• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tapewormlondon

Lt. General
115 Badges
Mar 23, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Magicka
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I have somehow managed to slip a disk in my back by coughing......whilst it has caused an amazing amount of pain, it does mean that i am signed off work for 2 weeks and hence can try to get to gripswith this game.

I have tinkered around with a couple of countires and think i am getting the very basics of what I should be doing. I managed to get Sardinia Peidmont to a great power anyway which I was pleased with.

Anyway im starting a new game and want to try and nail the economy side of things. Starting as belgium I notice that I already have a few factories which quickly go out of business. I didnt subsidise these and closed them down - am i right to do this?

I also was going to purely focus on getting admin efficiency up in all areas, then education and also reinforce my army and get a alliance with GB.

what else should i be lloking at doing?

If it's a factory that is mostly profitable and just hit a rough patch, you can keep up the subsidies for a little while, but if it's one of those extremely unprofitable military supply factories, you might as well just let it die, or else it will be draining money the whole game, so you might as well close it down now and get it over with. You should at least get Java from the Dutch and maybe some more/all of their colonies and their states in europe. Eventually, you should probably attack france for some states, since french is an accepted culture, but that's easier said than done. If you get Java and the other Dutch colonies, as well as Africa, you can probably beat the French though, I think.

I usually subsidize one factory per state (if I'm not Laissez-faire), to prevent big unemployment.

Furthermore you'd try and get a colony somewhere to help you colonize later on. The Dutch might indeed be a good project to work on, or for instance the Danish (as they hold a piece of Ghana and some Antilles) too.

Getting your literacy up (with education budget slider) shouldn't be too hard as you have two European main/accepted culture states.

As Belgium, your best bet would probably be prestige, with auxillary industry. You simply lack manpower for military, and only later on it pays off to build a navy for military point reason.

Even if you don't want to colonise, you should at the very least get java, it's the best colony in-game imo. 2m pops and really good resources. Of course, imho you actually need to colonise to be able to succeed, but it's up to you.

well the silly Dutch declared on me with only half my number of forces....i mopped them up with a doom stack and occupied all their european provinces, set up a reason for war of claim state and added the war goal.

However even though they are now half the size of what they were they can still field a larger army than me and they are ammassing troops on my borders. How do i get more troops to build - do i national focus soldiers?

Java is better than any european state, even as a colony, keep that in mind. Nfing soldiers is a good idea for a small nation like belgium if you really the extra soldiers. But if you play defensively and maybe get a tech or two you can definitely destroy the dutch in no time (they're silly, headstrong and weak). So, get java and maybe the moluccas (don't get their other state yet, because then they won't keep attacking you to give you free land and you'll have to attack then).