+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Golden Horde has converted!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

The Golden Horde has converted!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-21_00002.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	48140
    "Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? Let history be the answer to this question."
    - Thomas Jefferson , First Inaugural Address March 4, 1801

"Whether the pretended "constitution" really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either "authorized" such a "government" as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." - Lysander Spooner, A Consitution of No Authorty, 1869

I wonder how the game decides what faith the Horde converts to...
    I lay awake, and strap myself to the bed.
    Put a bulletproof vest on, and shoot myself in the head.

What about interrealm alliances?

Check out the Lotharingia and Lowland mod for CK2!

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IILeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Penumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I don't quite get why they convert, did they historically?

Defensor Fidei et Ecclesiae Hawkeye1489's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Historically, the Mongol Hordes sought a "better" religion then the Tengrist beliefs they held when they arrived in Europe and the Middle East. They eventually chose to convert to Islam, mostly because that was the religion of the greatest number of their subjects, but there was a significant faction of the Horde that converted to Nestorian Christianity.
    Resident Theologian & Catholic Apologist

Servant of the Invincible Light and Chronology Codificator for Lux Invicta: Shaytana's Crusader Kings 2 Overhaul Mod

Yes, they became sunni.
    I lay awake, and strap myself to the bed.
    Put a bulletproof vest on, and shoot myself in the head.

What about interrealm alliances?

Check out the Lotharingia and Lowland mod for CK2!

Is it really possible to influence the conversion of the Horde when you are not part of it? I'd guess you could conquer their lands, convert them and then give them back but that seems like too much work.

Second Lieutenant Comintern1919's Avatar
    Sengoku

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye1489 View Post
    ... mostly because that was the religion of the greatest number of their subjects ...
    Maybe that's the reason. Maybe they convert to the religion of which they have the most subjects.
    Nationality: German
    Religion: Interested in Buddhism and Daoism
    Ideology: Communist, Leninist
    Vote: DKP Deutsche Kommunistische Partei (German Communist Party)
    Issues: Anti-Military, Planned Economy, Anti-Stalinism, Anti-Maoism

Crusader Kings II

Or as Harry Turtledove famously pointed out, they have to decide between giving up multiple wives or giving up alcohol

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

I guess that makes sense, he owns all of Russia, Finland and more.
    "Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? Let history be the answer to this question."
    - Thomas Jefferson , First Inaugural Address March 4, 1801

"Whether the pretended "constitution" really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either "authorized" such a "government" as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." - Lysander Spooner, A Consitution of No Authorty, 1869

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Huh, it's wierd really.. the horde haven't had much success in any of my games.

Most certainly not in my Anjou one.. where the turks crushed them and took most of russia.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so what.” - Stephen Fry.

Defensor Fidei et Ecclesiae Hawkeye1489's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club

If I'm reading the event code correctly, each of the conversion events has a MTTH of 480 months (40 years). If their capital is in a province of a particular religion (in this case most likely Orthodox) then the MTTH decreases by a factor of "0.75". Which means in this case that the possibility for the event to convert them to Orthodoxy is sooner than any other of the conversion events. It just so happened that it fired for the Horde.
    Resident Theologian & Catholic Apologist

Servant of the Invincible Light and Chronology Codificator for Lux Invicta: Shaytana's Crusader Kings 2 Overhaul Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Drye View Post
    Or as Harry Turtledove famously pointed out, they have to decide between giving up multiple wives or giving up alcohol
    Hey! I understand that reference! Great author.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Pyriel View Post
    Huh, it's wierd really.. the horde haven't had much success in any of my games.

Most certainly not in my Anjou one.. where the turks crushed them and took most of russia.
    Consider yourself lucky. I currently have a Golden horde stretching from Russia to France, and France is losing ground fast (The Golden Horde is besieging Paris), and the Timurids in the south just finished eating the Byzantines and Arabia. Lucky for me I had a patch of land in Scotland to escape too, but there are literally hundreds of Golden Horde fleets sailing around the British Isles daily.

On topic though, I have seen the Horde convert a few times in other games, including once to Catholic. I'm not sure what triggers it, but Hawkeye1489's post makes sense.

There were talks about an alliance between the Mongols and the crusaders states.
    Antioch even became a Mongol vassal, by choice, not by conquest.
    The Mongols had quite a few Nestorian Christians in their court, and many a missionary were send that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Mongol_alliance

+ Reply to Thread