• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Castille is still alive 0.0

He did help the Queen not too long ago.

But yeah, that is pretty amazing actually (although I think this is 1.05? I've only played 1.06b, bit I've come to understand that the Christians had an actual fighting chance in former games). I've never seen the Iberians lasting more than ~50 years, unless I either played one of the kingdoms or was able to help them. I'm guessing that one of the kings offed one of the kings and/or took their land while the muslims were in a rare moment of internal conflict.

Denmark has also stepped up the fight in the baltic. Have they formed Lithuania?

Have you thought about spinning off Mauretania as an independent kingdom?

.. And is that an independent Aquitaine?

Oh yeah, thank you for the entertaining AAR. This along with others convinced me to try CK2 when it was on sale on Steam.

God's Kingdom Part 28 - A New Queen

The war for Antioch was nothing of note. A single infidel county was no match for the might of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.
ck2247jul67.jpg

I was dismayed to learn though that somehow Edessa had slipped from the kingdom and was now independent. I had no idea how this happened or when. I demanded answers but all I got in return were shrugs and vague excuses of Muslim magic. Yet again I was going to be forced to reclaim ancestral lands.
ck2250sep67.jpg

As I waited for a claim on Edessa a courier arrived from Ireland bearing solemn news. The King of Ireland had passed. Eamonn was to leave my court and travel to his own. I proposed and demanded a feast to honor his ascension to the throne and also as a farewell for my Cecile.
ck2252feb70.jpg

As I grow older I found myself becoming squeamish at the sight of blood. Perhaps it was a lifetime of battles coming back to haunt me. Or it was a reminder of the fact that my days were numbered. So while I didn't accompany the hunting party sent out to retrieve boar for Eamonn's feast, I did my part in enjoying the end result.
ck2253mar71.jpg

Shortly after the departure of Cecile and Eamonn my queen started claiming that she wasn't feeling well. The Royal Chirurgeon said that it was a mild illness and would pass. However he was wrong and soon after my wife passed on. I didn't want to re-marry at my advanced age but felt I needed to for the good of the realm. I proposed to Queen Panni that we should marry and ally our kingdoms. She could stay in her court and ours would be a marriage of convenience. With nearly 50 years of difference between us I did not expect the girl to perform other marital duties. But the benefits I gained from the union made it a fine match. I hated weddings and I hated my own weddings even more. By the time you're on your fourth marriage it loses its charm.
ck2255jan72.jpg

Last edited:
On Edessa, all i found was your imprisonment of the last duchess. So maybe when she died, something odd happened.

Married Queen Panni ? Well you dont need to be lustfull to willfully marry a 19 year old polish queen. The marriage might loose its charm, but the girl doesnt. Sigh, polish girls......

God's Kingdom Part 29 - Other People's Wars

I was pleased how quickly my chancellor was able to get me a new claim on Edessa. I felt I still had a few years left in my tired bones so the thought of a new war did not bother me. I was more motivated since these were lands I had lost.
ck242sep72.jpg

However things quickly changed. My new bride sent me a flowery letter asking that I come to her defense against some unruly vassals of hers. The girl was so sweet and innocent and considering we had just gotten married I couldn't say no. Edessa would have to wait.
ck243dec72.jpg

What couldn't wait was me having to deal with my daughter-in-law plotting to kill Prince Robin. I had no idea what sort of quarrel they had going on but I was not pleased that I had to get involved. Every married couple has fights, rarely do they elevate to the point of looking for assassins. In a act that future generations will wish I had never done I demand that Margarete stop trying to kill my heir.
ck244jan73.jpg

It turned out Panni really didn't need much help. She had things mostly under control before she ever asked me to join her war. I think it was just a test of our new relationship. Women and their mind games...
ck245feb74.jpg

Unfortunately Edessa was put off again. My kinsman, the Doux of Achaia was waging some war or another against Trinacria and I got involved. I still remembered the slights their old queen inflicted upon my grandfather. It may have taken nearly my whole lifetime but finally I had some revenge. Also the fighting was happening near my vacation lands of Malta and I didn't want their issues to spill over into my island paradise.
ck246mar74.jpg

And then tragedy struck. My sweet Panni was dead. Murdered by a supposed man of God. What kind of brute would claim to love God and carry out his work and at the same time murder for political gain? I was saddened. While I had barely gotten to know the girl she still had a lifetime ahead of her. With five wives come and gone I started to think I was working on some sort of world record.
ck247nov74.jpg

The search began for my sixth queen. I didn't have to look to far though. Panni's younger sister Hedwig had taken her place as Queen of Poland and was about to come of age. I'd grown a fondness for Panni's Polish accent and cute nose... two things Hedwig had. Despite being almost 60 years older than her the girl agreed. Nope, not creepy at all.
ck248nov74.jpg

ck249mar75.jpg

Soon after the wedding celebration Hedwig went back to her court in Krakow and I went back to warring in Sicily. With even just my personal levies the war was easily in Doux Gilbert's favor and after some boring sieges the war was over. Much to my surprise this victory would lead to a kinsman sitting the throne of Trinacria in the near future. More glory for the de Boulognes.
ck250nov76.jpg

Heddy came to visit me in Jerusalem city to celebrate the successful war. A lot of wine was drunk and things happened that were supposed to happen between a man and a wife. Soon after her return to Krakow I got a message... Heddy was going to have my eighth child.
ck251jan77.jpg

God's Kingdom Part 30 - It's Been A Good Run

Word must have gotten out that I was saying yes to assisting my allies with their troubles. I was more than happy to assist my southern neighbors, Abyssinia. They were fighting off a Muslim invasion and were hard pressed. The Army of Jerusalem is known for many things, their ability to kill infidels is first amongst those things.
ck253aug77.jpg

I however did not personally lead my armies south. I was heading in the opposite direction to be with my Heddy. I wanted to be there with her when she gave birth to our child. God is great... it's a boy! The doctors told me that the boy would always be stunted but otherwise would be healthy and strong and wise. I didn't care about his vertical limitations, I cared that my son would someday sit the throne of Poland and Croatia.
ck252aug77r.jpg

I've learned that the downside to having family ruling many of the kingdoms in Europe is that they all come calling when a peasant sneezes. However I wasn't about to shirk my obligations and tarnish my good name by ignoring these calls to war. Also I wanted to assist my kinsmen in staying in control of their lands. More glory for the dynasty!
ck254feb78.jpg

To me the elevation of the dynasty became very important. In my later years it had become more vital than expanding the borders of my kingdom. I had become known for seizing opportunities and capitalizing on political marriages. That renown only grew after I secured a marriage between my son Raoul and the Queen of Scotland. Someday a de Boulogne would rule Scotland.
ck255feb79.jpg

With my assistance Abyssinia and Trinacria are able to quickly win their wars. I began to dream about a mighty host of all my allies, led by me, crushing the Muslims and freeing all of the Near East and Africa of their scourge. Perhaps it was time for a new Crusade.
ck256apr79.jpg

ck257dec79.jpg

Ok, this was getting out of hand. The Armies of Jerusalem were not some common mercenary band to be expected to come running to service just because they were called. However a strong Abyssinia was desirable because they protected my southern border. I told Keylye this was it. After this he was on his own. First I give him my daughter, then I give him assistance, next he'll be expecting my crown.
ck259may80.jpg

Word of Raoul's death hurt worse than the blow of a war hammer ever could. He was still so young and barely into his marriage and new life in Scotland. I was told he died of an illness. Probably the cold, wet weather of his new homeland. That or haggis. I've heard haggis could kill a man. I take a bit of satisfaction in knowing that Raoul left behind two children, one of them the future King of Scotland.
ck261apr82.jpg

The loss of my second youngest son caused me to reflect on life. I'd seen 76 years on Earth. I'd spent nearly my entire life ruling and leading men in peace as well as in battle. I've outlived 5 wives and 2 of my 9 children. My time was growing short but I still felt like I had much to give to my people and to my family. Besides, Heddy was a lot of fun and made me feel 60 again.
ck260sep81.jpg

I was able to celebrate one more victory. It felt great to lead men into battle despite my advanced age. While not as quick or strong as I was in my prime I was still a capable and skilled general and my skills lead to an easy defeat of the Abyssinian rebels. I hoped that my son-in-law would now leave me alone and figure out how to rule on his own. Not bloody likely.
ck262jul82.jpg

I returned to Jerusalem but things just weren't the same. Heddy was in Krakow running her kingdom and there were no wars to keep me distracted and give me a reason and drive. In March, 1283 I went to sleep one night after reflecting for hours upon the 50 years of my reign. I was happy and satisfied with all I have accomplished. I left behind a strong dynasty and a strong kingdom. And when I went to sleep I was ready to never wake up.
ck263mar83.jpg

Touching.

Hail to the dead King Gaucelin, may he rest in peace.

Hail to King Robin, may he be able to crush all the rebellions and be entertaining in whatever way. ;)

Touching.

Hail to the dead King Gaucelin, may he rest in peace.

Hail to King Robin, may he be able to crush all the rebellions and be entertaining in whatever way. ;)

King Robin will be known throughout history for the numerous rebellions he had to deal with. I'll be telling that story tomorrow. :)

Thanks for reading and commenting!

He did help the Queen not too long ago.

But yeah, that is pretty amazing actually (although I think this is 1.05? I've only played 1.06b, bit I've come to understand that the Christians had an actual fighting chance in former games). I've never seen the Iberians lasting more than ~50 years, unless I either played one of the kingdoms or was able to help them. I'm guessing that one of the kings offed one of the kings and/or took their land while the muslims were in a rare moment of internal conflict.

Denmark has also stepped up the fight in the baltic. Have they formed Lithuania?

Have you thought about spinning off Mauretania as an independent kingdom?

.. And is that an independent Aquitaine?

Oh yeah, thank you for the entertaining AAR. This along with others convinced me to try CK2 when it was on sale on Steam.

Yep, Aquitaine is independent. And no, Lithuania has not been formed. I am trying hard to keep all I can in the kingdom but it proves to be difficult.

I started out in 1.05 but upgraded to 1.06 when it became available. Thankfully it doesn't appear to have broken the game though it's possible that there are some lingering issues and nuances due to the conversion.

It might just about be worth creating an Empire title for yourself!! How many kingdoms do you hold? 4/5? Egypt, Jerusalem, Mauretania, Nubia (and something else? - Syria maybe?) 5 was the requirement to get the Emperor trait in CK (alongside luck). Perhaps you could declare the Empire of God/Empire of Jerusalem - modded in of course.

I'd say united the lands of Africa and declare yourself Emperor!!!

I don't think he's running CK2+. Besides it wouldn't much change the whack-a-rabel tendencies of very large kingdoms. Maybe the king-vassal would be better able to put down rebellions in his own demesne, but on the other hand dealing with that king rebelling would be cringe-worthy.

If he spins off the kingdom to a relative who holds a decent chunk of the kingdom (so his vassals would be no threat) the kingdom looks like it could be self-sustaining, he would gain a perpetual ally (who would also be allied to Ireland), and it might even start it's own campaigns against the Iberian and African Muslims, relieving Castille.

Well, I realize that whacking infidels is not the point of the game, but when you're Iberian, Sicilian, Byzantine or Jerusalem (never dared the last) it really seems that way, the rest of the world are just potential allies against the hordes. Whack or be whacked.

God's Kingdom Part 31 - Can't We Get Along?

I was beginning to think that I'd never get my birthright. I had to wait almost 60 years to become king. Thanks to my father's long reign, mine would not be. I was okay with it though. That was His plan for me. I was king now though and I was going to enjoy what I've been waiting my whole life for.
ck264mar831.jpg

The day after my coronation things started to go wrong. The spark that started the inferno was the Duke of Marrakesh attempting to gain his independence from my kingdom in the confusion of me taking the throne. I needed to make an example of my disloyal duke or else others would follow. I ordered my marshal to muster the troops, burn down his castles, and bring me his head on a pike.
ck264mar832.jpg

However the Duke of Marrakesh wasn't the only vassal looking to test my rule. My advisers brought news that many of the vassals, especially the ones in Africa were on the verge of rebellion. It was all too much for me. All I wanted to do was enjoy my lands, spend some time on the beaches of Malta, and rest my last few years as king. Instead I had to try and hold together my kingdom.
ck265mar83.jpg

My advisers did discover one interesting thing while they were looking into the situation in the kingdom. I was shocked to discover that the Duke of Tangiers along with the Duke of Fes had undertaken their own holy war to win back my family lands in Edessa. I could not believe that two of the most western duchies in the kingdom would go to war for Edessa. I wished to join them in their war but with the rebellions and potential rebellions I could not.
ck266mar83.jpg

Two months into my reign and despite threats and rumblings no one had followed Marrakesh's lead. Unfortunately that changed when my son-in-law, the Duke of Tlemcen declared war. To be honest I wasn't surprised. I never liked the man and didn't agree to the marriage. This was actually a blessing in disguise. How often does a father get a chance to imprison and remove an unwanted, ungrateful son-in-law?
ck269may83.jpg

And then things got serious. The Duchess Berthe of Cairo, that scheming witch, raised up in the name of my grandson, Prince Robin. Quickly the Duke of Ascalon and several others joined in to depose me. I vowed that it would be many years before King Robin II ever took the throne. As long as I had God on my side, I would triumph over all my vassals tainted by the jealousy and greed.
ck270may83.jpg

Then, God fled me. There had long been a schism between the King of Jerusalem and the Pope. My opponents used that to their own twisted needs. With the declaration of excommunication I lost the support of the people and many of my vassals started looking to Prince Robin as well. Suddenly I realized just how much I hated my father for making this appear so easy.
ck271jul83.jpg

Nope, I don't use any mods. I don't like the idea of surrendering lands and granting independence. Call me selfish like that.

Thanks Tyrell! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll tell you what happens in the near term, King Robin I has a very rough time of things. As I played through his reign I kept wishing Margarete had succeeded in her plot to kill Robin. Would have made life a lot simpler. Also it would have been easier on me to let the Duchess of Cairo win and put Prince Robin on the throne. However there's no way that Robin I would just roll over and let that happen. Damn role-playing aspect of the game and AAR got in the way. ;)

Oh my. Fun times ahead. Now its time to prove you are the KING!!!!
Not enough pikes to put their heads on though. Boy, i'm happy not to be in your position.:cool:

Agh, you have terrible diplomacy, you're exceeding your demesne limit and you're arbitrary and slothful. No wonder your vassals were rebelling all at once.

And.. how in the world did you get that much gold?

Last edited: