• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

toronado97

Corporal
72 Badges
Mar 13, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 2
Hey all, I just purchased Victoria 2 about a week ago and really liked it. I had decent success with Sardinia-Piedmont and Japan both, and enjoyed the game so much I bought A House Divided. I was really looking forward to AHD, but I cannot for the life of me make my industries profitable with any country that isn't already a Great Power. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but in reading some threads it seems like it may be a fairly common problem and that there may be some mods out there that help fix this. I'm such a noob I have no idea what mods are available and what they do, so if anyone could point me in the direction of something that might help out with balancing the economy somewhat so that lesser prestiged nations still have a chance to compete I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Seems like you need only some basic advise.
Read up: http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/

Things to concentrate on:
*First bring admin efficiency to 100% in your core provinces by raising bureaucrats in each to 1%. This will improve collection of taxes, lower corruption related losses and improve POP promotion (only your accepted culture bureaucrats raise admin eff, so colonies peak at 30% or below before you research some AE techs)
*Then start raising clergy. 2% nets you max bonuses to research points. Up to 4% provides more growth in literacy (if you start above 50% lit. no need to go past 3%). Under 20% literacy POPs don't work in factories!
*When clergy is ok, raise clerks. These are employed by factories. They improve factory efficiency. Up to 8% provides max research point bonuses. Clerk boosting is situational - if they don't get employed, no point to continue boosting.

You do this by using national focuses. Promote bureaucrats etc.

Saving money includes lowering national stockpile to 10-20% if there is no repairing to be done and no real threat of war.
If you can afford to continue with 100% it provides more demand to your artisans & factories products, but if you need to save money - then save.
Also when you've built more man'o'wars or steamers than you can really afford, disable buying of steamer convoys and artillery. But watch out. Move the slider left first before unchecking the automate box. Or it will make a rather large buy order the next day.

When you have 1% bureaucrats, 2% clergy and literacy is climbing fast (education efficiency techs help), you generate many research points. Then just research power line in the industry and factory input & output techs + everything else that suits your specific RGOs (clean coal?) and industries.

Machine parts & cement is needed to keep factories maintained (if not, efficiency malus). Then just follow the demand. Close unprofitable factories whose products seem to be constantly oversupplied at the world market.
Guns & ammo seem to be never profitable. Liquor, Wine, Furniture, Steel, Lux Furniture, Lux Clothes are safe bets. Of these you might not get enough tropical wood, silk and iron from the world market. But everything else plus cement & glass in the beginning can be profitable. Late game is dominated by access to oil & rubber.

If you build just enough to satiate the demand of your own POPs & your SOI, your factories should always do fine. World market is more competitive. By the way - use tariffs sparingly, you just starve your factories by making inputs XX% more expensive.

Last edited:
I don't want to come across harsh, so don't take this the wrong way. That is all very basic advice, and it's stuff that I've been doing for several games now. I've run with Sardinia-Piedmont in four consecutive AHD games now and I am completely unable to establish any type of industry with them. Yes, my clergy is at 2%, and yes my literacy is climbing, and yes my administrative efficiency is 100%. I almost always use negative tariffs to help my factories purchase goods to use in production that I may (and probably don't) produce myself. I cannot keep factories solvent. If I allow capitalists to build willy nilly, they all close weeks after opening up, unemployment is through the roof, and people are angry. In vanilla Victoria 2 I can run with Sardinia-Piedmont and have a very solid industrial base and positive cashflow very early on, and can even bring in 500-1000 a day in the black after some tech upgrades. In AHD, I am LUCKY to break even, and typically my income is all over the place, up and down. Artisans are all completely useless and out of work for some reason I can't understand (not something I ever dealt with in vanilla it seems), etc. I feel as if something is either broken or poorly optimized for the non Great Powers.

Yeah well, you can use negative tariffs all you want, but you won't get anywhere. If there's not enough stuff for you to buy, it doesn't matter. You should almost always use what you have. SP has coal and fruit, maybe some grain. Build a glass factory and a winery. Problem solved. Well, not really, because you're still small, but anyway. Use your own materials when possible.

The mod that most people, yours truly included, use is PDM. It's the only active mod anyway it seems, most others have stopped getting updates. Oh and pre-AHD economy is too easy, that's why you're having more trouble with AHD.

I have yet to keep a glass factory open. In every playthrough so far I cannot acquire coal on the world market, and I don't produce enough internally to fuel the factory. Winery doesn't produce because there's no glass, glass factory doesn't produce because there's no coal. I only assume that the coal is being bought out by the more prestigious nations before I can get my hands on it, but who knows. I will check out the mod you posted however and thanks.

I have yet to keep a glass factory open. In every playthrough so far I cannot acquire coal on the world market, and I don't produce enough internally to fuel the factory. Winery doesn't produce because there's no glass, glass factory doesn't produce because there's no coal. I only assume that the coal is being bought out by the more prestigious nations before I can get my hands on it, but who knows. I will check out the mod you posted however and thanks.

Are you SOI'd?

Don't use tariffs, positive or negative. Positive tariffs (as you probably know) just end up choking industry, while negative tariffs help Artisans a lot more than factories (because Artis don't pay maintenance) - and so you might be choking your fledgling industry through internal competition with Artis.

Coal is pretty hard to come by early, but after the first 10-20 years there's unimaginably tons of the stuff. You quite simply won't be able to compete with the UK til a few places have developed Clean Coal as Sardinia, so don't even bother trying in the early game. You'll need to NF clerks as well - the output bonus they give is HUGE, and is the best way to keep an early factory profitable.

Forget about Industry techs until you have factories which are actually turning a profit. Commerce is the key - you want as much output efficiency as possible early on, while raw materials are rare. Commerce and Culture will boost your output efficiency to the point where a factory can live without cement, and will lift your prestige so that you can get onto the market sooner.

Essentially, only big countries and GPs can consistently industrialize successfully before about 1860. Others will float around 5~ industry score. If you Prestige bubble then you can grab a head start, though as S-P you're going to have other things to worry about, so you probably can't pursue an industry-heavy strategy til Austria is beaten.

I like some of the advice here, but can you explain to me why coal was unavailable to my factories for the latter half of my playthrough, even with a prestige of 11 and a power ranking of 9-11 fluctuating? None of my coal using factories were receiving ANY coal according to my production tab, even though the world market seemed to have more than enough for me to use. It's things like that which I find very confusing and somewhat frustrating.