• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Terantor

Captain
52 Badges
Oct 30, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
This is going to be my first AAR. Don't expect too much. It will be mostly gameplay, don't expect anything special. English is not my native language, so if a make a few mistakes, be nice.

I do not have a fancy name for my AAR, but i am definitely not going to call it something like "GenoAAR" or stuff like that.

I decided for Genoa, this is not going to be to easy, but i am pretty sure i can make it, so far i never had any problems. I play on very hard. I use the Mod Death&Taxes. It's awesome, i can only recommend it to everyone.

My first goals:
- Become the dominant naval Power in the Mediterranean
- expand my black sea holdings
- make my trade center the wealthiest in the world (except maybe for ridicolous ones with 2500 wealth or so like nanjing)
-conquer or vassalize venice

So lets begin:

I could hire some good guys in the beginning:

My mission was to the End the Sound Toll:

My allies, the papal states dragged me into a war with naples. Then i got the event death of a merchant, which gave me a nice sum of gold.

Because i could make no gains in that war, i declared war on byzantium with the alliance casus belli (the papal states were also allied with venice, and they DOWed byzantium)
The first battle in the war was lost, i managed to slip my small fleet into the black sea, but lost to the byzantine fleet

I white peaced naples. I decided to expand the bureaucracy (as always), and landed my troops in trebizondian territory. the byzantine fleet was destroyed by the venetians, while the trebizondian troops were defeated by the ziyyanids.

I annexed trebizond some month later, switched to men-at-arms and payed byzantium a symbolical tribute of 25 gold for peace. Now i was finally able to move a slider. I chose quality, because i didn't want any large scale revolts in any of my colonies.

Next year saw a new Doge. (actually a pretty nice one). I realized i needed a bigger fleet, so i began building some carracks, cogs and galleys.

I canceled my mission, because i saw no realistic chance to finish it in the next 10 years or so. The next one was to secure trade rights. This was finished in 2 days. Now i was asked to build a proper fleet.

My allies called me into a war again.

I became alliance leader. While Milan was sieging my capital with 14k soldiers, i sieged all of their provinces at once with only 1k soldiers, but for some reason, my sieges were finished a lot faster then theirs, so they accepted my peace offer. I didn't want to take any of their provinces because they were in the HRE, except for sardinia, but i wasn't able to conquer it in time. During the war i commissoned a tapestry and began supporting the florentine school for some infamy burn. My infamy wasn't really high, but 0 Infamy is always better, especially as such a small country.

Last thing i did for this session was to hire a trade advisor, so i could pass the liqour act. My new mission is to convert azov, i think i gonna pass on that for now.

I leave you with a picture of my trade league. With some gifts i was able to convince a lot of states to join my trade league or at least give me some trade rights(croatia, castille). This makes Liguria the wealthiest trade center in europe.

I know i have to expand fast, otherwise i will be defeated by the french or british. So i declared a trade dispute war on the venetians, but my goal was actually sardinia. Venice was supported by Aquileia, Naples, Siena, Modena and the Papal States. I was supported by Savoy. While my troops were fighting the first battle of this war, a new doge was elected. Not as good as the one i had before.

I won some small-scale Engagements when i decided to land my army in siena. A big neapolitan stack with some support of the pope attacked me. Although they suffered horrible casualties i finally lost the battle, but managed to retreat my troops to liguria.

During the war something interesting happened, novgorod DOWed the golden horde and forced them to release crimea and zaphorozie. They are a lot easier to fight then the horde.

I won most of the battles, i lost only one or two naval engagements, but without big losses. the naval tradition allowed my to hire a admiral. But sadly he was a rather bad one.

I won the siege of sardinia and directly annexed it.

I thought about ending the war right now, but soon after i realised i could make even some more gains. So i continued the war and bought two enemies out of the war for a small price

Ferrara joined the enemy side of the battle. Modenas and Ferraras Armies were annihilated rather fast.

I annexed Modena

After i finished the siege of Romagna i settled for a peace deal with the pope, giving me Romagna. My Infamy was rather high, so i decided to sit still for some time.

I adopted my first national idea. not the best one for a naval trade power, but i wasn't able to choose any idea that would really help me otherwise. (D&T has requirements for national ideas, if you want to take for example military drill you need to have extreme quality or at least a bit of land)

I moved my slider towards centralization. this led to a pretender revolt, which was quickly crushed by my troops.

I got the event for my 5* land reformer. i didn't need the stability right now, so i took the prestige. I canceled my convert azov mission and got the "end the sound toll" mission again. Lets see what i am going to do about this. I don't see how i could finish this mission the military way right now, both the ottomans and byzantines have superior armies to mine.

Next election: i picked a diplomatic candidate, but i got someone not even the slightest diplomatic.

Formal request for Modena. I denied

I endorsed culture to hire a good diplomat and got a 5* one. Plus i supported the florentine school for the infamy burn. And a new doge. Not very good but at least a good diplomat.

This time i leave you with the first ledger page, as you can see my income is already pretty nice for such a small nation.

Nice aggressive start, I would have vassilised modena instead and hope for an incorporate mission in 10 years although the university makes it worthwhile. I would suggest focusing on naples which is outside the HRE, wealthy and decent manpower. Force vassilse them to save on multiple wars and infamy

insolent1: I focus on whoever i get a CB on and aren't allied to 10 or more nations :p

Not much happened in the next few years.

I moved the Slider towards Innovation. I got a not so large "large revolt", which was quickly crushed.

Finally i got a good diplomat:

But he already died 2 years later. I went for a administrative guy this time and got a genius:

I hope he will be around for a long time.

1386 saw a DOW on Ak Koyonlu without a casus belli. They were only supported by Georgia, Muscovy and Ryazan.
I had to discover Diyarbekir to completely conquer them, but after roughly one year i conquered all their provinces. I settled for only Erzincan. I dont want to border too much TI, because there are some big countries under TI in the middle east judging by the big names and the ledger.

My target was Georgia, so i moved my troops to siege their fortresses. But first my aristocrats were concerned. I only lost 10 Prestige, the other option would've been to move one towards aristocracy, but i surely dont want that as a trading nation, also i don't want to cross the red bar.

Georgia was vassalised and brought into my trade league, a day after that i settled for a white peace with ryazan. I got economic prosperity back, i had to mint a bit some years before.

I was guaranteeing the eretnids, when they got attacked by Byzantium i answered the call, although hesisant, because they were allied with milan. But at the same time i declared war on crimea, everyone allied with them or guaranteeing them was in a war at that moment and no one answered their call to arms.

The war in italy didn't start to well, milan fielded around 30k troops, while i had only 5k there. I evacuated them and let them siege Sassari. In the black sea area i was making good progress, i was winning some naval battles and the sieges. I got war subsidies by trinacria and serbia.

1392 saw a new election, i kept the same guy.

I annexed Crimea, got subsidied by trinacria again.

I supported the Florentine School again and hire a general and a admiral:

I moved one towards innovative, and got "new thinkers arise". I got a decent statesman and immediately hired him as a replacement for my trader which recently died.

Thats it for this update. I have a really hard time advancing, there are only very few opportunities for me to conquer something and mostly they involve hard fights.