Starvoid dev diary #4 - Manufacturer: Arachron Industries

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(323395)

Second Lieutenant
Jun 1, 2011
Hi!

We meet again. And once more will I continue to make internal information about Starvoid less internal. As promised last week, this week's dev diary will be about another droid manufacturer; Arachron Industries.

Arachron Industries specializes on aggressive units which favor damage dealing, being able to hunt down units and ambushes, but lacks in defense. Almost being suicidal from time to time. Arachron also empathizes a lot on attacking in large numbers, accompanied by leader units supporting them using auras that provide buffs to all nearby friendly units. They do however have some single, powerful units too – like the feared Gapeworm, which digs its way into enemy positions.

“In combat, the first strike is of greatest importance – if made correctly, the rest should only be about cleaning up the mess left behind.”​

Background
Arachron Industries was founded in the end of the colonization era and their droids were initially designed to work as labor droids on colonized worlds. They were designed to move fast, be efficient and preferably unnoticed. Their success in the field was not very great though since the colonists preferred to purchase the cheaper, but nosier and less reliable droids. Arachron quickly saw its chances though when the conflicts between corporations began and was among the first to produce droids designed for the purpose, especially for corporate sabotage missions. Arachron's droids was quickly made popular among the first corporate mercenary commanders and soon their production could steadily increase.

Arachron units (Click to enlarge)!​

And again, time to spoil some droid details! Among the Arachron droids we find;

Creepers
The most common Arachron design. Light, silent and with a very low profile, they are able to booth move quickly and wait, hidden, for approaching enemies and ambush them when the opportunity arise. And of course they come in large squads, being able to fire dense volleys of heated plasma from the Pulse Coils mounted on their backs to quickly reduce even heavily armored droids to piles of molten metal.

Egghead
The egghead is a solo operating support droid that prefer to operate alongside other friendly units. It is unarmed, but is able to power up and discharge electric blasts that allows it to provide some decent fire support against almost any target. It's main feature though is its passive ability to egg on nearby friendly units, increasing their damage dealt. A single one of these on one side of a combat can really turn the tables.

Gapeworm
The Gapeworm is an unnatural killer. A giant worm made out of sharp metal and pain. It has the ability to dig it's way through the ground to a distant location, appearing from what seems as nowhere, spreading terror among unsuspecting enemies. Not upgraded it has no weapon except for its giant mandibles, which are more then enough to rip any target apart and its attacks strike such fear in its foes that it even pins enemies in the area, just like machine gun fire.

And that's it for this time. Now I have to get some work done on deciding on which levels you'll have the different items available. Thanks for reading this (and hopefully the stuff before too). Next week I'll either keep talking about more manufacturers or possible go deeper on any of the game's mechanics. Please let us know which you prefer!

bb!
-
Rasmus Davidsson, Game Director at Starvoid

Last edited:
Can't wait for the game! Though I love the lore and the manufacturers, I would love to learn more about the mechanics.

Can't wait for the game! Though I love the lore and the manufacturers, I would love to learn more about the mechanics.
+1
Love to hear both.
Maybe every other one can be on game mechanics and then in-between those more on the back story – because it is very exciting and I don’t want to miss any of it.