• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I started my game in 1936. Sometime in 1941, right after I was able to cancel the 1911 pact with Japan and began mobilization, The UK attacked me and so did Canada. I was fully in the UK's corner in the sphere of influence (I followed all of the things the US did in terms of political decisions to ensure I supported the Allies). I had just sent the UK 50 destroyers for a few bases through the lend lease act- but my neutrality was still too high to suggest the US join the Allies. I think I needed to be at 27% or something like that and I was at 27.5%. Then out of the blue, around the end of 1941, Canada and the UK attacked me and I couldn't ally with them anymore. I suppose the twist was cool, but it didn't make much sense.

Is the only award you can win the Purple Heart?

No, there are actually quite a few. Although I have never received any other medals with land or air units, only naval units that have been involved in many battles.

Not sure what they are but the Tennessee's got a ton of them here.

Tennesseemedals.jpg

Edit: I think they may be tied directly to experience level, not actually any specific action performed.

Last edited:
Yup it's exp. Was the Tennessee the pride of your fleet?

I think there's a little balancing issue with the neutrality act of 1939 event. If you choose "don't", then that effectively makes your neutrality low enough to enact war mobilization and three year draft. The massive IC bonus you get from war economy allows you to get rid of the 10 (or was it 15) dissent within 1-2 months (with massive IC still in production & other sectors). And the organization & popularity hit is nothing if you've been using "support ruling party" since the first years, so basically I just got about additional 100-150 IC a few years earlier than I should have while suffering a very minimal penalty.

I'd suggest incerasing dissent hit to about 20-25 and also perhaps giving a national unity hit. Maybe make a strategic modifier like "Unpopular decision", which would last for about 2 months and incerase "daily dissent change" (and some others perhaps too, like lowered manpower gain) significantly, so there's atleast some kind of a downside to not prolonging the act?

Thanks for the screen shot, mac2636! Has anyone tried any of the graphics mods with this DLC yet? Francesco, Magrathea (sp?), etc. And Ricox, thanks for your input. I knew this DLC allowed for more flexibility in terms of straying from history, but wasn't expecting the Canadians and UK to attack me.

I did not even know that i was at war with Germany in June 1941. There needs to be
some type of popup even if the AI is running the US Diplomacy part.

Thanks for the screen shot, mac2636! Has anyone tried any of the graphics mods with this DLC yet? Francesco, Magrathea (sp?), etc. And Ricox, thanks for your input. I knew this DLC allowed for more flexibility in terms of straying from history, but wasn't expecting the Canadians and UK to attack me.

Well, the input was more directed to Devildread so he can perhaps balance the issue with the event. :3 It's a bit too far from history that the unpopularity of such a decision would fade away within a month or so even thought it had such a significant effect.

Another issue is that without prolonging the Neutrality Act of 1939 I am getting invited into the Allies by late '39 already, allowing me to get the massively benefical laws even earlier (I already have 400 available IC by late '39 due to not accepting the act and ofcourse having built a bit of IC, but otherwise it'd be around 350-380), IMO that's more of a balancing issue, because being able to do so many unpopular decisions just for some dissent, popularity and organization hit is just... wrong.

@mille:

I quote the triggers for Pearl Harbor -
Code:
	pearl_harbor_attack_decision = {
		potential = {
			tag = JAP
			has_country_flag = US_embargo
			or = {
				and = {
					faction = axis
					not = { USA = { faction = axis } }
				}
				not = { faction = axis }
			}
			date = 1941.12.7
			controls = 5315 #Tokyo
			not = { lost_national = 5 }
			not = { faction = allies }

That means that you must have enacted the embargo on Japan, Japan must be in Axis and US must not or Japan must not be in Axis (so if US is in Axis and Japan isn't - they can still enact Day of Infamy decision, apparently).

Also they need to control Tokyo at the time of enacting it (and I'm sure that Nat. China isn't capable of taking Tokyo, especially that early), the date must be atleast 7th December 1941, Japan must not have lost more than 5% of national provinces and must not be in Allies.

I also believe that the AI won't just go braindead and accept it straight as it becomes available and it might consider the success it's having etc., not sure about that.

EDIT: Also, is there any ETA for the conference event chain? Just noticed the file and the descriptions are quite promising, it'd make the DLC sooooo muuuch betterrrrrrr (and it's already so good)!

Last edited:
Have day of infamy happend for anyone here? i have the right chk sum and have played 2 times but it have not happen.

It had happened to me twice. I posted earlier about this issue, but I have since figured out the source of the problem. Day of Infamy requires the Pearl Harbor event, which requires the Japanese Decision on Pearl Harbor. The Japanese Decision has a (hidden) requirement for a US Embargo. Now, I'd happy to put an Embargo on the Japanese if I could, but due to my high neutrality (~30) I wasn't able to. No Embargo, no attack on Pearl, and therefore no Day of Infamy. Also, this needs to happen BEFORE 12/7/1941, so enacting Embargo against Japan after that date wouldn't work. What I had to do was I had to modify the Pearl Harbor attack decision removing the requirement for US Embargo, change the date to whatever date I was at plus 1, do the same thing for the Germans because they were to declare war a few days later. It's a cheat/hack, I know, but I really didn't want to restart my game just to fix this one little thing. Plus this gave me chance to learn about the mods.

The issue with my game is that the Japanese lost the Sino-Japanese war, they've got a truce now, except with Shanxi (who is STILL pushing them back, holy shit), so the decision for embargoing Japan is gone. Does the normal "embargo" option in the Diplomacy screen work as well? I really want to get rid of the strategic modifiers regarding Japan, nor do I want to support them (they get free resources with the US-Japan trade modifiers), but I don't exactly want to declare war first as I'll miss out the manpower bonuses.

EDIT: Had to manually add all the country flags, otherwise all of the useless strategic modifiers would be back once I'd end war with Japan (had the initial thought of puppeting them). The whole Day of Infamy event chain is screwed up if Japan loses in China and enacts the decision that signs peace with them. Japan ended up declaring limited war on me 2 or so months early.

Last edited:
The issue with my game is that the Japanese lost the Sino-Japanese war, they've got a truce now, except with Shanxi (who is STILL pushing them back, holy shit), so the decision for embargoing Japan is gone. Does the normal "embargo" option in the Diplomacy screen work as well? I really want to get rid of the strategic modifiers regarding Japan, nor do I want to support them (they get free resources with the US-Japan trade modifiers), but I don't exactly want to declare war first as I'll miss out the manpower bonuses.

EDIT: Had to manually add all the country flags, otherwise all of the useless strategic modifiers would be back once I'd end war with Japan (had the initial thought of puppeting them). The whole Day of Infamy event chain is screwed up if Japan loses in China and enacts the decision that signs peace with them. Japan ended up declaring limited war on me 2 or so months early.

Looking at the Japanese Pearl Harbor Decision, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the war against China. The normal embargo option in Displomacy screen works, but only if the Neutrality of US is at or below 25. I'm not sure if that counts the same as the EVENT US_Embargo. I say just remove the US_Embargo as a requirement for the decision. I think that's the only way to make sure Pearl happens.

What do you think of this:
1- US can enact Day of Infamy decision as soon as they are at war with Japan, no matter who the attacker is.
2- US can enact a 1000MP boost decision as soon as they are at war.

Initially I made all those checks in order to avoid situations like "I am USA, I am the attacker and I have the 1000 manpower boost". But the more I think about it the more I am convinced that US citizen would massively enlist as soon as the country is in danger. So maybe the 1000MP boost should be a separated decision whenever USA are at war.

What is your position, US players?

I don't really like the idea of separating them that much. What would day of infamy get you now that the 1000MP is a separate decision? Also, I think the 1000MP boost represents a sentiment of 'the US is danger - we're under attack with a significant threat of invasion'. Maybe split the 1000MP up over several decisions with different triggers - like 100MP for being at war (regardless of aggressor status), another 150 for being at war with a major (representing their threat to the US), 250 if the US wasn't the aggressor(the 'we're under attack' sentiment), another 250 if a province is lost(clearer threat of invasion), and another 250 for 'day of infamy' (representing the historical importance of the speech and the pearl harbor attack).

Looking at the Japanese Pearl Harbor Decision, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the war against China. The normal embargo option in Displomacy screen works, but only if the Neutrality of US is at or below 25. I'm not sure if that counts the same as the EVENT US_Embargo. I say just remove the US_Embargo as a requirement for the decision. I think that's the only way to make sure Pearl happens.

It does, indirectly. If Japan is not at war with China, then US can't enact the end of 1911 agreement and if it can't enact it, then it can't enact the total embargo on Japan. And if the total embargo on Japan is not enacted, then Japan can't enact Day of Infamy. The end of 1911 agreement decision disappears if JAP is not at war with China -

Code:
## END OF 1911 US COMMERCIAL TREATY (NANKING MASSACRE)
# country_flag = end_of_1911_agreement

end_of_1911_agreement_decision = {
		potential = {
			tag = USA
			CHI = { war_with = JAP }
			year = 1938
			not = { has_country_flag = end_of_1911_agreement }			
		}

I couldn't even enact it any earlier because Japan was not capable of pushing further than Shanxi (so they didn't meet ANY of the 3 requirements). My last 2-3 FtM games in various mods they've never managed to get past Shanxi... -.-

Devildread, I'd personally support that proposition. Could there also be any way to enact the 2 embargo events on Japan (with the ensuing manpower bonuses & removal of the crappy strategic modifiers that 1911 agreement & Japanese assesst or something in US gives) if both of the countries are at war? Otherwise if Japan is puppeted, you end up getting those useless events back and you miss out on the neutrality & manpower they give.

My opinion ...
Day of Infamy: Starting in Sept. 7, 1941, Japan's probability to DOW the U.S. should be 25%, increasing by 25 percentage points each month to 100% on Dec. 7. Any DOW automatically triggers the Pearl Harbor maluses and the Day of Infamy boost in recruitment.
The Japan DOW should also trigger scripted invasions of Philippines, Guam, and Wake. The benefit of the US holding Guam and Wake is way-way OP.
If Japan wins in China, it should have a ridiculously strong navy, with every mighta, coulda, shoulda in history built.
The opening decision to give the bonuses to the Allies should include an option to deny those bonuses to the U.S.
The proposed increases in MP should at some point include a tradeoff in productivity and/or demand for consumer goods (which is really the pacify-the-masses index).
If possible, certain strategic choices of the U.S. might bring bad press, i.e. dissent. Convoy raiding, for instance, had been successfully portrayed as craven in the Atlantic while simultaneously pursued by the U.S. in the Pacific. Perhaps not just being raided, but being the raider should include a small unity hit.
The point is, the U.S. needs to be much harder pressed.
Some other points on the wishlist: A way to automate strategic bombing. The bombers get wasted so quickly, this mission requires too much micromanagement. But if I put an HQ in London, attach bombers to it and automate it, my planes always get relocated to some far-off, home location. Is it too gamey to give the U.S. some little piece of territory or European cores or whatever it takes to trick the AI into blitzing Germany?
Some bonus to underground cells in France to simulate the French Resistance. Currently, IP invested in the underground is pretty well wasted because a Fascist government can find and destroy them so easily.

This is with all humble obiesance to DD.