• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Antiochus_Soter

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Dec 3, 2010
explorethemed.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
So I wanted to go back to the original Rome game. So I renamed the "CacheVanilla" folder back to being "cache" in the map root directory, but the vanilla game still crashed out when first loading up at the point where it says "creating world". What else do i need to do aside from renaming the cache folder so that I can play the vanilla game again?

So I wanted to go back to the original Rome game. So I renamed the "CacheVanilla" folder back to being "cache" in the map root directory, but the vanilla game still crashed out when first loading up at the point where it says "creating world". What else do i need to do aside from renaming the cache folder so that I can play the vanilla game again?

That seems your game can't generate the vanilla cache files. Are you playing with the mod files in the main game folder or in the mod folder?

I am renaming the cache folder in the main game directory/map.

Is there definately nothing else that needs to be changed?

If that is the case then maybe somewhere down the line the vanilla cache got confused with another cache. So perhaps I need to just do a fresh install....

That is really wierd, I just uninstalled the game. Checked the map directory and the "cache" folder was deleted asw ould be expected but all the other mod cache folders where still there "CacheMT", "CacheRoa", etc.

Then I reinstalled the game and looked in the map folder and the cache folder was recreated.

Then I go to play the game but it does not work, as before it crashes where it says "creating world" (this is after a fresh re-install!!).

So I rename the Magna Terra map cache (CacheMT->Cache) and try to play the Magna Terra Mod and it starts without any problem! What the heck is going on? How can this be possible?

Even wierder, I uninstalled again and then deleted all the caches and the entire EU Rome directory from my computer (after saving the mod files on a thumbdrive). So now I was in a situation where the entire EU Rome game was uninstalled and there were no files left on the computer from the last install of the game. I.e. as if EU Rome had never been on the computer.

Then I did the fresh install and the vanilla game still crashes out where it says "creating world" and yet if I load up the Magna terra mod with the correct map cache the game works.

What the hell is going on? Could the mod have altered something in the registry that is stopping the vanilla game from working?

Not sure if this will help, you could go to AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Rome and see if there's any cache files saved there. (If you're on windows 7)

Ok I worked it out.

I am using Windows 7 and I had to right-click on the game icon and choose "Run as Administrator" and then it would not crash. For some reason this was not neccesary when I played the Magna Terra Mod.

I guess it had been so long since I last played the vanilla game that I had forgotten that this was neccesary.