• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question: This is the only mod that doesn't auto-delete old auto-saves. Is there a way to change this? It clogs up the save-list and leads to a massive save folder.

It's in the Misc. file. I can post the actual line when I get home from the office, but you can do a search for "save" within the document and change the "1" to "0".

Edit: Here it is:

# Use new auto-save file format: AutoSave_Country_Year_Month_Day.eug. 1 - Enabled, 0 - Disabled.
0 # WiF has this set to 1

Can u explain your tactics? How many fighters do u use? Oilreserves in mid 42 left? CAS or tact. bombers?
I can safely assume that his strategy is to not really commit the Luftwaffe at the beginning of Barbarossa, overrun the Soviet air forces on the ground, then only use the Luftwaffe to contain the enemy land forces.

Started another Germany game with the latest beta. I'm in 1934 now, some observations:
- you have changed the pre-historical date research modifier back from -0.00137 (exactly 2 years) to -0.0022 (454 days)
- with the peace-time penalties it's not attractive for Germany to trade for or convert oil in 1933. 0 oil is no disadvantage when at peace and not building IC. So I spent all of 1933 with 0 oil and just right now enabled conversion again to start building IC (which is not possible without oil).
- good hint for everybody who wasn't aware of it: When reducing dissent in 1933, switch the interior minister to the one that gives -10% consumer needs, in April(?) get Hermann Esser into office for +50% money. Then whenever you're at 5% dissent fire one step of the conscription decision. Only start building IC once you've fired all conscription events. Reason: The additional mobilization steps reduce build time a lot! From -50 or -60% to -0%!

Edit1: 1937
I decided to grab Denmark and Norway pre-WW2 once their guarantee of independence runs out. WW2 shall begin once the snow dries in 1940. I never managed (in WiF2) to take out Poland and France before the winter of 1939. Conquering France in winter is a tedious, attritional war.
Hence my rationale: Blitz Poland in 1940, then immediately go west. With the additional 6 months of build-up those campaigns will hopefully go over smoother as well.

Edit2: August 1938
Denmark and Norway annexed. Now belligerence reduction and starting to mass produce 1939 tech units.

Edit3: April 1940
I just started WW2 and blitzed Poland in 6 days, new personal record. Mots, tanks and paratroopers! I got 108 submarine flottillas ready to sink the 2.700 British convoys. Next step: swift shift of my army westwards to finish France to be back on schedule for a 1941 Barbarossa.

Edit4: April 1941
Building up for Barb (northern strategy).
I'm shocked to see a reasonable UK-a.i. that actually mass produces convoys to replace losses. I've already sunk 2,500 convoys and they still got 800. Need some more subs.

Last edited:
I can safely assume that his strategy is to not really commit the Luftwaffe at the beginning of Barbarossa, overrun the Soviet air forces on the ground, then only use the Luftwaffe to contain the enemy land forces.

Sort of, i couldnt advance very far last time (soviets dowd me in oct 42.)
Normally i only build FTR, sometimes Cas and some str. Reason is that ftr are both good for bombing runs as for air superiority and dont get beaten to death when encountered. Some Str, for logistical strikes and later nukes.

The luftwaffe stayed on the ground in the first phase, or attacked only in the caucasus (had persia conquered and built airfields there) I pushed for air sup in the areas where i wanted to advance or was on the retreat.

In an attritional war every plane is needed, put your own planes on scramble, preferably one province behind your front and allied units on air superiority over the area. Oil was scarce, but with the middle east and caucasus in axis hands it was even scarcer for the soviets. 1200divs and several armor let them run dry at 7 in the morning even with 500 oil imported from the usa, so my strategy was to secure as much oil for the axis as possible, while interdicting any soviet trade. Therefore i retreated all my subs from the atlantic and blocked bering streat, while grabbing murmansk and archangelsk, which were later fortified. I run out of oil nevertheless, at 18h each day, luftwaffe still in action, ground attack for the most part, with v2 and strats destroying soviet frontline logistics. Then the invasion of venezuela started, well no problem since the rn and usn were mere shadows of their former selves due to navs and subs. From there it was a matter of time till the sovs ran out of men.

In a mobility campaign (which it would be in summer 40'/'41) I#d recommend using the luftwaffe when you start to lose momentum. It is the instrument which allows you to dig in and form a new defensive line, give your units some desperatly needed rest. Conquer their airfields first, when their airforce starts to annoy you send in your ftr and bomb their remaining airfields for 1 or 2 days.

Are the icons for units different to those that come with purchased versión 1.03?
Can i have it install with the original game? Someone that played it can summarize the main new feature with only a sentence (or more :))?

Hey FT, what about an event for the german "pocket battlehip"?

For example in 1937:
-5.000 supply -5.000 metal -1.000 money
Gains: blueprints 1938 CA, 1941 CA; -30% production time after "renouncing naval investment"; CA sea attack +2, sea defense +2

Update 5, October 1941

Historical Barbarossa. I picked Halder's plan and went straight towards Moscow without any encirclements.
After Moscow I drove north-east towards Archangelsk to cut off the Soviet forces in the Baltics, Leningrad area and Finland. After mopping up the pocket (about 1.500.000 Soviets, not really a big one), I strat-redeployed my tanks and mots for the final, huge encirclement of the entire Ukraine. The screen is where I left off. I now have to disrupt the supplies by either sinking all convoys or capturing all ports in the Caucasus.

There are a total of 260 Soviet divisions trapped in the pocket!

nucch4sv1mpr.png

Update 6, January 1942
It is done, the pocket is cleared:

m7m8b3wtgzca.png

Conclusion:
What works best for me in Barbarossa is to focus the attack on one axis only. Either north or south. Create one huge pocket, mop it up and then create the second big one (north then south, or south then north). Be sure to have closed the second pocket before winter 1941.
You can then relax and let the unsupplied trapped Soviets starve.
Use 1942 to simply grab as much territory as needed for BP to fire. After the second pocket, the Soviets had some 130 divs left which don't pose a threat anymore.

Last edited:
Historical Barbarossa. I picked Halder's plan and went straight towards Moscow without any encirclements.
After Moscow I drove north-east towards Archangelsk to cut off the Soviet forces in the Baltics, Leningrad area and Finland. After mopping up the pocket (about 1.500.000 Soviets, not really a big one), I strat-redeployed my tanks and mots for the final, huge encirclement of the entire Ukraine. The screen is where I left off. I now have to disrupt the supplies by either sinking all convoys or capturing all ports in the Caucasus.
So is it preferable to invade in 1940 or 41? What was your army composition? I'm currently invading Russia in 1940 and it's not going that well (although I have managed to encircle over 100 divisions).

An event should happen in 1940 to create muddy and stormy weather conditions along the vistula and the border with russia. Plans had been made to invade russia in 1940, but even military organization/power were not a question when major floodings would have made it impossible to cross areas with a motorized army.

I never got that decision and was able to take quite a bit of land, including Ukraine, Belarus, and the Baltic. I'm thinking more in terms of military preparedness: whether the Pinkos will be more prepared than I am in 41 compared to 40

So is it preferable to invade in 1940 or 41? What was your army composition? I'm currently invading Russia in 1940 and it's not going that well (although I have managed to encircle over 100 divisions).

I've never tried 1940. What works best for me is to start WW2 in early 1940 by blitzing Poland and France before summer. Then you still have the Sealion option. You also have enough time to research the assembly techs.
As for the composition, will have to check later. Then I can give you screenshots.

Here is my army composition on May 6th, 1941, the day I launched Barbarossa. Didn't assume military control of my allies.
8y4fjjnopf.png

1. stage:
One axis rush towards Moscow, which I captured in July(?). Then drive north to close the pocket. I forgot to fire the "continuation war"-decision which is why the first pocket was rather small. When I took that decision, it was already too late. The Soviets had no divs on the Finnish border when I closed the trap. If you get Finland to join the war when you launch Barbarossa, the Soviets will move a lot of troops there and your first pocket will be much bigger!

2. stage:
In October just before winter broke out, I launched the 2nd stage after having amassed my mobile units south of Moscow. A straight drive towards Donezk and beyond to trap the entire Ukraine. The Soviets have the bulk of their army there because of the Hungarian and Romanian forces. Instead of sinking all convoys, I simply capture the remaining Caucasus ports, then simply waited until spring to starve the unsupplied Red Army. In spring 1942 I quickly seized as much territory around Stalingrad and further east to trigger Bitter Peace.

It helps if you build some fortresses along the way (mainly on the yellow arrow towards Moscow). With Todt as Armaments minister, the Siegried-line event and construction tech, you can build 1 level of land forts within 2 months! I fortified the yellow line with lvl.4 forts which rendered any Soviet counter attacks moot.
jm3q93qdwwud.png

Basic tips:
- Have the maximum amount of SS-troops built. Mot, Armour and infantry. The urban fighting capabilities are sweet. You can easily capture cities (like Moscow) with your armoured spearhead SS troops.
- Mots with AC attachment only, anything else will reduce speed.
- Move infantry mainly with strategic redeployment.
- Usual blitz: SS mots rush ahead, tanks follow, strategically redeployed infantry hold the ground. The second your mots capture a province, pause and strat redeploy 6-12 infantry there. The tanks will hold the province until the infantry arrives and then moves ahead.
- mots are your most important unit, due to the incredible speed. I hope vanilla DH will eventually nerf the 28 speed cause mots are seriously overpowered
- airpower: you can do with or without it. If used properly airpower is effective, but if you spend the IC in mots and tanks it also has great benefits.

Hi all,

I followed the installation instructions but the main screen of the mod only displays "World in Flames 2". It does not say "gold version" anywhere. Did I mess something up?

Nope, everything's peachy! No "gold version" supposed to show up anywhere.