• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General_Yan

Captain
49 Badges
Jan 31, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
Hi all,

I was playing as Prussia, then turned it into the North German Federation, could not make Germany because France has a province that I need.
Anyways. Here's my 1st experience with a great war.

I have liberated Poland from Austria (1 province), and Bohemia (1 province) is also independent.

Italy goes to war against Austria-Hungary, Russia joins to help Austria, I join to help Italy and then call my allies France, Serbia, Montenegro, and the USA and so forth and everyone is at war.
I had about $500,000 in the bank at the start and kept massive troops at the border with Russia to keep them there while I attacked Austria.
After early gains from my side, including taking Vienna, I started to lose the conquered territory because of Russia and soon after END UP WITH NO MONEY due to the high costs of mobilization and all my troops. I needed to finish that war quickly due to me not being able to afford a long drawn out affair. It was a stalemate with me going negative.

That's when I quit.
I have my old save and can go back to shortly before the mess.
But how can I avoid running out of money.
I have NO Navy. Only ground troops.

Cheers,
Yan
Sorry for the long story, but I can't help myself!

i assume your a newbie because it has to be atleast 1870 you only had 500000 in money and you haven formed germany. i just finished a great war as germany against france, britain, rusia and tiny weak countries, it was a piece of cake. but about the money thing check to ee if your being blockaded that really damages your income. and it isant hard to fight austria in the first great war i encircled their entire army in one battle it was something like 400 brigades. factors that will effect your fighting ability are the experience of your troops your army tech and their army tech. and im assumeing russia peaced out.

It seems rather strange that you only had 500K. What year is it? It seems like you've somehow mismanaged the economy from the start.

I'll have to look again, but I think it was the 1870's.

My tech's aren't too bad. I had fought Russia to a white peace a few years earlier and beaten Austria to get Hegemony and free Poland.

Sounds like you've had a lot of wars - and not much in the way of industrialisation.
NGF is usually very rich - with some good managment of the sphere, you should be in the very top of the industrialisation game... However, even then running out of cash in a long war is a distinct possibility - arms are expensive...

First trick is to copy the German strategists from WW1 - eliminate small opponents before trying to kill Russia.
Also increase taxes, and consider cutting on purchases. A good idea is to have a good store of arms before a war (buy all weapons to max), and then reduce your stockpile spending during the war. As long as the stockpile has resources, your troops will be fine...

Why, though? I usually like to put as much as I can back into my economy/country...Having it sit around is rarely useful.
Err... I think what he means is that he has so much money that it's practically impossible to event dent that savings.

There are a few things that help with getting enormous amount of money:
1. Maxing the first column of industrial tech
2. Maxing the first two columns of commercial tech
3. Go full on poor tax (keep tariffs low though)
4. Get rich and populous colonies in Indonesia, Indochina, Coastal China, and/or India (not that necessary for the starting Great Powers anyway...)
5. Build a number of essential supply industries in case of war (i.e. small arms, canned food, fuel, artillery, steamer).

I'd also not mobilize in a war just to match the enemies in number. The only time mobilization is needed is when you are fighting someone who's vastly more powerful than you (i.e. Mexico/CSA vs. USA). If you are a GP with powerful forces and high level forts already, don't mobilize even if the enemies have 3 times as many regiments as you. Just lure them in to siege, and then encircle them individually.

Also, mobilization is pretty useless late game, as you only get infantries (at least that's my impression) whereas the troops that are most effective in killing are artilleries (the double row and defense bonus).

Err... I think what he means is that he has so much money that it's practically impossible to event dent that savings.

There are a few things that help with getting enormous amount of money:
1. Maxing the first column of industrial tech
2. Maxing the first two columns of commercial tech
3. Go full on poor tax (keep tariffs low though)
4. Get rich and populous colonies in Indonesia, Indochina, Coastal China, and/or India (not that necessary for the starting Great Powers anyway...)
5. Build a number of essential supply industries in case of war (i.e. small arms, canned food, fuel, artillery, steamer).

I'd also not mobilize in a war just to match the enemies in number. The only time mobilization is needed is when you are fighting someone who's vastly more powerful than you (i.e. Mexico/CSA vs. USA). If you are a GP with powerful forces and high level forts already, don't mobilize even if the enemies have 3 times as many regiments as you. Just lure them in to siege, and then encircle them individually.

Also, mobilization is pretty useless late game, as you only get infantries (at least that's my impression) whereas the troops that are most effective in killing are artilleries (the double row and defense bonus).

Some other things...
I still have the conservatives in power this whole time.
I built forts along the border with Russia.
I keep tariffs at 5%
I have always kept my stockpile at 100% along with education and administration.

Some other things...
I still have the conservatives in power this whole time.
I built forts along the border with Russia.
I keep tariffs at 5%
I have always kept my stockpile at 100% along with education and administration.
That doesn't matter. You should be able to afford running 100% expenses at all times and still have ridiculous amounts of money (i.e. at least 20k per day during peace). You should also be improving forts everywhere, not just the border, because you should be having trouble throwing away your money.

You should check your taxation and subsidies. Since you don't have a navy, dreadnoughts shouldn't be draining your resources (they are usually quite a burden if you spam them by the hundreds). If you have lots of unprofitable factories, try closing a few without getting people unemployed.

Also, again, mobilization is bad for Germany for single player since you don't need it.

Actually I tend to use mobilisation against Austria as Prussia in the first few wars in order to get Greater Germany. I do find that the first conflicts can be difficult without it, though I wouldnt mobilise late game.

That doesn't matter. You should be able to afford running 100% expenses at all times and still have ridiculous amounts of money (i.e. at least 20k per day during peace). You should also be improving forts everywhere, not just the border, because you should be having trouble throwing away your money.

You should check your taxation and subsidies. Since you don't have a navy, dreadnoughts shouldn't be draining your resources (they are usually quite a burden if you spam them by the hundreds). If you have lots of unprofitable factories, try closing a few without getting people unemployed.

Also, again, mobilization is bad for Germany for single player since you don't need it.

One last thing, I subsidize all my factories and those people just keep building and expanding them.

I will get some time to play again this week so I will try some new approaches to see what happens.
Maybe someday I will play a game where I actually have a navy!

I tried again and continued my game right before the great war.
Much better result, I did not invade the Austria-Hungary empire, but instead focused on beating the Russian army and did not take any territory. I just kept destroying their armies invasions and chasing their leftovers.
I knocked Russia off the Great powers list.
I raised the poor tax to the max.
2012-07-03_00003.jpg

Last edited:
Just got this game and am confused about the money issue. I tend to spend as much as comes in on factories/trains/etc and keep taxes as low as possible. From this thread, it seems like I should just tax as high as possible and bank as much as possible? Is there no benefit to lowering taxes? Also, armies appear to be limited based upon population, but when people talk about "spamming" ships by the hundreds, are they serious? How many ships should a country have? Is there some way to see how many ships other countires have? Is having hundreds of ships in the Navy even realistic? Were there hundreds of dreadnoughts in the German navy?

Finally, as you can tell, I must have no idea what I am doing - are there any good guides for this game? I am finding this to be a great change from CK2. After EU3 + MM, I found CK2 to be WAAAAAAYYYYY too easy/boring/not complex so I am enjoying the complexity of this game and would love to get a better handle on how to do well. Thanks as always.

Just got this game and am confused about the money issue. I tend to spend as much as comes in on factories/trains/etc and keep taxes as low as possible. From this thread, it seems like I should just tax as high as possible and bank as much as possible? Is there no benefit to lowering taxes? Also, armies appear to be limited based upon population, but when people talk about "spamming" ships by the hundreds, are they serious? How many ships should a country have? Is there some way to see how many ships other countires have? Is having hundreds of ships in the Navy even realistic? Were there hundreds of dreadnoughts in the German navy?

Finally, as you can tell, I must have no idea what I am doing - are there any good guides for this game? I am finding this to be a great change from CK2. After EU3 + MM, I found CK2 to be WAAAAAAYYYYY too easy/boring/not complex so I am enjoying the complexity of this game and would love to get a better handle on how to do well. Thanks as always.

Read the wiki, it has plenty of help and is detailed enough (but could do with more). But you got to learn yourself, the proper way.

Money is no problem for me now. :cool: I have around 23 million and it's 1910 I think... This will be the 1st AHD game I finish, and to be honest I have not finished a Vicky 2 game yet. I got the game when it 1st came out but I'm sure everyone remembers the rebel spawn crisis very well of the 1890's!

I am now in 5th since the the liberals took over the house and killed half my industry points by not letting me subsidize my factories.