• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
in belarus/ukrain i think yoush should immediately start withdrawing to the old soviet frontier + that one province west of minsk
Shortening the frontline might indeed be a good idea, although you need to check how much IC/resources/MP there are in the provinces you are leaving to the enemy. Even if the enemy is not gaining that much from them, you are losing the full value of everything that there is in province X, so it's good to hold high-value provinces as long as possible. Besides, you want to delay the Axis as long as possible, anyway.

in belarus/ukrain i think yoush should immediately start withdrawing to the old soviet frontier + that one province west of minsk

Shortening the frontline might indeed be a good idea, although you need to check how much IC/resources/MP there are in the provinces you are leaving to the enemy. Even if the enemy is not gaining that much from them, you are losing the full value of everything that there is in province X, so it's good to hold high-value provinces as long as possible. Besides, you want to delay the Axis as long as possible, anyway.

I will do a fighting retreat! Order No. 227 "Not a step back! (unless necessary) :p" is issued :D! We will see where the enemy brings me!

000.jpg

4th of July 1941 01:45 Stavka HQ

Zhukov thought about the dark clouds that are looming in the west, the past 3 days had been the worst of the invasion. The situation is getting worse by the day, should he take control of the front that is losing city by city, town by town? He could not appoint himself without informing Staling, were is the boss? Zhukov took a deep breath and looked at the reports on his desk.

ZhukovJuly.jpg

General Zhukov

Karelian & Leningrad Front

01Sortvala.jpg

The battle for Sortavala was almost lost, but on the 1st of July 3 new infantry divisions arrived from the Leningrad front. The battle is fought around small villages, wit some villages changing hands multiple times a day.

03Redeploymentnorth.jpg

The six new divisions coming from the Caucasus are moving to the northern border wit Finland to prevent a siege of Murmansk.

Baltic Front

05Kaunas.jpg

Reports were coming the Germans renewed their offensive in the Baltic, they were moving in the direction of Kaunas.

advanceonKaunas.jpg

Panzers and armored halftrack on the move to Kaunas.

Belorussian Front

06Retreatlines.jpg

As we see the Germans are focusing on our two fronts in the center, the Belarusian front and the 1st Ukrainian front. If these offensives keep going the way they are, the Baltic and 2nd Ukrainian fronts needs to retreat as well.

movingbelarus.jpg

German column moving true a forest in Byelorussia.

Ukrainian Front

02Proskurov.jpg

Romanian troops start a attack on Proskurov on the 2nd of July, we can hold of this Romanian attack. But where are al the German divisions? And what is Rommel planning? Shaposhnikov cant afford himself many more defeats and routs!

03Rowe.jpg

A few hours later newly promoted Field Marshal Rommel began attacking toward Rowe, Field Marshall Shaposhnikov ordered the retreat a few hours later. It seems the 1st Ukrainian needs reinforcements. The Germans becoming stronger by the day, at this rate Kiev is in German hands by mid August!

ukrainretreat.jpg

Red Army tank division on the retreat from the defeat at Rowe.

08Kamenets.jpg

On the 3rd of July it seemed the attacks on Proskurov and Rowe were part of something much bigger, they are part of a grand offensive in the south!

vehicle_sdkfz251_221.jpg

A resting Panzer division, part of Field Marshall Rommel’s victories army in the Ukraine.

Battles still raging late on the 3rd of July

09Battles.jpg

Sortavala as always! Kaunas received 6 divisions in reinforcements and is holding out. Proskurov is a much needed victory in the Ukraine, although it was against weak Romanian forces. To the north Rowe has fallen to Rommel, a retreat is imminent! Kamenets-Podolsky also seems lost because of German break true at Rowe.

Badtimes.jpg

Soviet heavy tank being inspected by German soldiers in the Ukraine. Al roads in the Ukraine leading east had abandoned Red Army vehicles and heavy weapons alongside it.

Other news

04Balticfleet.jpg

On the 3rd of July the Baltic fleet encountered the Finnish navy, all guns blazing the two fleets battled!

07Seavictory.jpg

After a few hours the Finnish navy escaped, but without any destroyers, the Baltic fleet sunk them! The Finnish navy is out of order for a long time. This is a good victory, we will use this as propaganda material!

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the Romanians caused you so much trouble. Rowne is another strategically located province, which will allow the Germans to continue the offensive in Ukraine. I expect that they will soon threaten Minsk, too, which will force you to move troops closer to Riga.

I'm surprised that the Romanians caused you so much trouble. Rowne is another strategically located province, which will allow the Germans to continue the offensive in Ukraine. I expect that they will soon threaten Minsk, too, which will force you to move troops closer to Riga.

The Romanians have not caused me trouble, except when they are combined wit German divisions. I have yet to lose a battle against mainly Romanian divisions.

The rest I completely agree with!

000.jpg

9th of July 1941 00:10 Stavka HQ

ZhukovJuly.jpg

Stalin has returned from his dacha were he had stayed several days, after the report on the strategic situation Zhukov had given him on the 26th of June. Right away he asked Zhukov: "tell me the truth, what is the current situation?" Zhukov and Stalin leaned over the maps and reports.

Stalin.jpg

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin

Overview of current Axis gains and battles on the 8th of July.

02Battles.jpg

Two very important battles in the Ukraine at Proskurov and Kamenets-Podolsky to stop Rommel and German Army Group South. Also the ongoing slaughter at Sortavala, and around Wilno the battle for the Baltic. At Chisinau another German/Romanian attempt to cross the first river out of Romania.

03Fleet.jpg

The victories Baltic Fleet returned back to Leningrad, Kuznetsov knew the Kriegsmarine was to strong to face. No more enemy’s we can face!

Baltic Front

01Wilno.jpg

German army group North stopped their advance on Kaunas on the 5th of July and turned their forces toward Wilno. If Wilno would be captured, the whole Baltic front would have to retreat behind the river Daugava. General Popov ordered 8 mobile divisions to support the forces around Wilno.

Belorussian Front

02Center.jpg

The road to Minsk seems open, the Belarusian front is collapsing! The time to fire Field Marshall Timoshenko commander of the Belarusian Front seems right!

01Lufwaffe.jpg

The Luftwaffe harasses retreating Red Army columns in Belorussia.

stuka.jpg

A group of Stuka dive bombers in the skies above Belorussia.

Ukrainian Front

01South.jpg

Because of defeats to the north, at Tarnopol, Rowe and the ongoing battle at Proskurov the undefeated 2nd Ukrainian Front around Odessa needs to retreat.

Last edited:
Just as expected, you are hard pressed in Belarus and Ukraine. I still think that you can hold the Baltic States if your frontline in Belarus doesn't collapse, because the Germans cannot attack you from more than 2 sides there and the river's location is beneficial for you.

The Romanian Front will be a stalemate, unless the Germans advance in the direction of Kiev, which will force you to give ground.

Just as expected, you are hard pressed in Belarus and Ukraine. I still think that you can hold the Baltic States if your frontline in Belarus doesn't collapse, because the Germans cannot attack you from more than 2 sides there and the river's location is beneficial for you.

The Romanian Front will be a stalemate, unless the Germans advance in the direction of Kiev, which will force you to give ground.

If Wilno falls a retreat in the Baltic and Belarus is inevitable!
I hope the German advance true the Pripet Marches will take some time, so I can reorder the defence in the two provinces in front of Minsk (Vilejka & Sarny I think).
I will have to retreat behind The Dnieper River at the end of the year in the south, I will try to slow them down as much as I can! The divisions in the north of the Ukraine have lost allot of strength, hope they get some time to reinforce!
Romanian front absolutely depends on what happens to the north.

Last edited:
000.jpg

10th of July 1941 00:10 Stavka HQ

Zhukov came back from a long dinner with Stalin, when he entered the map room he was glad to see his staff still working late. But why was everybody looking so serious and sad? Zhukov asked: “who died?, what is going on?”. A staff officer answered: “Sir we have some bad news coming from the Ukraine and Baltic front!”.

Stavka.jpg

Zhukovs staff updating the maps.

Battles still raging on the morning of the 9th of July.

02Battles0907.jpg

The battle of Sortavala enters his 17th day
The Germans stopped their advance on Wilno after red army reserves arrived, a day later they renewed their advance on Kaunas.
The battle of Slutsk started early on the 9th.
The battle of the Ukraine is being fought in Proshurov and Kamenets-Podolsky.

Baltic Front

07KaunasRetreat0907.jpg

Late on the 9th the seven divisions holding on to Kaunas were ordered to retreat, this is a result of the gamble of general Popov to throw al his reserves into the battle of Wilno.

Belorussian Front

01Slutsk0907.jpg

Early in the morning of the 9th of July German army group centre continued their advance on Minsk. The defences in Slutsk were not yet fully prepared, unorganised divisions had arrived in the 48 hours before the attack. Wave after wave of German infantry was thrown at Timoshenko’s divisions.

belarustrench.jpg

Unfinished Red Army trench near Slutsk a few hours before the German attack.

Ukrainian Front

03Ukraine0907.jpg

German army group South keeps on rolling, the most famous Field Marshall in the war keeps his tanks and infantry rolling. Exhausted Red Army divisions try to hold of the invaders, but they have reached their limit. Field Marshall Shaposhnikov had asked for permission to retreat 2 times on the 9th, Zhukov denied this request both times, he had to discuss this wit Stalin first.

04Ukraineretreat0907.jpg

Field Marshall Shaposhnikov started a retreat in the evening, after being in danger of encirclement. He thought about suicide, but hoped he could plead his case wit Stalin and Zhukov. Another defeat and chaotic retreat in the Ukraine!

05Ukraineretreat0907.jpg

As a result of events in the north the whole 2nd Ukrainian front is ordered to retreat, the frontline is closing in on our beautiful city of Odessa. General Purkaev commander of the 2nd Ukrainian front is rumored to be a candidate to replace Field Marshall Timoshenko in Byelorussia because of the heroic defence of Chisinau. Stalin also mentioned him as Zhukov’s replacement if Zhukov was going to command a front.

sadretreat.jpg

Painting made by a artist somewhere near Balti, sad undefeated soldiers retreating.

06Logisticstrike0907.jpg

Zhukov ordered the tactical air fleets in the Ukraine and southern Byelorussia to start bombing the infrastructure around Lvov and Brest-Litovsk to slow down the German logistics.

sovietbomber.jpg

Tactical bombers on their way to western Ukraine to bomb roads and bridges.

overview of battles and retreats late on the 9th of July.

01Battles1007.jpg

The battle of Wilno has been renewed by the Germans after their victory at Kaunas.
The battle at Slutsk broke al records of casualties on one day for both sides, some trenches or foxholes changed sides multiple times a hour.

germanfoxhole.jpg

The Germans started digging their own trenches under enemy fire at Slutsk.

Last edited:
all of that was forseen... too bad scenario doesnt include what was left of the "stalin line" anyway i think you are handling retreats quite well, gerries offensive should stall soon (2-3 months)

all of that was forseen... too bad scenario doesnt include what was left of the "stalin line" anyway i think you are handling retreats quite well, gerries offensive should stall soon (2-3 months)

I agree, there should have been a few provinces with lv1 forts to simulate the Stalin line!

Yeah, no big surprises ATM. I agree that casual is handling withdrawals quite well.

Thx, I am curious were the frontline will be in 2-3 months!

000.jpg

July 13th 00:05 1941 Stavka HQ.

ZhukovJuly.jpg

A major offensive by Axis forces was on the mind of Zhukov. “How to stop this ongoing rolling thunder” he thought. Two options: retreat to shorten the frontline or a fighting retreat. Stalin wants to fight for every inch of land, no matter the cost. Zhukov was also in favor of a fighting retreat, but one that slowed down the Germans but also keeps the army up to strength. Right now more than 90% of the divisions were under strength and in badly need of reinforcements.

Battles & retreats on the morning of the 11th of July.

01Battles1107.jpg

The Finnish army turns east and attacks Segezha.
In between the cities of Riga and Minsk three battles are being fought. Panevezys, Wilno and Vilejka are under heavy pressure by army group North and Center.
The battle of Novograd-Volynsky to the south of the Pripet marches.

02Finland1107.jpg

After their defeat at Sortvala, the new objective of the Finnish army is Segezha.

02Leningradbomb1007.jpg

The Luftwaffe’s first bombing of the city of Leningrad, the main targets are factories and the harbor of the Baltic fleet. The anti air gun crews of the city’s garrison got their first action.

Baltic Front

03Panevezys1107.jpg

After the victory in Kaunas, German army group North kept the pressure on in the Baltic. Panevezys is attacked on the 11th of July.

05Wilno1107.jpg

The Battle of Wilno can not be sustained by the red army, there are not enough reserves in the region.

Belorussian Front

04Vilejka1107.jpg

After a failed attack on Slutsk the Germans started a advance on Vilejka on the 11th.

forest.jpg

German machinegun team in a forest near the town of Vilejka.

Ukrainian Front

06Novograd1107.jpg

On the 11th the Germans started attacking in the direction of Novograd-Volynsky, the previous battles in the Ukraine have hade their impact on Red Army strength in this sector. Orders were given to hold out as long as they can and wait for reinforcements.

Current plans on the northern front

01Battlesdecision1207.jpg

The army’s defending against the German offensive in the north, to outflank Riga and Minsk should fight on until Stavka orders the retreat. Twelve infantry divisions will reinforce the battle for Vilejka, the forests around Minsk should absorb as much German divisions as we can. We must slow down the advance on Minsk and Smolensk!

infantry.jpg

Infantry on the move to the battle of Vilejka.

Other news

01industry1007.jpg

Currently al focus is on reinforcing our divisions, this process will stay a constant factor as the Germans will keep attacking the coming months.
We need some deals to import energy.

07Tobruk1107.jpg

Headlines all around the world are: “Tobruk has fallen!”. Italian tanks entered the city on the 11th of July.

newstobruk.jpg

The daily mirror.

Last edited:
Wilno will fall. That alone will force you to withdraw...

Anyway, great update.

You are right! Wilno only has mobile divisions defending it, so a quick retreat is possible :happy:.

yeah i agree and i don't think moving forces from glebokie is good...

I don’t think that’s a good either :eek: :happy:!

THX for reading everyone, views are good :D reply's to the AAR even better ;) !

I'm enjoying this AAR greatly. The presentation is good and the text is concise and to the point. It looks like it's not easy to stop the Germans, which is good. I hope we will read more about events in the other parts of the world in the future!

At this point I would pull back to the riverlines. If you haven't got V-1's researched yet, do start on them. Stack of 20 V1's only costs 40IC and a few hundred days and they make superb blitzblunters.

I'm enjoying this AAR greatly. The presentation is good and the text is concise and to the point. It looks like it's not easy to stop the Germans, which is good. I hope we will read more about events in the other parts of the world in the future!

Thanks this is motivating me to keep the quality standard high :D! I will try to give more news on events in other parts, but you know Barbarossa creates enough news by it’s self!

At this point I would pull back to the riverlines. If you haven't got V-1's researched yet, do start on them. Stack of 20 V1's only costs 40IC and a few hundred days and they make superb blitzblunters.

I know the riverline is the best place to hide for the big bad Axis wolf. But I set some house rules: Fighting retreat witch means fight for every place (it also destroys the infrastructure in the province), retreat is allowed when I’m outnumbered or in danger of encirclement.
I like the V-1 idea, who knows ;).

Thx for the comments :)