• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New AI update for Wif2 Ver 1.7

HI all,

Here is the new update for wif2 ver 1.7.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mgxaa6a0ym9ekfm/ai_update_for_wif_2_ver_1.7.rar

quick fix, fragearup1 switch file. http://www.mediafire.com/download/xz3wlk3792b9xya/quick_fix_for_wif_2_ver_1.7.rar

Wow, i spent a lot of time on this. tried to balance the game a little more. check readme ver1.7, it is installed in Wif2 main directory.

Main points, increased GDE for all land doc but Germans, Blitz. by 8 points and sov land doc by 12.

I have now put in start dates for German events, i could not get any of my ideas to work. Most done for AI balance. German ai will follow historical DOW's and early events.

lots of issues with doing above, Ger would leave troops in Norway, troops bunched in Yugo, low troops on sov. border, i hope i fixed all. i did try to force Ger to garr. Sov border.

lowered all ai vs ai bonuses and negatives to just a 5 % change. just noticed this in events and will removed later. Some bonuses were crazy. Can now play as UK.

Research for majors reworked.

increased number of ships in fleets, grand ad. now at 24.

Worked on Japan going to pearl, slight change to sea zone to trigger.

USA should protect Northern border when Can. attacked.

japan DOw on USA in Oct or Nov.

Trade should be a little bit harder, tried some new numbers for cancel trade.

Fixed Sov move industry. Did not fix GPW, i have not changed trigger so not sure why it doesn't allow player to click on event. AI does do it.

Cheers!!!!

Last edited:
The missing GPW event is kind of cool, since you already have an easy time as Russia to beat a.i. Germany (despite their huge IC base).
I only tweaked some settings for my personal taste: 7 tech slots instead of 10 (because I hate scrolling), 25 IC instead of 20 per new tech slot. Glad that you've increased naval command limits.

Another Soviet game on normal (IC build until 1938). In 1943, I have 380 IC, Germany has about 630 IC!
Losses about equal at 2.000.000. Germany has 617 divs, 10.000.000 men at arms, 17.000 tanks and 1.800 mp left. I'm holding out in my fortresses from Stalingrad over Moscow to Leningrad. Meanwhile the Americans and Brits fight a war of attrition against Germany in Spain and Italy. Quite a comfortable situation.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Back from Canada and finally on vacation for a few weeks. :)

I have just updated the Churchill version with bug-fixes, following your reports (text issues, speed issue: reduced night hours in misc.txt - Please Dr. Bob change this in your AI Update files as well). See first post with details.

Also I would like to congratulate Dr. Bob for your wonderful work on the mod this past months and encourage you to continue as everyone is enjoying your work - even on French forums hehe. So please feel free to keep tweaking the mod's balance as you have been doing recently. :)

Cheers,
Rayan

@Dr. Bob: Would you like me to extract all the "balance" events to another file (say Gameplay.txt) so that you can modify them as you please in your AI updates and I can keep adding "historical" events to Mods.txt?
If so, please let me know what events you would like to see extracted (I see you tweak a lot the Barbarossa events for instance).

I don't know if this has been addressed, but I'm playing as the USSR and I'm having difficulty getting the Great Patriotic War decision to work.
I'm at March 1942 and have been steadily falling back since April '41 when the Germans started Barbarossa early. I've been able to keep building up forces and my rate of retreat has slowed since the winter - I now have around 320 divisions at the front.
The 15% of national provinces lost has just ticked over; I now have it with the green tick next to it to show that the decision can be activated, but when I click on it nothing happens. Is this a known bug? Are there hidden conditions I need to fulfill to make it work? Am I missing something completely obvious?

Last edited:
Yeah!!!! Fernando is back, :). thanks for comments, glad people are enjoying my updates.

First post has my latest update, no more checking the last pages of thread.

GPW event is a known issue, thanks.

Yes, on a new file gameplay, and it will only be events from the mods.txt file, then it should be an easy move. i'll get back to you on which events.

Cheers!!

Dr. Bob, I love you(r work)!
After the exams I finally got to continue my Soviet Union game.

Due to the unfortunately broken GPW-decision I'm hopelessly outproduced by Germany (310 IC vs. 600 IC). My strategy was to identify a defensive line which was to be held at all cost. I'm building land forts along that line (in most places level 6 has been reached). My strategy: Bind Germany in Verdun-style battles. Whenever a point in my line gets attacked, I rush in my mobile forces and rotate units in and out of the meat grinders. If I can force similar losses on Germany that I am suffering then they will break down eventually. After all the pressure from the Allies in the west gets heavier each month. Right now I am ever increasing my armoured spearheads. Hopefully I will be able to break through the German line near Stalingrad and trap their entire Caucasus army. That'll have to wait though as I still have my hands full holding the line.

The frontier in 1943:
rrbih2pd2stp.jpg

One of the planned meat grinder battles:
gf5dasyfkdna.jpg

The taken losses:
quaelcowpoaw.jpg

The Americans just got encircled in France and Italy. US losses closing in on 2 mio!
I seriously doubt that the American public would tolerate such losses. This is the one thing that's still bugging me in every HoI game and every mod: the tolerance towards losses is not simulated in any way. The USA has infinite IC and manpower and can simply run amok.

Is it possible to script a generic dissent event that always fires once a certain loss threshold has been reached?
I'm thinking of +5 dissent for every (500.000 losses * national modifier).
Let's say 0 < national modifier <= 2. A war weary France would have a 0.5 modifier, letting the dissent-event fire for every 250.000 casualties. Germany would have 1.7 and the Soviets 2.0 to reflect the comparably high tolerance towards losses. You could even factor in the casus belli. If the US joins the war without being attacked (no Pearl Harbour yet), then obviously the casualty tolerance would be much lower.

The entire Japanese strategy was based on attrition: inflict the amount of casualties on the US necessary to make them surrender. Didn't work out in the end, but the concept itself works.

^very true, and democracies should be much more vulnerable to such casualties related dissent.

Also I've noticed japan to always receive ungodly casualties, they have 3.5 mil dead by 1943 in the above game by 1943. But they only had a little more than 2 mil in WW2. The JAP AI is way too aggressive and careless in its attacks. Aside from all of the interbranch problems, and intra military political intrigues, which plagued the reaction time and organisation of the military. Japan aligned up its strategies and doctrines on European ww1 military tactics to the level that to call the war with China an 'invasion' is debatable since all of the land gains were done so through specific operations, so that there was not a single continuous engagement. And the Chinese took this as an advantage to engage Japan in simultaneous conventional and guerrilla warfare.

Preview of new events from the upcoming 'Desert Fox' version:

Code:
### 9300272  CAN  Conscription Crisis
### 9300273  SOV  Stalin's Initial Surprise at Barbarossa
### 9300274  SOV  Great Patriotic War Speech
### 9300275  GER  The Luftwaffe Hits Soviet Airfields
### 9300276  SOV  The Luftwaffe Hits Soviet Airfields
### 9300277  GER  The Luftwaffe Hits Soviet Airfields - The Operation is a Success
### 9300278  GER  The Luftwaffe Hits Soviet Airfields - The Operation is a Failure
### 9300279  USA  Speed Up Manhattan Project
### 9300280  GER  Afrika-Korps Training
### 9300281  ENG  Western Desert Campaign
### 9300282  GER  Priorities for 1942
### 9300283  GER  Priorities for 1943
### 9300284  ENG  Hobart's Funnies
### 9300285  ENG  Mj Gen Hobart Dismissed
### 9300286  ENG  Mj Gen Hobart Re-Enlisted

1944, I managed to cut off the German armies in the Caucasus. Pretty shocked by the sheer amount of casualties and it's not even completely over yet.
6iai98dsjqn2.jpg

r8gryxxa2s5z.jpg

I could definitely do that but for humans only. The only downside I see is that it would favor a "winners win more, losers lose more" logic.

Not really. Currently I'm witnessing the US-forces employing a "human wave 2.0" strategy in Europe. 2.4 mio US casualties, come on! They're engaging the Axis in Spain, in Italy, in constant D-Days...
It looks like an unstoppable onslaught. In game logic, the US has the most IC and manpower, so it simply throws everything but the kitchen sink at the enemy. Far from the cautious, manpower-conserving approach in real history. If you could find a way to simulate the firepower doctrine (rather lose a ton of material than one soldier), the Americans would be portrayed much more plausible.
It would be more like "winners don't crush everything at will"-logic.

I get what you mean but I am afraid it is a matter of AI behavior rather than adding an event to the game. Now given the unfortunately very limited time I can devote to this mod, I have given up on affecting AI behavior. But Dr Bob is doing an amazing job with his AI add-on and I'm sure he could tweak the US AI to make it more cautious. There are various parameters to play around with, such as recklessness or attack odds.

I honestly think the Blitzkrieg doctrine line should add supplies or oil cost to mobile units for their superior momentum punch power.

Also why wouldnt Free France start out of alliance from UK, and be at war with Vichy. Keep the FF alliance in flags, and Vichy's too so they dont get into WW2 too much. Maybe it would be better than 'event combat', as skirmishes and deep operations campaigns happened to bring parts of the French Empire back into the allies post mers elkebir.

One more thing I noticed. German a.i. on normal not only has a whooping 600 IC, but also can't supply half of its mobile forces with oil. From 1942 onwards, the German oil stockpile was around 0 and consumption around twice what Germany could provide.
With over 600 divisions, I would probably look into limiting German unit production a bit. Maybe just reducing IC by 10-15%.