• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeon221

Colonel
104 Badges
May 29, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
My eyes, gouge them out. Why am I messing with ports and attempting to figure out why connections aren't working in the modern era? Please, please just use steamworks! None of us were able to connect. The game itself was randomly wonky about whether or not you were able to set start dates (any game created after you created the first game would not let you change start date) and direct IP connect also didn't work for us.

Miserable experience, would not attempt again. Over an hour wasted on what in so very many other games is a flawless, easy experience where I hit join game and moments later I'm playing a game with friends. If you're interested in MP with your friends, I recommend looking elsewhere unless you enjoy countless wasted hours.

The single player game is brilliant, sure, granted. That's why I want to share it with friends.

Consider using something like Steamworks in the future. Or, you know, anything at all other than what you're currently doing, because whatever the hell you're currently doing with MP connectivity is a suck awful nightmare of fail.

My eyes, gouge them out. Why am I messing with ports and attempting to figure out why connections aren't working in the modern era? Please, please just use steamworks! None of us were able to connect. The game itself was randomly wonky about whether or not you were able to set start dates (any game created after you created the first game would not let you change start date) and direct IP connect also didn't work for us.

Miserable experience, would not attempt again. Over an hour wasted on what in so very many other games is a flawless, easy experience where I hit join game and moments later I'm playing a game with friends. If you're interested in MP with your friends, I recommend looking elsewhere unless you enjoy countless wasted hours.

The single player game is brilliant, sure, granted. That's why I want to share it with friends.

Consider using something like Steamworks in the future. Or, you know, anything at all other than what you're currently doing, because whatever the hell you're currently doing with MP connectivity is a suck awful nightmare of fail.

We-All-Know-That-Feel.png

Paradox games have always been buggy in MP. I'm not sure what using Steamworks would do to fix it?

Sure. Go buy Dawn of War 2 plus the expansions. Now try to get your friends into a game. Gee that was easy, since you were able to invite them from your friend's list to your game. Oh, and there wasn't a separate login. Oh hey, and you didn't need to once dick with ports, your router or dilithium crystals!

On the down side, you'll no longer have the opportunity to continue the long tradition of sacred mystical dances on the winter solstice that paradox has always required in order to get their games to work in MP. I just don't know what I'd do with my ceremonial goat.

Anyway, speaking of DoW2 I'm going to go back to playing that with friends. CK2: it's what I do alone! After all, if I can't play with others why should I bother trying to get them to buy it.

Sure. Go buy Dawn of War 2 plus the expansions. Now try to get your friends into a game. Gee that was easy, since you were able to invite them from your friend's list to your game. Oh, and there wasn't a separate login. Oh hey, and you didn't need to once dick with ports, your router or dilithium crystals!

On the down side, you'll no longer have the opportunity to continue the long tradition of sacred mystical dances on the winter solstice that paradox has always required in order to get their games to work in MP. I just don't know what I'd do with my ceremonial goat.

Anyway, speaking of DoW2 I'm going to go back to playing that with friends. CK2: it's what I do alone! After all, if I can't play with others why should I bother trying to get them to buy it.

You realize all that would do would be require them to release all games through Steam (meaning they could no longer use Gamer's Gate). It also does not magically solve the problem. They would have to engineer their online portions of the games to Steam's online model as opposed to the home grown one they have now. If that is a little to high tech of language for you, what it means is either way Paradox has to program the online portion of their game, Steam does not do it for them. Given their history, it seems that this is a low priority for them as most of their games are perfectly fine SP or LAN environment.

The mp in the original Crusader Kings was horrible...even after over a year worth of patches. We could never play more 10 years without the game crashing and not even that long if we were having big wars and there were the occasional problems with the game lobby. So eventually we gave up trying to play.

Crusader Kings 2 on the other hand has been a pleasant surprise. We have played altogether around 150 years worth and there hasn't been not a single crash and no connection/game join problems.

The hardware firewall in my router was total pain in the ass and eternal source of problems with mp games. I spent large part of early 2011 battling with it and eventually disabled the whole shit and switched to software one. Can't be arsed to waste more time into security paranoia.

I have at least successfully managed to play a good long game in two player LAN. It was pretty good, until I declared war against my opponent. He decimated ruler after ruler through plots. I went through 3 rulers in short short succession ending with a 3 year old girl and when his character finally got "bored of plotting against my family" he went after the competent regent, getting retard replacement, and all my councilors. My only consolation was that I won the war, because he didn't go for the generals leading my armies, which managed to win, while outnumbered.

In short, the only problem I have so far with mp is that the plot system is broken when wielded by players.

The only alternative to figuring out ports is having someone host the game for you. And that ain't gonna change anytime soon. All those games where you don't have to think of anything when creating an MP games - you don't actually host them, service is hosting them for you.

Please leave MP as it is. It's great. I hosted 5-6 games already for 6-12 players each, and we never had any problems.

Last I checked using Steamworks didn't fix any potential port problems - port forwarding is a plague for all gamers, everywhere. Has been since the early non-direct modem connection days.

Apply pressure on your ISP if they don't offer assistance - switch ISP if they refuse. Or plead with them and be allowed to buyd a modem/router of your own, that isn't locked by the ISP.

couldn't agree more with the OP, MP is not only esential for games in 2012, hell it was esential in 2003 and PI has done a terrible job in the MP part of the game, a good MP part is still the best copyright protection.

For the guy who says "but then the games will only be on steam." I don't really care? It's not like the other DD services beyond gog are offering anything particularly noteworthy. Cue eighty pages of "the monopoly" and "bu-bu-bu my preferred retailer offers X! Steam doesn't offer that!"

Last I checked using Steamworks didn't fix any potential port problems - port forwarding is a plague for all gamers, everywhere. Has been since the early non-direct modem connection days.

Apply pressure on your ISP if they don't offer assistance - switch ISP if they refuse. Or plead with them and be allowed to buyd a modem/router of your own, that isn't locked by the ISP.

Fortunately the netcode is sufficiently solid that problems are rare as hell. Whereas with a Paradox game, it's a crap shoot whether anyone will be able to play. We had three people with properly configured routers and everything set up as per the tutorial. And it still failed for them. I mean _come on_. At some point you gotta go "hey guys, clean this crap up as it's ridiculous."

I'd be fine with a rock solid proprietary option. But right now I don't have much faith in Paradox to pull that off. So I'd rather they used a third party solution instead.

For the guy who says "but then the games will only be on steam." I don't really care? It's not like the other DD services beyond gog are offering anything particularly noteworthy. Cue eighty pages of "the monopoly" and "bu-bu-bu my preferred retailer offers X! Steam doesn't offer that!"

Fortunately the netcode is sufficiently solid that problems are rare as hell. Whereas with a Paradox game, it's a crap shoot whether anyone will be able to play. We had three people with properly configured routers and everything set up as per the tutorial. And it still failed for them. I mean _come on_. At some point you gotta go "hey guys, clean this crap up as it's ridiculous."

I'd be fine with a rock solid proprietary option. But right now I don't have much faith in Paradox to pull that off. So I'd rather they used a third party solution instead.
Steam isn't a magical band-aid that will fix the biggest MP problem, the OOS.

Try your routers DMZ option. It's specifically designed for people who aren't able to figure out simple port forwarding from the 3+ billion guides out there.

Hi, I was one of the guys who tried to play that game with Aeon.

I know how to forward ports on my router. But just to be safe I checked and double checked the proper ports. As did the other people who tried to get the game going. We tried to have different people host. We tried skipping the metaserver and just doing a direct connection. Nothing worked. "Game not found". I love CK2 but I can't remember the last time I was so frustrated trying to get a game working in multiplayer.

Well, I can only say that there's something you've missed, whether it's the host not forwarding all required ports, or the players not opening all required ports in all their firewalls. There are several games going on right now in the MP forum, so that proves it is possible to play CK2 MP. Some people have reported success by using Hamachi to bypass the port requirements.

This issue has been around forever with PI games (LAN works a treat though :D). Forward ports, and connect by direct IP gives the least amount of issues. Crashing issues can come from going to fast which is an issue because it's boring watching the map for an hour waiting for something to happen

palmtree, you missed the most obvious thing. You forgot to use a third party site to check if your port is actually open.

The problem is with you. Either you failed to set your things up properly or your ISP puts you behind proxy and blocks incoming connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.