• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
El Presidente Edict

It has been decided with the Assistance of the Chief's of the Military that the New uniform of the Tropican Army will be green. This fits in well the National Colour of Tropico which is now also Green. It has side benefits of aiding in hiding troops in wooded areas but this is a side benefit since all Tropican Troops must leave hiding places to attack the Enemy but it will help in ambushes against Hostile forces. This Decision will not compromise the effectiveness of the Tropican Army as only 1% of the Soldiers are not all for the idea of wearing green unfiforms and they are not concerned about the Colour so Troops will fight as effectively as before.

A speech by Emperor Charles I concerning the new national holidays

"My fellow wyomingites, I hereby announce the implementation of a new national holiday for the Empire of Wyoming, to commemorate the establishment of the Empire. This day shall be the last day of February. Always.

Furthermore, as a result of the cessation of existence of the United States of America, 4th July is no longer a national holiday, along with other holidays specific to the defunct United States of America. The 14th of June is no longer a flag day. A new Flag Day, to commemorate the first raising of the Flag of the Empire of Wyoming, has been adopted in its stead. This new flag day shall be the 3rd March."

El Presidente Edict

It has been decided that to Replace the old 4th July Celebrations of the Old defunct USA a new national Holiday will be placed on the same day. El Presidente Day will celebrate the Brilliant life of the Wise and Eternal El Presidente. This is now an Official Holiday for All Tropicans although some may be requested to work on that day and Soldiers are expected to maintain some degree of ability to fight so no excessive Drinking if your in the army you need to be able to stand in the lines of Tropican Pike Man.

Concurrent with the new conscription laws was the designing and implementation of a uniform for the Imperial Legions. It was designed to blend in with the environment while still looking fearsome, as well as being easily made. Its colour scheme ended up as a sort of Gray-brown, and the appearance of the uniform itself recalled some of the designs found in Ancient Rome, China, Medieval East-Rome, or Japan. That was for the common soldier. Several other kinds of uniforms were made for other branches of the armed forces as well. For example, one branch of the Imperial Legions (called the Heavy Legionnaires) meant to be able to take a lot of hits from swords, arrows, and the like had heavy metal armour, in stark contrast to the regular Legionnaires who focused more on mobility and for that purpose used plate lamellar armour (or regular lamellar armour, reinforced by various other kinds of layers of materials). Another branch of the Imperial Legions was made specifically for countering cavalry, and yet another branch was the different Archer arms who were equipped mostly with regular lamellar armour to allow them to more easily move about on the battlefield. With all branches working in tandem, the Wyomingite Imperial Army was a fearsome force.

OOC: This all assumes that gunpower is not available, and that the tech-level is kinda medieval (except for steam power).

Last edited:
Alright, I have three orders in. 24 hour countdown initiated.

I may end up letting more time, since my access to a computer tomorrow may be limited.

NyaKonungariketSverige.jpg

OOC: I'm going to stop using blue text, it did make it hard to read. I'm going to use this flag in my posts instead. Hopefully people will recognize it.

Official Orders for Nya Svenska Konungariket:
Send 2 IP to Tropico

Official Letter addressed to El Presidente of Tropico
Dear magnanimous and incredibly handsome El Presidente
We here in New Sweden have been watching your nation for quite some time, and we like what we see. Truly, you are the most generous, kind and loving Presidente that the world have ever seen. And surely, we cannot allow this brilliance of mind, and especially body, to go unnoticed. With this letter, I am sending a caravan of supplies to help you, and congratulate you on your birthday, which I sadly could not attend due to having my own problems. Let your reign be never-ending!
But alas, I must ask of you something. It pains me to say this, but the Suwaneese bastards have attacked us. Already, they wish to end my reign, but that is not what I am worried about. You see, they are only trying to take my rightful lands, to gather strength to attack you! It's all a grand conspiracy you see, because they know that their feeble nation cannot hope to do anything to you on your own, so they wish to take mine. But there is of course a great solution! Join us in an alliance, and fight with us against the Suwaneese. With El Presidente and his soldiers on the battlefield, surely there is nothing that can stop us! I eagerly await your reply, El Presidente, if only to see your beautiful and ever-so-manly handwriting
Signed, Kung Erik I Oskar av Hus Adelsman av Nya Svenska Konungariket

Part of the contents of an official letter sent from Kung Erik I Oskar
...and I do hope you understand, that once the armies that are loyal to the true king of New Sweden, or as you barbarians call it, America, have crushed you foolish rebels who attempt to thwart a nation and a ruler that can only bring peace to this nation. The world will see your true, warlike stance, and we will make sure that once this infighting stops, there will be no-one left in your nation to ever again plague the true, Swedish citizens of this world...

An Official Appeal by the King and all citizens of New Sweden
Today, it has come to our attention that the New Swedish ambassadors, stationed in Suwanee, have been brutally murdered by the Suwaneese, and war has been declared between the Swedes and the Suwaneese. But make no mistake my friends, it was they who started this war. Without any justification or even the slightest hint or warning, the Suwaneese now march on our territories, where we simply wanted to keep the peace and establish a new government that everyone will gain from. But now, we must defend ourselves, and I do not mean just the Swedes. Where do you think the Suwaneese will march after or territories conquered? They will march wherever their bayonets and swords will take them. So we must take a stand now, to make sure that the world does not see another Conqueror like the old ones, murdering and raping as they go along. I must request, that the other nations of this new world fight alongside us, as brothers and sisters, against the common threat that we all now face. Come, let us fight as one, so that not a million must die in this pointless war of aggression.

In the ''Palace'' of Houston. Ten hours after the declaration of war.
Erik slowly turned his back on the people cheering outside, and made his way outside. The house they had taken to be his palace in Houston may not have been the greatest, but in a world like this, you took what you got. After he made sure the people could not see him or hear him anymore, he threw his crown on the floor and feel backwards onto the couch arranged before the table where he had written the letters he had just arranged to be sent out. He lay there for a while, staring at the ceiling, before he suddenly realised he felt a sudden sting in his chest. His hand clutched his chest, and he could just barely scream ''Viktor'' before he almost blacked out in pain. He held himself alive for what felt like an eternity, before the assistant rushed in to give him his medicine. He finally allowed himself to fall to the floor, unconscious, and when he awoke, Viktor was still standing over him. He took his hand, and got up. He still felt weak, but it would not do to be weak as a king. He was a strong King, and it had to show. Viktor broke his thoughts: ''I almost thought I'd lost you there''. The king only nodded. ''I hope you are not still planning to lead the armies yourself.'' The king looked at him oddly, before saying ''I am a king, it will not do to not lead them myself.'' Ignoring Viktors protests, he gazed out the window. ''Whatever my personal condition, the good of the state must come first. They need me. Like they did when I was only a villager. Nothing has changed, the scales have been rearranged and the maps redrawn, but it's still all the same'' He looked down solemnly. There was sadness in his eyes, even Viktor could see that.

El Presidente's Reply to Kung Erik I Oskar av Hus Adelsman av Nya Svenska Konungariket

I'm is Delighted by the Wonderful Gift of the Glorious King of New Sweden. Do you Mind if we call you New Sweden, It's far easier to say and write than the True name for your Country and my Swedish is a little rusty so can't tell if New Sweden would be a correct Translation of your name. Regardless he is surprised that you remembered his Birthday. Events had caught El Presidente up so much he had forgotten to order Official Celebrations for it this year. You must have been following me from before he arrived in America in Old Tropico in the Caribbean. As to your Proposal the Entire Situtation is Clear to me. The Suwaneese must have realised they were no match for Me so decided to Convince me to Spilt the Old land of the USA with them to give them the Time to build up strength. While I don't like Breaking agreements this is different. The Deal was always temporary and it was clearly part of a plot by them. I will Happily Sign an Alliance with you against the Corrupt and Evil Suwaneese and I'll announce that There is Now a state of war between Tropico and the Suwanneese.
Signed El Presidente

Last edited:
Pacifica and Llanos, c'mon... orders needed... update should be tomorrow btw

Right-O, it seems like everything is well on its way within the day. As such, expect an update tomorrow.

Republica de los Llanos orders for turn 2

5UNJq.png

"Story!"
"Story!"
"Story!"
"Tell us a story!"
The old man looked at the dozen or so children surrounding him. "Don't you have something better to do? Homework? Or chores?"
"We're on vacation. And the chores are all done. Story!"
"Hmph, okay. Which one?"
"Yuma" - "Yuma" - "The Yuma story!"
"But haven't you heard it a thousand times before?"
"No, only 999 times - we need one more to make it a thousand"

"It was a few months after the Event. The ravaged land and our peoples were just about beginning to recover. We pulled together and organized ourselves to protect what little was left from the wild surrounding us. I was a boy, just a little older than you are. We started receiving messengers from more and more small communities asking for protection. The most alarming ones were from the Western lands known as Yuma. Hualulitepec took the command of two of our armies and marched westward. Oh, how handsome they were, all armed with lances, and bows, and arrows. And the horsemen, which were carrying forward an art that we believe was forgotten by everyone else, armed with swords and bows, on their magnificent stallions. It took the armies almost a whole day to march out of the capital, towards the setting sun"

"We heard nothing from them for several days. You see, all previous means of communication had disappeared, and the
scarecrows hadn't been resurrected from a dusty library yet. Scarecrows - that's how simple people called the Chappe telegraph after if was put in practice after some science historian found its principle in an old book. But this was before, and we still relied on horse messengers and pidgeons. After a while, messengers started coming in, and bringing news of a devastated land. Our forces had found many villages, several of them big, but all the inhabitants had disappeared without a trace. A couple of them had been burned, but most were intact. No living soul was found after marching through dozens upon dozens of miles"

"Then they encountered signs of another expedition being nearby. They sighted troops of roughly equal strength as ours, wearing some strange uniforms and banners. They did not try to approach them, as we had no interest in fighting them. All we were after was to protect the people. But there was no people to be protected anymore. So after a few weeks, Hualulitepec signaled the return home"

"When the arrived back, everyone greeted them with relief - nobody had died after all. Still no explanation existed regarding to what had happened to everyone in the West. And the menacing specter of the other unknown army was still on everyone's minds"

"However, more urgent matters were calling us elsewhere. So the government decided to immediately recruit 4 foot soldier units using all the IP and CP, and send them away. But that is another story"

Last edited:
Turn 3

The seasons changed again, and the wills of a few men once again began impacting the lives of millions of others. Borders collided, often with deadly result and heroic display; just as often peace was accomplished by souls as brave as any soldier. Some nations expanded, their vast fingers extending across the former United States; others found themselves caught between dangerous neighbors. Although stuck in a perilous position, the people of Llanos must be commended for their amazing display of foresight by their removal of troops from the Yuma valley; this freed soldiers for them to capture otherwise taken lands, as seen in their taking of Shiprock as a weaker Wyomingite force watched with horror.

War saw its rebirth occur in the ever deadly south, where tensions between the Floridians, Swedes, and Tropicans came to a head. Although seemingly outnumbered, The people of Suwanee appeared more then able on the battlefield, managing to overcome a larger force of Tropicans. The Suwanee force was a single division of hardened men with fair supplies and morale, who faced off against a similar Tropico force who had a reserve division nearly as large as the whole Suwanee division; this second reserve division however had poor morale due to the hard marching required to reach the field of battle on time. Due to equal parts luck and skill, the Suwanee won the day, managing to best the first Tropico line and then force the second against a cliff face, where a slaughter then took place.
Pre-battle rolls:
Suwanee morale +1
Tropico 1: +2
Tropico 2: +0

Battle rolls:
T1 v S: 2 (+2) v 6 (+1) S wins, T1 destroyed
T2 v S: 4 (+0) v 9 (+1) S wins, T2 destroyed

Post battle:
Tropico loses 2 armies
Suwanee loses 0 armies, gains the territory

Alright, so the map is up and CP is being distributed as you read this; however, as I am only allowed 1 PM per minute this should take a little while. Good luck with turn 3! Tropico... sorry, your rolls sucked :p

Orders For Tropico

Build 4 new Infantry

Invest 1 IP and 3 CP in Infantry tech Level 1 (14/25)

Deployment Orders Restricted By El Presidente Himself.

El Presidente Announcement

Brave people of Tropico I honour the Sacrifice our brave warriors did to ensure the Safety of our Homes. If they had not slowed the Evil Suwanee troops there Forces would be marching through our cities and Slaughtering our people without any mercy. Instead our men exhausted them and inflicted to many losses to allow them to push on further against us. There Sacrifice will not be in Vain. We will Strike back against them and their evil Demonic ways. Even as I speak the famed Guerilla Leader Marco Moreno formerly known as the Flame of the Revolution now in the service of the Tropican army will lead a powerful Strike against there Forces inflicting telling Losses and Crushing there War effort. They have won the Opening Blow but they shall not win the war.

Governor's Park, Tallahassee, FL - October 1990

“May I have your attention please.”

“Madame Administrator, members of the press, ladies and gentlemen. I am Captain Jeannette Harrell, acting commander of the Naval Submarine Base at Kings Bay, Georgia.” The isolated outdoor pavilion was about a quarter filled with a mixture of uniformed and civilian individuals, mostly male.

“I was ‘volunteered’ to deliver this briefing to emphasise the importance of this information, and because of the common belief that I had more ‘free time’ than the other senior military representatives. For public consumption, I am right now sailing in the Caribbean.

“I am going to put this in dramatic form, sort of the ‘good cop, bad cop’ style.

“The nice cop will let you know that we have developed functioning rifles, most in the .357 caliber, but some up to .50 caliber. These weapons have demonstrated the capability to go clean through large game such as deer and bear at a distance, and even shatter concrete blocks at close range. We are also in the process of creating functioning artillery, in up to fifteen inch bore diameters.”

She waited for the reaction to die down. Most of the guests present had been exposed to bits of this data over the past few months, and had at least an idea of what she had just summarized. Now she had to break the hard part.

“The bad cop will let you know that these weapons are just high tech air guns.”

At this point, the sound level of audience conversations rose quite a bit and continued for a while before she raised her hands.

“If you could tone it down a bit please, I have a lot to cover and not a whole lot of time to do it in. I want all of you to have an understanding of what we have achieved as well as the limitations we are operating under. At the conclusion of this session you can pick up your background papers,” she waved towards tables at the back of the pavilion stacked with manila folders, “and there will be additional subject matter experts available to provide further details at the end of this session.”

She referred to the notes in front of her. “I will start with some background. Prior to the Change, there existed a limited commercial market for high-powered air guns. These fired bullets of larger caliber, up to .50. These rifles were powered by rechargeable 3kpsi air cylinders and were lethal to large game at ranges between fifty and a hundred yards. They went by such names as ‘Quackenbush .457 Outlaw’, the ‘Rogue .357’, and so on.

benjamin-limited-edition-package.png

What we have done is continue their development, and applied mass production techniques to these custom designs.

As for artillery, we went back to the history books on this. Turns out that the Brits had developed and used a pneumatic AAA gun during WWII, called ‘Holman Projectors’. The projectors were capable of engaging aerial targets at altitudes of up to a thousand feet, more than adequate to take on current low flying gliders. We are producing refined variants of this system now.

“In the field of field artillery (no pun intended), again we dug into the history books, a bit farther this time. Around the turn of the last century, the U.S. military experimented with systems that were more reliable than the gunpowder cannons of that era. They were called ‘dynamite guns’ though powered with steam pressure.
The USS Vesuvius, launched in 1888, was armed with three fifteen-inch pneumatic guns capable of firing a projectile one and one half miles. In 1894, the Army purchased and installed several coastal artillery batteries of fifteen-inch dynamite guns. These could throw a shell from 2000 to 5000 yards depending on the weight of the projectile, from 500 to 50 pounds. A steam-driven compressor to power the guns supplied compressed air at 2500 psi. We have taken these weapons and adapted them to late twentieth century technology.”

“While these weapon systems were present on the field during our victory in North Carolina, and did prove themselves in combat, there were too few of them to actually turn the tide of the battle. That honor goes to the men and women who fought there, the inspired leadership of those such as General Branch, and a whole lot of luck.”

“The Change may have closed some doors to us, but it left a lot more of them open. As our engineers keep telling me, ‘there is more than one way to skin a cat’. In the future, with determination, hard work, along with a lot more of these weapons and the blessings of the Lord, we will strive to reduce the luck factor.”

Captain Harrell finished with, “This concludes my portion of the briefing, thank you for your time.”

In the stands, Collen Robbins turned to his boss and asked in a low voice, “She didn’t mention the main reason we won the fight, do you think it will stay quiet that much longer?”

“No, but if it lasts for one more battle, I will be happy. Besides, with as few of the enemy that did get away, I kinda think the ‘Witchcraft’ tale will carry weight.”

Deliah Toruson continued with a slight smile, “In a way, you could say it was ‘Black Magic’. The enemy wasn’t ready for troops wearing ‘Demon masks’, they weren’t trained and practiced in their use if they did have them, and they certainly didn’t have every soldier carrying one or more CS grenades.”

“Besides, we still haven’t deployed the flame throwers to tactical units. Imagine the shock when the foe finds out we not only have ‘dragons’ on our side, but the beasts use jellied gasoline.”

Deliah turned her head away and sighed, “I can just picture a closely packed pike armed shield wall mass of troops reacting to a tower of liquid flame pouring in among them. As Captain Harrell said, there is more than one way to skin a cat. She just didn’t mention that all of those ways are unpleasant and very bloody.”

NOTE to readers: Again, for this passage I have borrowed heavily from a real author. In in this case, John Ringo, a true wordsmith.

Last edited:
Interesting, your choice of Ringo; I am currently reading Citadel :)

Alas, I imagined a world of swords and armor, rising again from the midwest. But I suppose your airguns and jelly fires make sense. I would appreciate it if you would have them remain difficult to produce and reserved for the elite, however, at least for a few turns more. It seems out of character for a region which just had itself placed in the dark ages have massive steam-powered factories rise from thin air. Yet I may have some use from these; if you have advanced stuff while others use pikes, I could update with reports of either overwhelming modernity or dysfunctional, hubristic attempt. Interesting.

I suppose it makes sense as to why Tropico lost.

These are just musings; do carry on.

El Presidente Edict

After Long Negotiations it has been decided that Marco Moreno is now the Second in Command of all the Tropican Armies under the Famed General Rodriguez who retains overall command. With This announcement the way is clear for the Tropican Counter attack against the Demon Worshipping Suwanee who think nothing of sacrificing living people to their Demonic gods and randomly cutting down trees for no point what so ever. They also deplore intellectual Progress. Well They are a Mess of barbarians who know Nothing of Civilization. Destroying them would be the right thing to do.

Deus Ex Machina

Interesting, your choice of Ringo; I am currently reading Citadel :)
He puts out some entertaining stuff. In this case, I just modified a scene he wrote to fit the game.

Alas, I imagined a world of swords and armor, rising again from the midwest. But I suppose your airguns and jelly fires make sense. I would appreciate it if you would have them remain difficult to produce and reserved for the elite, however, at least for a few turns more. It seems out of character for a region which just had itself placed in the dark ages have massive steam-powered factories rise from thin air. Yet I may have some use from these; if you have advanced stuff while others use pikes, I could update with reports of either overwhelming modernity or dysfunctional, hubristic attempt. Interesting.

I suppose it makes sense as to why Tropico lost.

These are just musings; do carry on.

I have no intentions to try to change the game; I mainly want to get my CP's and have fun poking holes in Stirling's plot devices. He may be a good author, but he really should have consulted a couple of engineering students at least before starting this series of novels.

As for game balance, I do not believe that to be much of an issue. The SAR got their info from books around them, and implemented it with their surviving scientists and engineers. While I might characterize the other regions as less than adept, they did manage to gain the support of a large population base. I am sure that they have their own reindustrialization and adaptation programs. They might not be as well publicized or as advanced, but they are in progress.

Nations do not usually ignore a hostile neighbor developing superior technology, they also adapt or die. So my guess is that whatever one nation comes up with is balanced shortly thereafter by other countries. Infantry is still infantry, whether jabbing with swords or using laser death rays. Cavalry still make the end around the foe, then come smashing in at an unexpected angle, whether mounted or driven. Planes are still planes, whether gliding, flapping its wings, or hovering on unobtanium.

The game continues the same, just the excuses for defeat change.

EDIT:
Oh, and the industry is NOT appearing out of thin air. It is already present, just with machines that use electrical motors instead of heat engines. All the SAR has to do is swap out the motors. Yes, the Stirling has to have fuel to run. Yes it is less efficient that electrical power. Yes, a metal lathe modified to replace its electric motor with a Stirling engine is ungainly, awkward and stupid looking. Just remember the military maxim that if it is stupid and works, it ain’t stupid.

As for speed of implementation, well that is an issue. For every stirling produced, one more electrically powered tool or engine reactivates. So I suppose that the first new hand crafted Stirlings will go into powering the machine tools producing Stirling engines. Sort of a virtuous cycle.:)

Last edited: