• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleight of Hand

retired modder
On Probation
14 Badges
Feb 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
If you take a look in /common/religion.txt you'll notice this at the bottom:

Code:
zoroastrian_group = {
	has_coa_on_barony_only = yes
	graphical_culture = muslimgfx

zoroastrian = {
		graphical_culture = muslimgfx
		icon = 5
		color = { 0.5 0.7 0.2 }
		crusade_name = "HOLY_WAR"
		scripture_name = THE_GATHAS
		god_names = {
			GOD_AHURA_MAZDA GOD_MANAH
		}
		can_grant_divorce = yes
	}
}

Pretty neat I thought -- although I searched the /history/characters folder and there don't appear to be any Zoroastrian people in the game.

Anyway I added a trigger to form Persia in my mod:

Code:
	# Creation/usurpation trigger
	allow = {
		OR = {
			religion_group = zoroastrian
			religion_group = muslim
		}
	}

...but it doesn't seem to work. When you hover over 'create' it says 'must be one of the following' and it's like: 'is Muslim' or 'is' and it's just blank, as if it doesn't recognize it -- but it is in the religion file and I see an entry for it in one of the localization files too.

Has anyone else tried playing or modding this particular religion? Did you notice anything?

Damn! I'll try that. Thanks. :D

It's because the Muslim and Christian groups don't have 'group' in them so I just assumed it was the same for everyone.

Look to the Persia region of the map for Zoroastrian characters.

It's a shame that they didn't include a seperate symbol, as lumping Zoroastrians in with the pagans even in the symbol is simply inaccurate in all senses.

(No value judgement of any sort intended or implied there, simply the facts.)

Should have made something based on this:

220px-Faravahar.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

I did an indexed search of the /characters folder and there are no Zoroastrian characters. I double-checked this method was working by searching for Sunni and there are indeed Sunni characters in a number of character culture files.

A number of Persian provinces appear to be Zoroastrian until 1100 or thereabouts -- so presumably you have to wait for auto-generated characters to be of that religion? I'm not really sure how it works and I've never edited the files to play as Muslims or Pagans anyway but I doubt we will see many Zoroastrian dukes or kings.

I totally agree about the icon -- I was expecting to see a little firebird symbol or something (or indeed the one you posted) but I see they have the pagan icon too. It would definitely look very strange in-game. We will have to enquire in the mod forum.

I think you might get Zoroastrian mayors in Zoroastrian cities, but I am not sure about that.
As soon as you find one just give him a wife and invite one of his kids as soon as they reach adulthood. Tutor your kid to be a true Zoroastrian and than conquer the world as you can declare holy wars against everyone! (As they are not in the pagan religious group they will be able to declare holy wars).

I hadn't considered mayors and bishops (not sure what the Zoros would call those :D) but yeah I guess they'd maybe be auto-generated.

I asked for an icon in the patch thread... maybe it'll fall on deaf ears, but it's not a lot of work and you don't know until you ask right?

Using a console command, I converted my Byzantine Emperor to Zoroastrianism, mimicking Julian the Apostate of sorts ;) I'm slowly converting the rest of my Sicilian-Byzantine Empire. What I didn't anticipate is the difficulty marrying Catholic women :p

Interestingly, all Bishops that convert to Zoroastrianism become Barons. And the Bishop on my Council is called the Head Diviner.

I actually modded the game to allow me to play any religion so I started up as Qarakhnids(?) near the Aral sea, converted to Zoroastrianism and to my joy found out that they have holy war CB against all others - thus began the reconquering of Persia from the Turks.

Using a console command, I converted my Byzantine Emperor to Zoroastrianism, mimicking Julian the Apostate of sorts ;) I'm slowly converting the rest of my Sicilian-Byzantine Empire. What I didn't anticipate is the difficulty marrying Catholic women :p

Interestingly, all Bishops that convert to Zoroastrianism become Barons. And the Bishop on my Council is called the Head Diviner.

What do you mean by 'all Bishops that convert to Zoroastrianism become Barons'? That they always pay you (like orthodox bishops and unlike the catholic ones)? Or do they somehow become feudal vassala? Because that would be just weird.

It's a shame that they didn't include a seperate symbol, as lumping Zoroastrians in with the pagans even in the symbol is simply inaccurate in all senses.

(No value judgement of any sort intended or implied there, simply the facts.)

Should have made something based on this:

View attachment 51195

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

As far as Christians and Muslims were concerned, Zoroastrians were pagans. It makes sense.

As far as Christians and Muslims were concerned, Zoroastrians were pagans. It makes sense.

Uh? Zoroastrianism has always had a mystic sense to most of the Christian and Muslim world, but never associated with pagans - its monotheism combined with dualism had made many Greek and Roman scholars note its similarity to Christianity.

Uh? Zoroastrianism has always had a mystic sense to most of the Christian and Muslim world, but never associated with pagans - its monotheism combined with dualism had made many Greek and Roman scholars note its similarity to Christianity.

To be fair, though: If the Christian Byzantium were on bad terms or at war with the Sassanids one insult that came early and often was "Pagan fire-worshippers". ;)

To be fair, though: If the Christian Byzantium were on bad terms or at war with the Sassanids one insult that came early and often was "Pagan fire-worshippers". ;)
..and the magisters would be the first to freak out in times of peace and point out that they didn't even worship fire. Man, the classical world is too much like Congress. :(

Some consider Zoroastrianism the father of monotheism, yes? It's ironic that it was derived from the Indo-European pantheon, while its contemporary iterations are Semitic by origin.

Playing with a Zoroastrian Byzantine Empire, I pretend that Mithra was resurrected from the mythology and supplanted Christ Jesus ;) If only I could raise the authority of the Church...

I don't understand how people are getting bnt out of shape when I say Christians and Muslims considered Zoroastrians to be pagan...

Status
Not open for further replies.