get close to saving 150k of oil easily.

as for tank production, i barely use it for anything else other than tanks. i didnt build any IC or anything, instead i just rushed tank production to astronomical levels. not even airplanes. ill try a new tactic: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BUT TANKS. and i mean nothing, except some land forts in my border and 2 or 3 serial runs of garrisons. before i refused to build more tanks based on the fact that i <believed> i had enough tanks (100 tank divs by barbarossa).

tech is not tricky; rush tank techs and land doctrines, use the events to favour the panzer group and use any spare ones for mundane things like industry, oil conversion and flak guns. of course, tech rushing is severely penalized in WIF2, but usually it allows you to research it maybe 6 months before others would do so.

IC wise, i suffer mostly because of upgrades. by barbarossa, like lanodaka, my force is still woefully outdated, and in total i need 450 ic only to fully upgrade my forces. again, my tip is to simply make as many tanks as humanly possible. if i can somehow win barbarossa then ill consider upgrading. remember to place the automatic upgrade button for units in the production line, so newer tanks constantly come out.

considering how low mobility focus' morale is, i would agree with that.

incredibly enough, TC is not a big issue. the thing that really f@$%s my TC is the strat redeployment that i sometimes do, but not the tanks themselves. with that much IC and with logistics researched, as well as engineers researched, TC doesnt become an issue unless you are japan attacking china.

if i had to guess, i'd say he's using a full ic takeover game, which is not tremendously gamey i'd say. besides, poor bastard is using tanks only! give the man a break!

poland dies with no issues

france is, incredibly enough, WAY easier with only tanks. the belgian/netherlands army is a pushover and encircling the french from the north is a cakewalk.

russia... a deathtrap. the biggest issue is the way DH deals with org for mobility: it regenerates too friggin slowly. i have tried everything: massive encirclements, full front pushes and reactive frontlines. nothing works. with some skill i managed to take out 70 russian divs until october, where i was being attritioned by the 400 (!) infantry divs of russia and their armored forces.

oil was never a problem though, not in poland, not in france, and not even in russia. a proper stock of oil and good trade is all i need. dont set it to export oil and you can get close to saving 150k of oil easily.

IC wise, i suffer mostly because of upgrades. by barbarossa, like lanodaka, my force is still woefully outdated, and in total i need 450 ic only to fully upgrade my forces. again, my tip is to simply make as many tanks as humanly possible. if i can somehow win barbarossa then ill consider upgrading. remember to place the automatic upgrade button for units in the production line, so newer tanks constantly come out.

exactly like you said it, however I did become halfway operation barbarossa without fuel! not sure what the consequences will be...

mid_barbarossa.jpg

where can I find more oil? the sovjets still hold 250 units as my intel says and with winter set in, my advances have come to a standstill and I am now on the defensive, how did this turn??? should I retreat and to what line?
they have lost around 200 divisions and I have not lost so much, only a foolish movement made me lose 2 korps, 5 arm's and a HQ unit we're lost...

taken losses_mid barbarossa.jpg

how the hell did you run out of oil? well, again, only ARM, but in WIF2 i stocked tons of oil and i can still get a 200 profit per day with all my trades set. as for barbarossa, i cant really give any tips. how many divs do you have anyway? yesterday i was playing the game and i managed to get 100 arm divs by barba mid may '41. this is however less than optimal so now im going all out, no fleet no airforce and a 2 serial run of garrisons from the beginning to man the Siegfried line and beaches. invaded sweden to get to norway so nomore metal problems for me. yugoslavia remained allied to me, as well as italy, hungary, romania and bulgaria, thankfully helping me thin the frontline with russia (a full frontline would be impossible IMO).

im mid game right now and im about to attack france, september '39, as i went for danzig a bit earlier. ill count my ARM divs.

What's with France in your game there?

To see where there is oil you can change the map settings. For sure there is some just east and south of the Black Sea.

I had a succesfull montoire meeting, should have mentioned that... I gave their lands back and by oil I mean where to get it? venezuela is out, usa, iran and such are hostile and dutch indies are embargo'd

how the hell did you run out of oil? well, again, only ARM, but in WIF2 i stocked tons of oil and i can still get a 200 profit per day with all my trades set. as for barbarossa, i cant really give any tips. how many divs do you have anyway? yesterday i was playing the game and i managed to get 100 arm divs by barba mid may '41. this is however less than optimal so now im going all out, no fleet no airforce and a 2 serial run of garrisons from the beginning to man the Siegfried line and beaches. invaded sweden to get to norway so nomore metal problems for me. yugoslavia remained allied to me, as well as italy, hungary, romania and bulgaria, thankfully helping me thin the frontline with russia (a full frontline would be impossible IMO).

no idea how i've run out of oil, never had that before :)

side-effects to having the france is that they have their and more AI forces in north africa...

I have 9 hq, 87 L ARM, 27 ARM and 40 cas, 40 tac and 40 fighters with MC over bulgaria, romania and hungary atm

it cant be done...

i give up. ive tried taking on russia on so many ways, but WIF2 is just too much for me. i give up. maybe on vanilla with full IC takeover will work. good luck lanodaka, im going back to my standard inf + mot + arm and some mech hopefully.

lano what happened? did you do it? did you die?