• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lordrac

Major
8 Badges
Apr 1, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Hello noobs and journeymen, welcome to my tutorial.
You may be wondering; How do i create a new title with a new name? (e.g Mormaerdom, Principality) How do i create new dynasties and characters?
Well unfortunately i'm not going to answer the last question, because there is a tutorial video stickied up at the top of this forum. Instead of whining and bitching about the lack of written tutorials, or how you don't understand, you should be watching videos by ParadoxianLP, because he took the time to learn about modding the game, and has spent valuable time educating you lazy people who can't figure it out by yourselves.
Explore! Thats is what makes the modding experience fun. More importantly, onto the tutorial.

Make sure to create a mod folder first ;)
This is fairly simple modification that doesn't take much time. Its basically just a rough copy and pasting job with some changes. My aim in this is to create the "Mormaerdom of Moray", a gaelic (thats ga-lic, we're talking scottish gaelic here, not irish gay-lic) kingdom of the early middle ages. The mormaerdom of Moray was the most famous mormaerdom of them all. Mormaers were the primary lord type of scotland back in the day, taking the place of duchies and earldoms as far as i know. Mormaerdoms varied in size and power, but were normally subservient to the kingdom of Scotland. In the case of Moray, all we need to know is that despite being De jure scottish, it was ruled by moravians, de facto, and continued to be that way until 1130, when it was annexed, colonised and the power base replaced by foreign scottish nobility.
In this game, ideas of de jure and de facto are basically whether or not a title or crown has the right to a territory, and whether it owns it or not. For example, Kingdom of Scotland lawfully covers all of what we call Scotland, and influences it aswell, but the County of Mann (called vannin back then) and the "Duchy" (in reality at that time, it was a kingdom) of the Isles de-facto and de-jure rule their own territory. However, in time, as a result of their lower status (earldom and duchy) scotland will annex these states and/or vassalise them, because they are an easy target. So, be aware that if you make an independant nation out of a small territory, larger nations will almost certainly annex them if they are de jure or a possible vassal of a duchy. Larger nations are much more likely to annex smaller nations generally because their lords will be making claims on other nation's fiefs, and the larger nation will greedily get more territory. The more vassals and de jure rights the AI have, the more opportunities for expansion the AI will have, i have found.
Titular Titles are titles that have the authority of what they represent, but they utterly lack the claims to land. Titular titles are just as dangerous as regular titles, although they lack the authenticity. They are very useful however because they can be used to make sub-kingdoms which still have de-facto territory, but not the same authority as a proper title. I am going to use a Titular King title to create our Mormaerdom of Moray. This means that they will still be part of Scotland and influenced by it, but still with local authority and independance.

First thing we have to do is make the title itself. Go to your history/titles folder and copy the file d_moray and paste in the same folder. Rename your new file k_moray. Open it up. From here, it should say liege=k_scotland at the start, so remove that. See all the dates, like 1005.1.1 and whatnot? That represents the history of the title. The bit that says "holder=5998 #Findláech mac Ruaidri" within the date and brackets is basically what it says, the holder. The number is the id of the holder character (ID can be found in history/characters, just click the culture file that the character belongs to). Anyway, find Uilleam mac Donnchada's entry and delete every entry after it, including Uilleam mac Donnchada's entry.

Now, copy and paste this after
1130.4.16={
holder = 202998 #Scottish Crown Domain
}
1153.5.24={
holder = 203000
}
1165.5.24={
holder=202999
}
1214.12.4={
holder=6900
}
1249.7.6={
holder=6902
}
1286.3.19={
holder = 6907
}
1290.9.1={
holder = 230524
}
1296.1.1={
holder=453501
}
1329.6.7={
holder=453500
}

What that is, is a slightly modified snippet of code from k_scotland. We don't really need it, but it sets the stage for future kings of scotland to inherit the title, meaning that with this mod you can start as kingdom of scotland after 1130 and then award the title to anyone or noone.

Now add this crap right here to the landed_titles.txt in the Common folder.
k_moray = {
color={ 10 81 243 }
color2={ 10 81 243 }

capital = 40 #Moray
culture = scottish
}
Technically what we're doing here is making a titular title. You wanna make a regular landed title? Cut and paste the duchy of moray underneath, along with it's counties. Make sure to cut the right number of brackets or else you'll mess it up and create a duchy of the world like i did, first time round, lol.

Go to the file d_moray in history/titles in and cut liege="k_scotland" from the start, then paste it to the history entry for date 1130.4.16.
Now the title is practically done and is functional ingame, but we need is a flag. The flag must be 128x128 and a .tga file, and it is put in the gfx/flags folder. In this case i made my own flag, and you can download it here to save your arse a hard time;
http://www.mediafire.com/?wiig41yvzzx2vpb
I also have a galloway flag which you may want, if making the Kingdom of Galloway is an interesting exercise for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?itlitcti8nsp8tn

Now, all you need to do is add a localisation file for the variable k_moray. This affects what is displayed ingame. You want Kingdom of k_moray? You can have it, but i'm taking my chances with this. Go to the localisation folder and make a new txt file. Call it whatever you like, the game reads it no matter what name you have. I'm keeping it simple, 0modKingdoms.
Copy and paste this into your new file:
#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x
k_moray;Moray;Moray;Moray;;Moray;;;;;;;;;x
mormaer;Mormaer;Mormaer;Mormaer;;Mormaer;;;;;;;;;x
mormaer_foa;Mormaer;Mormaer;Mormaer;Mormaer;;;;;;;;;x
mormaerdom_of;Mormaerdom of;Mormaer de;Mormaer der;; Mormaer de;;;;;;;;;x
Save it as 0modKingdoms1.csv, then delete the original .txt file. The game is annoying like this.

You are probably wondering what the "mormaer" bits are for. Well, thats so that the game knows what names to use for our overrides which we will put in our landed_titles.txt for k_moray. The default kingdom name are "King" and the prefix "Kingdom of", but we can use our new override lines, mormaer, mormaer_foa, and mormaerdom_of for any title.
Look, for example, the "Tribe of" and "Chieftain" titles in the main game. Note that these are actually earldoms and dukedoms with overridden names. That goes for most islamic and pagan factions i believe.

Anyhow, lets look at this here in landed_titles.txt in the Common folder. Add the title, foa, and title_prefix lines like in the example while you are at it.
k_moray = {
color={ 10 81 243 }
color2={ 10 81 243 }

capital = 40 #Moray
culture = scottish
title = "mormaer"
foa = "mormaer_foa"
title_prefix = "mormaerdom_of"
}

This is very obvious, for you d00ds who don't know much english, prefix is what goes before your title name, ours being Moray. I have no idea what foa is for, and title is self-explanatory, it goes before your lord's name. E.g "Mormaer Mael-Snechtai I of Moray" or some crap should pop up if this is done correctly.
Sorry for the incredibly raggedy arse tutorial, but i hope it helped you.
Oh and also, if you want to add the war which caused Moray to be annexed in 1130, you can do that too, but it is unnecessary.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594715184634138566/0C8E5C1DD54070A48206CA7EAD4BD438BA05BD1B/

Last edited: