• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 1. Peruvian War

For years tensions had been mounting over the disputed border between Ecuador and Peru. Peru, having recently emerged victorious in a war against Bolivia, decided to take control the disputed territories to the north. On March 5 1840 under the orders of president Agustín Gamarra the Peruvian army marched north and seized control of the Ecuadorian Loja province.

Peruvian soldiers marching to war

It became clear rather quickly that Ecuador would not be able to hold off a peruvian assault for very long. Chilean president José Prieto met with Pedro II in Rio De Janeiro to form the Western Coalition, an anti Peru alliance. On April 23, 1840 the Western Coalition declared a state of war against Peru.

Over 20,000 Brazilian imperial troops under the command of Filipe Da Camara were sent north. They split into two armies, 12,000 were sent into eastern Peru to march towards the capital and 10,000 troops were sent to drive Peru out of Ecuador. The Peruvian army under the command of Fredrico Frevierre attacked Da Camara's army in the city of Piura.

guerrafarrapos.jpg

Peruvian Assault, Battle of Piura

Despite a numerical superiority of three thousand troops, the poorly trained and equipped Peruvian soldiers were repelled with nearly 5000 casualties, almost half of their total army.
battleon.png

With the backbone of their army crippled the country was quickly overrun. By November 1841 Lima was captured and Peru agreed to an unconditional surrender. to be continued...

Chapter 2. Treaty of Lima and the rising power.

1841 was drawing to a close and it was clear that the war was hopeless for Peru. With her army in shambles and the capitol in enemy hands President Gamarra resigned and Manuel Menéndez resumed control of the nation. He agreed to a full unconditional surrender and Western Coalition met to determine the conditions of peace.

By December the terms of peace were decided and sent to Menéndez for ratification. We he received a copy of the treaty he was shocked by the harsh conditions imposed on Peru. The states of Pastaza and Cajamarca were to be ceded to Brazil, Chile was to acquire Atacama, and they were to return all territory they had acquired from Bolivia in 1839. They were also required to demobilize their army and pay reparations for damage to Ecuador.

Proposed peace conditions

Infuriated, Menéndez declared the ceasefire void and raised an army of 5,000 men to retake Lima. By the time they reached the outskirts of the city they found themselves facing an 8,000 man army supported by 3,000 artillerymen and 1,500 cavalry. Menéndez's soldiers urged him to abandon the attack but he refused, the army would march on Lima as planned. The battle was over shortly. by the end of the day 2,800 peruvian soldiers lay dead.

Realizing the war was completely un-winnable he signed the treaty if Lima on December 17, 1841.

Ratification of the treaty of Lima

The war was a massive boost of prestige for the Brazilian empire. Pedro II declared the day a national holiday and the people flocked to the streets in his honor. The war gave them access to the pacific ocean and the strongest military in Latin America. To some, Brazil was no longer a regional south american power, but a nation with an equal status to the great powers of europe.

Chapter 3. Modernization and growth

The Peruvian War had establish Brazil's position as the most powerful nation in latin America and a great power, but compared to the other great powers of the world it was still significantly behind. In many areas infrastructure was poor and the country lacked a significant industrial base. In order to modernize the country they decided to look North, at the United States. In early 1843 Emperor Pedro passed a ten year plan of military-industrial growth and modernization through the senate. Among it's many articles were plans to establish a national industry based on the American model. Taxes were significantly reduced on the upper class to encourage investment. They hoped to replace the landed aristocracy with a modern, capitalist class. By the end of the year construction began on Brazil's first factories.

If Brazil wanted to compete with America they knew they needed to bring in the massive immigrant population that the United States was receiving. The ten year plan included clauses to encourage immigration by passing a number of political reforms in order to stay one step ahead of America. By the end of the year Brazil was pulling in over 6,000 immigrants a month.

The larger immigrant population would allow Brazil to create a larger army and steps were taken to double the military to 58,000 men within the next few years.

In 1844 of the year Emperor Pedro was pleasantly surprised with a telegram from President Tyler of the United States. Recognizing the growing power and influence of Brazil he wished to establish a military alliance and divide the sphere's of influence on the American continents. Pedro immediately agreed and the Trans-American Pact was ratified by the end of the year.

With the America's secured Pedro began looking west. It was time for Brazil to establish colonies of it's own.

I will certainly follow this AAR. Brazilian colonies in the Pacific would be a fun thing to watch.

Great start! I'm particularly impressed with your stylized map showing the proposed peace conditions with Peru. I'm nostalgic about Brazil in Victoria. While I haven't delved very far into Vic II, I played a lot of Vic I and it was with Brazil that I learned to play the game. I wouldn't sweat about not feeling that you're not a good writer (neither am I). Just do your thing and know you have people following...I know i will be.

Thanks for the feedback :) I'll probably have a new update within the next couple of days.
Great start! I'm particularly impressed with your stylized map showing the proposed peace conditions with Peru. I'm nostalgic about Brazil in Victoria. While I haven't delved very far into Vic II, I played a lot of Vic I and it was with Brazil that I learned to play the game. I wouldn't sweat about not feeling that you're not a good writer (neither am I). Just do your thing and know you have people following...I know i will be.
Thanks I've been enjoying your HOI3 AAR as well.