• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually I like the Beach System. The problem is that the Maps uses a Province system so it makes for some rather quirky and unrealistic behavior. Not every coastal area is fantastically suitable to disgorge a corps onto a beachhead. The only way I can see this is if they broke the map into a Hex grid like on skool board games. Some places that have coastal mountains will require specialized infantry, etc.

It´s just that HoI3´s hexes have names, basically.

If there was to be a beach system, it oughta be a continuum, not boolean (e.g. not can/cannot land here, but a number, say from 1 to 10). That would be a mountain of work to do, though. BUT there´s a chance, that PI could get this work done, if they just added a moddable variable to each (coastal) province (and mayhaps some AI code), setting it to max for each by default and let modders do the rest. That way, using it would be optional, too, by virtue of being a mod, that you (and your MP-buddies) may or may not install.

I like this, and I'm happy to see Paradox commit to HOI3 again.

If there was to be a beach system, it oughta be a continuum, not boolean (e.g. not can/cannot land here, but a number, say from 1 to 10). That would be a mountain of work to do, though. BUT there´s a chance, that PI could get this work done, if they just added a moddable variable to each (coastal) province (and mayhaps some AI code), setting it to max for each by default and let modders do the rest. That way, using it would be optional, too, by virtue of being a mod, that you (and your MP-buddies) may or may not install.
Well, HoI3 already has a "frontage" system where only so many units can fight on the "front line" of a province (the rest being in reserve); maybe it's just a question of limiting this for sea-land frontiers?

some of the coastal areas in Norway come to mind. Marshlands on Hollands coast. Also i don't
think battleships and landing craft would be storming the Dikes there. There should be some areas
simply to rugged or with such minimalized space that landing there would be impossible. They may
acutally have a small port there (or you could build one) but trying to put 100,000 troops ashore
would be impossible. Dover is accessible but the cliffs certainly are not. It would require an over-
view of all coastlines on the map with a geological map showing actual terrain but since your looking
for really bad terrain its easier to find that than argue about 1 mile of clear coast in 40 miles of cliffs.

In our last MP game, we introduced a simple Home rule: no landing on Hill/Mountain, unless port/city in it. It could be "coded" in the game.

Of course, this does not work for AI... (in SP, at leaest, you can selfimpose the rule).

In our last MP game, we introduced a simple Home rule: no landing on Hill/Mountain, unless port/city in it. It could be "coded" in the game.
Sounds ok, although I would also restrict the use of panzer divs in amphibious landings, too - maybe it should be possible to unload them only in controlled port provinces? ATM it's too easy to land 1405165156 tanks in empty provinces and take ports that way. It's especially bad in SP, because the AI doesn't guard non-port provinces unless they are VP/IC ones.

BTW I'm wondering whether the devs will restrict naval evacuations. It's ridiculously easy for the human player to evacuate troops from a beachhead if necessary. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be possible (we know that it happened IRL), but it should definitely take longer than it currently does.

Sounds ok, although I would also restrict the use of panzer divs in amphibious landings, too - maybe it should be possible to unload them only in controlled port provinces? ATM it's too easy to land 1405165156 tanks in empty provinces and take ports that way. It's especially bad in SP, because the AI doesn't guard non-port provinces unless they are VP/IC ones.

Agreed, IRL, it was almost impossible to land tanks... except for specifically designed ones (e.g. landing on Juno Beach). Landing ARM are already submitted to a penalty (-100%) but, when the area is unoccupied... the penalty is of no consequence.

From what I understand, they are going to add new vessels and increase the "in combat" penalties for the landing invader... which would slow down the attacker "if" there is a defender. In the case where there is not defender at all, their movement will be slowed down... but to which extent is still unknown.

Would definitaly be great if each coastal had a nominative defensive value...

BTW I'm wondering whether the devs will restrict naval evacuations. It's ridiculously easy for the human player to evacuate troops from a beachhead if necessary. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be possible (we know that it happened IRL), but it should definitely take longer than it currently does.

I doubt they will, 'cause it is the only way to get out of some islands in the Pacific without port. I guess they are stuck with an issue they can't solve.

The map can always be modified. Small modifications won't affect balance much.

You meaning like adding port to these islands ? This would have an impact.

Their problem is that they still allow the conventional TRSP to load/unload outside ports. Maybe they should modify that and create a new unit that would have less range...

Agreed, IRL, it was almost impossible to land tanks... except for specifically designed ones (e.g. landing on Juno Beach). Landing ARM are already submitted to a penalty (-100%) but, when the area is unoccupied... the penalty is of no consequence.

There were special landing crafts for tanks since mid twenties. ;)
And D-Day has special Landing Ships wich could land up to 4 tanks..

Cheers!
Chromos

How about unloading whole panzer divs faster than infantry divs (infantry has lower speed, so it "moves" slower to the province it is "invading")? ;)

Lets see, we have in one light landing craft ~36 men or one light tank(max 10tons), or in the bigger ones ~100 men or 1 medium tank, the next step was ~200 men or 4 tanks.
I think you could be right, we just need a special that checks if enough space is at hand at the beach to do the "race" on-shore. :rofl:

Cheers!
Chromos

Tank divisions should not be able to "invade" as only small units of tanks were used or planned
for use. Japan had small units of tanks inc amphibious ones and the US/UK had them as well
and Germany specialized armor for SeaLion but none at all of divisional strength. All were of
battalion strength at most.

Tank divisions should be automatically set as 'reserve' formations that get fed into battle as a
followup unit in the actual combat. There should be a tech for amb tanks tho for the initial
shock of the first infantry landings that can be researched.

Lets see, we have in one light landing craft ~36 men or one light tank(max 10tons), or in the bigger ones ~100 men or 1 medium tank, the next step was ~200 men or 4 tanks.
I think you could be right, we just need a special that checks if enough space is at hand at the beach to do the "race" on-shore. :rofl:

Cheers!
Chromos
+1.

The problem is not the inability to land troops on shore. The problem is supplying them, which is very easy in HOI3 doe to 30 days supply pool, that allows you to take ports really fast.

Also, the problem is that it is way too easy to evacuate troops from failed landings. I would rather have PI implement a delay on loading troops into transports, limited the ability to move your troops from shore to transports, and add a special supply pool for naval invasions same way it is for paratroopers. Than, naval invasions would become way more realistic, and way harder for attacker to pull of.

There were special landing crafts for tanks since mid twenties. ;)
And D-Day has special Landing Ships wich could land up to 4 tanks..

Cheers!
Chromos

I would say this fellow [next QUOTE] summarize my thoughts better: it is not that you can't get them to shore... it's that you can't take them to shore for the main assault as those transports did exist but were not suitable for assault. Otherwise, there would have been a massive use of them and this was not the case, in neither major landing. We shall not forget that many beaches were not suitable for tanks either due to their soil.

(...) Tank divisions should be automatically set as 'reserve' formations that get fed into battle as a
followup unit in the actual combat. There should be a tech for amb tanks tho for the initial
shock of the first infantry landings that can be researched.

Is it me or are there a lot of references to HoI4 in those interviews?

of course, once they have our money for this expansion they will be after another shot of cash with a new game in a similar condition to how hoi3 was at launch.

IF hoi4 doesnt come out in a form AT LEAST as polished as 'hoi3 their finest hour' they wont be seeing my money until its had three expansions to fix it again, and even then if they are charging more than £20 at that 3-4 years after launch i'll be considering abandoning the idea altogether.

the core of the game has been around for ten years guys, get your act together next time dont dribble out features again that were in the previous version have them in the initial launch so that any expansions WILL be with NEW IDEA's

i think the fiasco of the hoi3 launch should serve as a warning. get it right in your fourth iteration. dont bring that out for three years, because you'll need that long to get the game to where i said above.

I don't know how long it would take RL if you landed on an empty beach to get an entire division organised, but in HOI2, there was an Attack Delay of 24 hours after landing.

Are you refering to... this?

If it is actually what I'm thinking, I'll be really happy :)

I think we have no reason to think we'll see anything relating to manpower or IC. I would like that as it would help to know if I'm winning a battle of attrition with my foe or not, but the fact the screen is called Strategic Warfare and they referenced two long term naval/sea campaigns makes me thinks it will only relate to those arenas.