• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bad time for the Kaiser to die. Looks like it's time for the ladies to step up again.

Quite so. A rebellion now would be the perfect chance for them to take large chunks of land again.

First of all let us take a look at my dear husband. The son of the Duke of Cyprus we have been married for many years now. He has always been very passionate in the bedroom, or the library. Regardless we have had six children together. He will not be that involved with the running of the Empire though as he isn’t much one for public affairs. No matter I have the education and bloodline to handle that. First order of business is to set up the inheritance of the Empire and Bavaria. I will name my second son, Markward who is but two years of age, to the role.

2013-05-12_00001_zps80f60034.jpg

I am also involved in a few other wars. A drive to solidify German hold on the distant reaches of Africa yet to be brought into the fold of the Holy Roman Empire. The Kingdoms of Mali and Abyssinia are chosen as well as the final parts of the Arabian peninsula. A war is a bit risky. The Lords not exactly happy with me yet but on the other hand it can help to ensure my rule by showing my strength. Yet while I do these things my husband passes away. I shall miss him. He was a good man, a loving father, and devoted to the Empire. Still…being single right now is a political liability and though it is perhaps disrespectful I am quickly married after his passing. My choice of husband will I think be more focused on supporting me rather than a tumble in the sheets.

2013-05-13_00001_zpsab5ffa03.jpg
2013-05-13_00002_zpsfefbce7e.jpg

I do get recognized for my efforts. It is always nice to be recognized by the church for one’s achievements.

2013-05-13_00004_zpsc22e84fe.jpg

Though it took four years Mali surrenders in the end. This is good as I can then let my vassals soldiers return home rather than sweating in those jungles. The Byzantines have lost more ground against the Timurids. They had a powerful force of more than 200,000 soldiers in the Armenia region. Deadly that. Then in Abyssinia I make wins taking the Gondar region. Soldiers moved to focus eastwards into Arabia until it finally is brought down.

2013-05-13_00007_zps1e076e9f.jpg

2013-05-13_00008_zpsa95c8e03.jpg

I must keep always an eye ever on the east. The Timurids are large. Powerful. They have a vast force and numerous lands now. Their famed soldiers not yet broken down into a faction I can easily crush. So long as their elite remain they are a threat to me. So I engage in a few minor wars in Iberia. During the unification of the region under the banner of the Holy Roman Empire numerous minor barons or Muslim…bishops? Whatever, they were left in charge while the region should have been fully converted. More than a half dozen places are brought into the fold. Some violently. Some peacefully. I have also managed to put the boy on line to become the King of England one day into a matrilineal marriage to my daughter. I have finally ruled for so long no longer are my vassals eying me with distrust but have begun to trust in my wisdom. Yet a rebellion in Denmark offers a chance to bring the entire region into my fold. The mother of the King of Sweden, who is of my family, has a claim on that territory. The remnants of Poland can also be claimed. These are minor affairs honestly but of note that the two Kingdoms do get brought into the Empire

2013-05-13_00010_zps35e88d0f.jpg
2013-05-13_00011_zpsbcfa378a.jpg

So with the newly updated maps we can see both the successes and losses of the Empire. We have been unable to retake the lands the Timurids took from us. I admit I do not have the courage nor martial genius to try. Not yet at least. We have made gains in the African west and east as well as taking enough of Arabia to keep the Timurids from expanding freely against the Muslim’s left in Abyssinia. Aside from the broken up northeast we share a wide border with the Mongols though.

ck2_map_1_zps53823403.png

The next months are passed in relative peace. It is almost the year 1400 and things are busy across Christendom in preparation of the event. There is an increase of people claiming that Jesus will return this year. End of the century and all that. Of course the Pope claims such things are false and we try to put down such things wherever they come up. Crazy fools. Could be worse, could be a comet I suppose. Those always are bad.

“So…it has been two weeks since the new year.” I am in private confidence with my court chaplain Victor, the Bishop of Taipale.

“It has been Kaiserin.” Ahh Victor, a good proper German Bishop, he has served me ably for some time.

“Any Jesus?”

“The Lord Jesus is always with us Kaiserin.”

“Yes yes but I mean in the walking the earth sort of way.”

“Ahh…well…I believe that Jesus was said to return in Paris.”

“Really?”

“It was an imposter.”

“Pity that.” It is hard to keep my tone neutral. I am not exactly the most pious figure.

“Yes…”

“Any others?”

“None that seem to be the real Jesus no.”

“Who would have thought that it would turn out this way?”

“Yes well…maybe next century…” He insists. I think he was really hoping this would be the year and it wasn’t just random turn of the century craziness.

“Any reason my ancestors never conquered Mali?” Nice segue.

“Sentimental reasons I believe. Your Great-Grandfather was married to a princess of Mali and didn’t want to see her suffer.”

“Ahh…my Great-Grandmother I have never met.”

“Correct.”

The day after we sent word to the lords of Mali we were coming for their Muslim lands. Nearly 200,000 German soldiers from Africa, Portugal and England head into the jungles of the southern parts of Africa to invade. The lords of Mali are in revolt against their Sultan so I strike first at the rebels before trying to take the Sultan’s last lands. Meanwhile in the far east the Caliph of the Shia Muslims launches a Jihad for Syria. We will see if the Timurids join in on this. If they don’t well…the war will be a short one. Of course such things only serve to unite we of the Catholic faith.

2013-05-18_00001_zpsf014b693.jpg
2013-05-18_00002_zpsfd75cd47.jpg

Small flaw in the Caliph’s plan though. His lone mosque is in Holy Roman Empire Territory. In Syria no less. So within a month I have 50,000 men who take over his lone holding. This is the shortest Jihad ever. I think for that reason I will not try to claim the Caliph’s single holding in Syria. Keep that as an advantage should he call for another Jihad.

2013-05-18_00003_zps69937c7a.jpg

Meanwhile back west things are going well. First one part of Mali falls…

2013-05-18_00004_zpsb2f2aa76.jpg

And the Holy Orders I employ march in towards the rest. Yet during the war for the rest of Mali my second son and heir to the Imperial Throne comes of age. Now for a proper wife for the boy. Pity he didn’t seem to grow a beard. Well no matter. A good wife is needed to continue the family line. Pity none of the dukes had daughters properly of age for my boy.

2013-05-18_00005_zpsf1d95f39.jpg
2013-05-18_00006_zpse8b4007f.jpg

The war in Mali is slow going using only the Holy Orders but no matter. I can press against the Muslims that remain in east Africa as well now. Abyssinia is almost united under Christian rule once more. Though illness quickly took my son’s wife. Well…the Prince of the Holy Roman Empire will not remain unmarried for long. Perhaps instead of women from the heart of the Empire I will look further afield…

2013-05-18_00007_zpsfc378a12.jpg

Continuing the war in Abyssinia and Mali my son once more loses his wife. Seriously how can he just…go through wives like this? And where is my grandson from him? Well…third time the charm as they say. I don’t think they meant this though when they said it though. Along with my son getting married again we triumph after seven years in Mali. The whole of Mali now is part of the Holy Roman Empire and soon will be turned to proper Catholicism.

2013-05-18_00008_zps56d8bf38.jpg
2013-05-18_00010_zpsefad80f4.jpg

Poor mother. She never did live to see me be a father. My third wife is even pregnant. If only she had held on a few more months. No matter though. I am the Kaiser now. I have an heir on the way now. I have a good feeling about this wife. Our western borders are now safe and secure we can focus entirely on the east now. I vow that I will deal a telling blow to the Timurids in my reign!

2013-05-18_00009_zps93450422.jpg

I have inherited a war with King Yohannes of Abyssinia. By Muslim standards he is a heretic and by Christian standards he will not be a King much longer. The war will soon resolve in my favor and I can establish the Christian Kingdom of Abyssinia finally uniting all of Africa under the rule of the Holy Roman Empire.

2013-05-20_00001_zps1c5e8577.jpg

The land is given to a distant member of my family who is already a grandfather. Ensuring the region will remain safely in the hands of the family. The Timurids meanwhile are once more invading Byzantine lands in Mesopotamia. I would intervene but I need my heir still and of course my vassals are not yet in the right mood to back me in such a major endeavor. When I say I need an heir I mean I need another wife still. I only hope the Mongol forces bleed a bit cutting up that broken remnant while I find a new wife…

2013-05-20_00002_zps28f91dd5.jpg

My newest wife. A kindly woman and to celebrate my fourth marriage a grand tournament will be called to rally the citizens and lords behind me. I have made no choice yet to who will rule when I pass on. I remain hopeful for a proper heir still. If she can do that everyone will ignore her lowly birth.

2013-05-20_00004_zps6aca301b.jpg

The tournament goes off without a hitch. Things are going well. For us at least. Not so well for the Byzantines. They have lost control of the lands in the eastern deserts though the war is not concluded yet. Within a year of my marriage and the consummation of said marriage my dear fourth wife is with child. I find myself in church often praying for her successful pregnancy and health.

2013-05-20_00005_zps061072e8.jpg

The time has me on pins and needles such as they were. When word reaches me the guard has such a somber look on his face I drop to my knees sure that my wife has died in childbirth leaving me once again a widower. Then suddenly good news though! A son! A son to call my own! I name him after myself and name him heir to both Bavaria and the Holy Roman Empire. It is no surprise that with her survival and the birth of a child I find my heart opening to my dear wife.

2013-05-20_00007_zps632c5946.jpg
2013-05-20_00009_zps23fcdcb8.jpg

With that done I have been investing money into a standing army composed mostly of light and heavy cavalry. If I hope to break the forces of the Timurids I will need their steel. I have also started to scout out the region I hope to strike at them from. My target will be the parts of their territory in Anatolia. The region is mountainous it is true but the region of Chaldea borders their lands. I could gather a mighty sea force and lure them in to the region with a tempting target of some 30,000 soldiers perhaps then arrange it so my fleet lands to reinforce just as they move to invade. With vast superior numbers I can break their hold. I am confident of this scheme because the day I had discussed and devised this plan along with the top military minds of Europe my wife let me know she was pregnant once more.

2013-05-20_00010_zps53496358.jpg

I cannot make my move yet though. Several of the more powerful Kings and Queens of my realm need constant watching and care to ensure their loyalty. Trying such a war and getting a war of independence by such a group would be devastating for the Empire and could lead to us becoming swallowed under a sea of eastern barbarians. However I don’t get the chance to wait for them to become loyal. The Timurids invade. Perhaps I can still make my plan work and draw them in so we can strike at them. If we can pull them away from Syria towards Chaldrea…we may yet turn this invasion into the darkest war of their history.

2013-05-20_00011_zps528482bc.jpg

It isn’t long into the war before I have a second son. While we may lose Syria at least my personal line is secure I feel.

2013-05-20_00013_zps9f25d9d2.jpg

I am further blessed by the fact there are a few scattered baronies held by the Timurids in solidly Holy Roman Empire lands. This gives another way to try to lure them out by taking those provinces. A few are even coastal to help draw them ever more in towards the rest of my forces. So far though no sign of their most powerful armies. Soon enough that changes and hundreds of thousands of their forces move in through the Syria region. I have to reposition my forces to the Levantine Sea and hope I can still pull them in. History has shown how much we can lose when we are forced to march through the deserts to meet their forces. We shall use the one thing we dominate them at to win. Sea power.

2013-05-20_00015_zpsd144d7e1.jpg

The first battle using our sea power is a roaring triumph! Had the Mongols kept to the inner parts of Syria I fear to think how effective their forces would be but when I can catch them at the ocean and fight with ship and steel well things go differently. They thought they would fight a mere ten thousand not tens of times more than that! A great monument to mark this victory will be put in La Roche de Risole…assuming we win this war.

2013-05-20_00016_zpscb174f7e.jpg

My forces pull back to the ocean. The question is can I draw out the bulk of their forces which rampage around. In a stand up fight I have complete confidence in our forces. However the Mongols are hard to catch on their elite bow cavalry. They are lead by a crafty veteran. However if there is one thing I believe about the Timurids it is that they are too confident by far for their own good! The loss of a small force will not diminish their zeal or confidence. So which will win out. Ego or strategic wit?

2013-05-20_00018_zps7c46ca80.jpg

“To the most Profane and Flatulent Dungroller of the Timurids. Your father is a camel. Your mother is some kind of even more disgusting and slow witted beast. Antiocheia has never and will never fall to heathens like yourselves. In fact I have composed a bit of prose to illustrate this ideal.
There was a horde from the east.
Lead by the child of a beast.
You are dumb.”

Ok so it is not the most poetic work I have ever composed but if I am lucky it will succeed in infuriating the Mongol forces to try to crush the coastal region. Karloman, a peasent employed to deliver what he thinks is a peace offering, will be remembered for his heroic sacrifice. I doubt he will survive delivery. However…does the effort work or will Khagan Okhotur see through my plan?

2013-05-20_00019_zps167c777b.jpg

Latakiah is a sea of corpses! Four hundred thousand dead in a single battle! The battle raged from the 28th of February to the 10th of April and not a single soldier escaped. I am told that some of those who have seen the carnage gouged out their own eyes at the horror. I have read the letters written of the battle and it is horrifying. Here in the deepest parts of the Empire we celebrate the victory but is this the nature of man? Are we forever locked on a path of destroying each other? Will the wars get bigger and deadlier in the years to come? I put such thoughts from my mind to focus on reclaiming lost territory. Though it takes months after we drive them out of Syria and invade into their territory.

2013-05-20_00022_zpsdfaa4d0d.jpg

After one year and nine months of grueling warfare. Tens of thousands dead as they moved in through Syria like a wave then hundreds of thousands dead in battle as we through them back out the Khagan begs for peace along with my wife being with child again. I accept of course. I must prepare to lead an invasion into his lands now. Given losses in battle and in attacking holdings of his own I think we lost more than the Mongols did but unless their distant master sends them more of their elite horse archers I think we can defeat this Khagan now.

2013-05-20_00023_zps4205e7ba.jpg

With victory achieved against the Mongols it is time to press outwards once more. With manpower freed up from fighting them we can see about expansion. There are more lands to take in western Europe. Territories that should be part of the Holy Roman Empire. Nikopolos from the Byzantines, Upper Silesia from the Golden Horde, Sambia from the Duke of Prussia, and Zemgale in Courland. I also have a daughter. There is something about this child that even at a young age I think I will name her to the throne now. The Kaiserin’s of the Holy Roman Empire have always done very well.

2013-05-21_00001_zps1219aa54.jpg

The four wars I engage in swiftly resolve themselves in my favor. Expanding out eastern borders a little bit more and making the job a little easier for the royal cartographers and mapmakers. I am kind to my people.

2013-05-21_00003_zpsd8da508e.jpg
2013-05-21_00004_zps80c1b47f.jpg

2013-05-21_00006_zps62519232.jpg
2013-05-21_00009_zps8f5ca2c4.jpg

With those wars resolved once more my wife is pregnant as I prepare to assuault the Mongols properly now. With the main force of them defeated they shall be easy pickings and we can retake lands lost to them such as in Baghdad from years before.

2013-05-21_00005_zps788884c2.jpg

Perhaps it is the wife’s mood during her pregnancy or perhaps the pressures of the rule of such a vast empire but by the time my next child is born I find myself not in the mood to show mercy or kindness to those around me. It is a weakness that a Kaiser cannot afford. The free rides end here.

2013-05-21_00008_zps3f116898.jpg
2013-05-21_00010_zpsb8eddde9.jpg

In the winter of 1417 two more wars are launched. The final piece of Africa and the invasion of Baghdad. The first war is just mopping up. The second is to reverse the territorial gains the Timurids made at the expense of Holy Roman lives. Surprisingly though it is the Mongols who beg for piece first. Though I suppose I did throw overwhelming power against them.

2013-05-21_00012_zps605e9651.jpg

So with that Baghdad is once more part of the Holy Roman Empire. Lost for 60 years and finally regained. Shortly after the rest of Gondor falls letting me do this.

2013-05-21_00014_zpsa96b666d.jpg

Along with another pregnancy. This wife is the best wife!

2013-05-21_00005_zps788884c2.jpg

I begin a wave of minor well…I wouldn’t really call them wars. In taking certain territories independent barons are left. So a series of these minor county claims ring out across the Holy Roman Empire as I bring them into the fold and another child is born to my family.

2013-05-21_00016_zps74153409.jpg

Peace goes heavy over the Empire. There are few enemies left for us. Though of course we will press against the Timurids whenever we can we must for the most part wait. I am after all honorable and I will not break our truce. Besides, I have children to tend to.

2013-05-21_00017_zpsb18bd173.jpg
2013-05-21_00018_zps571e35c6.jpg

A rebellion amongst Timurid lands lets me try to press further land gains. Some of my vassals say to hold back but I say kick them while they are down! These Muslim Mongols need to be pushed completely out of Europe! The Tigris region is soon brought into my domain further stretching German rule ever eastwards.

2013-05-21_00019_zps0738d3d5.jpg

A clue from the next post which I am currently working on. Things remain very good for the Empire.

1427 and the year or two after it are a quiet time while I spend the coin of the realm on rebuilding my retinues that had served so well and ably in the wars against the Timurids. However my second son is now of age and it is time to find him a bride. I just hope he has better luck with wives than I did. I engage him to a young countess. She rules two counties within Bavaria’s borders so at least my son will find it easy to come and visit.

2013-05-24_00001_zps9d1eec4f.jpg

The Kingdom however knows little peace on the whole. The various vassals seem to always war against each other. Pressing this claim or that claim of one relative for this throne, or this county for one ruler. Tiresome truly. I however have my eyes on larger prizes. More land from the Byzantines and the Golden Horde. Lesser Poland and Mesembria in fact. Both quickly fall against my lightning quick assault. I shall call this technique a blitzkrieg. I should write that down in a German military manual for later fame…

2013-05-24_00002_zpsbe0adb6e.jpg
2013-05-24_00003_zps15bab243.jpg

With that done I can make the Kingdom of Bulgaria and take a short breather before once more sending my forces after Timurid lands. This time I want the territory of Mosul. It will make for another fine piece in the Empire once we have brought it back under German and Catholic sway. While this happens my daughter and current heir comes of age. She has grown up to be a fine woman and will make for a fantastic Kaiserin in time. She is not perhaps the deadliest warrior but she possesses a rare talent for making friends which will serve her well in the years to come. So now I must find for her just the right partner…

2013-05-24_00004_zpse7db38d1.jpg
2013-05-24_00006_zps56ce3e9a.jpg

The Timurids are at war already with the Byzantines and their forces concentrated away from Mosul. This makes it easy for troops drawn up from Greece, Arabia, Anatolia, Georgia, and Italy to sweep in against the scattered reduced defenders. A swift and crushing victory puts the territory in my hands along with enough land to make the Kingdom of Mesopotamia with my younger brother given the title.

2013-05-24_00007_zpsbf292156.jpg

Now I had planned to leave things alone for a while until this happened less than two months after our triumph in Mosul. Word reaching me of foreign events thanks to bordering all those places. Seems after these losses to me the Mongols would much rather the prince’s eldest son be on the throne.

2013-05-24_00009_zps0858fe40.jpg

A massive civil war across the Timurid realm. This is too great an opportunity to ignore. Though not fully rested from the prior wars a series of new declarations are sent out and soldiers mustered and dispatched. This will let me push into Persia. For who knows how long that region has ever been beyond the reach of Christian hands but that will change soon. I just wish my dear wife wouldn’t worry about politics.

2013-05-24_00010_zps6289bd44.jpg

The war takes a while due to the fact that many of those rebelling hold both lands in the Timurid’s eastern and western lands but eventually the civil war ends. However I have claimed 12 counties in that time, expanding Mesopotamia and founding the Kingdom of Armenia. Not long after the first civil war ends a new one springs up this one for complete independence. I hold back my forces for now as I need to bolster my numbers with fresh forces.

2013-05-24_00012_zps369afedc.jpg

So I must wait until 1436 when my soldiers are fresh and ready. The Timurid regions are still mostly in revolt and I plan to press on and take ever more land from the Mongols pushing out boundaries ever towards the east. Perhaps one day from Portugal to Cathay the Holy Roman Empire will rule…but for now that is just a dream. Some of my vassals are already making efforts to take territory and I say good for them. I however will be sure to once more full the full might of the Empire as I move to claim Tabriz and Azerbaijani. Of course I must also deal with a Jihad against me but really there is no threat there anymore.

2013-05-26_00001_zps5ad75416.jpg

Sadly before I can take any more territory the rebellion ends. No matter. There will be other chances. Though first my dear wife, who gave me such wonderful children, has passed on. Brita was a charming woman who always managed to make me smile and unlike my other wives lived more than a few years married to me. The children are deeply saddened especially young Anselm. He will find me remarrying the hardest I feel.

2013-05-26_00003_zps56a0dc8c.jpg
2013-05-26_00005_zps482593af.jpg

Another rebellion is another chance for another blow against the Mongol and Muslim threat. No not a rebellion but complete independence for several of the duchies now turning to heretical versions of the Sunni faith. Of course a new wife does mean new children.

2013-05-26_00006_zpsa7c7899a.jpg

Victory in Tabriz is met shortly by the birth of my first child by my newest wife. Our reach continues to press eastwards and at this stage I believe we have reclaimed all lands once held by the Empire at any point in our history. Anything new is just gains at this stage.

2013-05-26_00008_zpse4deb0e6.jpg

The gains are slow. The regions we move against in Persia are well defended and staffed by strong garrisons. They do fall in time but while that happens I get my dear wife with child anew.

2013-05-26_00006_zpsa7c7899a.jpg

The Timurid realm continues to fracture and break apart under the stresses of their Khagan taking up a heresy. Well if that is how he wishes to do things I shall liberate his people from his folly and celebrate of course my 10th child as well as victory against the Jihad.

2013-05-26_00009_zpsc17799b1.jpg
2013-05-26_00010_zps927d61fc.jpg

Using Holy Orders and my own personal retinue of forces I continue to push ever eastwards. Perhaps I am a modern day Alexander the Great? Shall I conquer my way to the distant east as he did? By the time the rebellion is put down I am in an interesting position. If I can take just a few more counties from the Timurids I can make the Kingdom of Persia. Just three and I can do it. It has been more than a century since the Mongols destroyed the Persian sultans. Yes. I will invade the Hormuz region. Victory here will give me the territory needed to establish the first Christian Kingdom of Persia.

2013-05-26_00011_zpsdb47b92e.jpg

The years after that are mostly quiet. There is a little bit of mopping up in the Persia region where independent barons or mosques must be brought into the fold but mostly things are quiet. The Timurids are on the run and while the Byzantines continues to slowly lose more and more land to us, no doubt one year they will be gone completely, the Golden Horde remains a bastion of Orthodoxy left in Europe. My daughter and granddaughter I feel will make for fine rulers but I still have some time in me yet. It is 1453 now and the world has reached a turning point.

(And this game is over! I will put up some posts later, maps, scores, etc, if you have any questions or comments please speak up, with this done soon will come another two AARs using the new Old Gods that will be out soon so look forward to that!)