+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New unit preview: Type 23 Frigate (Duke class)

Naval War: Arctic Circle

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway, 106562399381316, Bergen, Hordaland

Cool New unit preview: Type 23 Frigate (Duke class)

Presenting the Royal Navy's Type 23 Frigate, also called the Duke class. With 13 active ships of this class, it is correctly stated that the Type 23 currently makes up the backbone of the Royal Navy. The Type 23 is a specialized anti-submarine ship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Type23_duke_maya_screenshot_RED.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	49733

In fact, it was originally intended to be far more specialized than it is, but hard lessons from the Falklands war lead to a rethink of the design. The Type 23 sports Harpoon anti-ship missiles and a battery of capable Sea Wolf VLS-launched anti-air missiles. It is advised, however, to pair it up with its big brother the Type 45 destroyer (Daring class) if you expect a serious missile or aircraft threat.

The below is a recent screenshot of a Type 23 appearing in-game (pre-release):

Click image for larger version

Name:	NWAC 2012-03-02 13-13-59-46_RED.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	49734

First Lieutenant
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: Warband

Brits generally give cool names for their ship classes, huh?

They better make a new class ship called dreadnought

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Xmasbeer View Post
    Brits generally give cool names for their ship classes, huh?

They better make a new class ship called dreadnought
    The Type 26 (the replacement for this class from 2020+) don't have names yet. I'm hoping for some classic names... Warspite, Furious, etc. The F class names seem like a good choice to me; Fearless, Fortitude, Formidable, Focus, Furious, Fighter, Fain, Flinty, Foison, Foudroyant, Fructuous, Fulgour, Furibund, Fair, Falmouth, Falkirk, Falklands.
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSupreme Ruler: Cold War

In a dinghy in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
    How many Type 23 names will be in the game? The last time I checked, only 5 will be operational in 2030.

First Lieutenant
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: Warband

This is an interesting thing that Brits do. For example they called most of their tanks with names starting with "C". Churchill, Cromwell, Covenanter, Crusader, Cavalier, Centaur, Challenger, Comet and Centurion.

Really interesting choice of words.

yeah, nice toy for my Soviet missiles ...

Will Russia be in possession of Tu-22M3M, Kh-65, Kh101,102, Kh-22, 32 and would missiles use evasive maneuvers? What is damage system like?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladapo63 View Post
    Will Russia be in possession of Tu-22M3M, Kh-65, Kh101,102, Kh-22, 32 and would missiles use evasive maneuvers? What is damage system like?
    We don't include any nuclear weapons. We may include the Kh-101, but definitely Kh-555.

There's been a lot of discussions here about the Kh-22/32 'Kitchen'. We have it in the weapons database, but we're not entirely clear where to put it

Missiles do not evade attempts to shoot them down, no.

Tu-22M3M: We have backfires. I am not entirely clear what upgrades are put into the M3M compared to the Tu-22M3 we've implemented.

The damage system is a simple hitpoint based system, with additional (repairable) damage to subsystems (sensors, weapons, aircraft facilities). Damage has other consequences, too: fires, slower speed, subs must surface, etc. Aircraft have the same damage model in theory, but I have never experienced anything but one hit kills of aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by JanH View Post
    There's been a lot of discussions here about the Kh-22/32 'Kitchen'. We have it in the weapons database, but we're not entirely clear where to put it
    Loadouts thread coming right up Jan! Just give me a few mins!

I had hoped you didn't see that

I had hoped you didn't see that
    Too late!

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by janh View Post
    i had hoped you didn't see that

Lovely model!

Quote Originally Posted by nimitz98 View Post
    How many Type 23 names will be in the game? The last time I checked, only 5 will be operational in 2030.
    bumpz

ho ha ho i cant wait to sink it

Quote Originally Posted by nimitz98 View Post
    There will be a endlife refit and service extension, undoubtedly

Naval War: Arctic CircleVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

it might just be me but shouldn't the harpoon launchers be at a higher angle?

By 2030 they will have lowered the angle. Trust me!

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Somewhere close to the sink? Then everything will be in

(old English saying, throw everything at something, including the kitchen sink - meaning, literally, everything).

Okay, it was a bad pun. Really bad, and I take great pleasure in knowing that

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by =Mike= View Post
    Somewhere close to the sink? Then everything will be in

(old English saying, throw everything at something, including the kitchen sink - meaning, literally, everything).

Okay, it was a bad pun. Really bad, and I take great pleasure in knowing that

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company CollectionFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIILeviathan: WarshipsNaval War: Arctic CircleEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

The damage system is a simple hitpoint based system, with additional (repairable) damage to subsystems (sensors, weapons, aircraft facilities). Damage has other consequences, too: fires, slower speed, subs must surface, etc. Aircraft have the same damage model in theory, but I have never experienced anything but one hit kills of aircraft.
    JanH, since the subs will surface under some situations, will they surrender? Or, will all the units simply fight "until death"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast