• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's strange, because I know my kid has the trait from day one. I thought is was in the same group as hunchback and genius, you are born with it? I'm talking about "in game", I don't want to argue about the real life nature vs nurture on this board.

How do you "nurture" someone to prefer sex with the same sex???

Seems like something that just develops. Just like with children being attracted to the opposite sex; as they develop the tendency shows itself.

The game doesn't seem to indicate that you "learn" it, but rather that it develops as the child develops.

I had a King of Wales with a homosexual heir I tried to kill who I was worried about. I failed and he killed me (or at least I assume he did, my King's death was suspicious). So I then became the heir at age 21 and ended up with 17 children from three different wives in the course of my long, long reign. The only problems were when I tried to increase crown authority because the -10 from the trait kept some of my vassals from liking me enough.

Well, they focus on the work they have to do.^^
They will only have sex when the old pagan lady says that the perfect time for the Women has come.

And as a Liege your sexual behaviour was nothing of a big deal aslong as your kingdom and your relations to other ones were alright and you had a heir.
Just by statistics there must have been more homosexual rulers than we know of and atleast there was no judgement day, so wayne.

But I had realy to laugh about the "learning" thing. Yes, you teach someone to be a homosexual, aye sir.^^

I used the term "learn" -please note there are "" - because OP was about guardian, so education in CK terms.
So I said it is something developped/acquired/forged/acquired in opposite to some innate thing.

eh... at least you didn't end up with a bunch of inbreds because your Character decides to bang his daughters when they turn 16 without giving you a choice in the matter...

How do you "nurture" someone to prefer sex with the same sex???

Seems like something that just develops. Just like with children being attracted to the opposite sex; as they develop the tendency shows itself.

The game doesn't seem to indicate that you "learn" it, but rather that it develops as the child develops.
It can be both. Modern day homosexuality is generally frowned upon, thus its purely a nature thing in this day and age. But for most of the Spartans it was a nurture thing. So it can be a learned preference, if historical records are anything to go by.

And if you look at the amount of 'homosexual' behavior in prison, you'd think the entire prison population is homosexual but more likely its a lack of alternatives. :)

It can be both. Modern day homosexuality is generally frowned upon, thus its purely a nature thing in this day and age. But for most of the Spartans it was a nurture thing. So it can be a learned preference, if historical records are anything to go by.

And if you look at the amount of 'homosexual' behavior in prison, you'd think the entire prison population is homosexual but more likely its a lack of alternatives. :)

This...

If you consider someone with the homosexual trait as someone who is openly homosexual, which seems to be the case since everyone in the world has a modifier for you being homosexual, gaining the homosexual trait could be similar to changing from being secretive about it to being open about it. Having a homosexual ward and the child "learning" could be interpreted as the ward teaching the child to be comfortable with their feelings and opening up.

After a solid century of decidedly hetero Swedish kings, I finally got a homosexual heir, and he ascended to the throne (at age 20) before I noticed it. I always make my characters guardian of their young heirs, to ensure maximum trait control, so it probably popped up after he came of age.

It took another 4 years, but he produced a son. The -10 modifier also helped push a troublesome duchess into revolt, so that was cool. Glad I checked the forum before I started looking for ways to get rid of him.