• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AllThat4Nothing

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
32 Badges
Jul 20, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Diplomacy
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
recently as King of Ireland I have taken Wales. Now, the Kingdom of England thinks I'm a voter of theirs. When the king wants to pass a law, I get a screen asking for my vote "even though you are not one of my vassals." Hey, back up there Speedy! Since when am I even a voter? I have nothing to do with them except for some random claims. So what determined that all of a sudden I should care about what their king wants to pass?

For example, he recently asked me to vote on him gaining more crown authority. Well since I'm not his friend, I don't want him having more authority, so I ignored voting. Seems silly he would ask me at all.

bump once just in case

edit: 36 views so far and no one knows? :/

Last edited:
I've encountered similar as K.Ireland. Galloway is part of my demesne, and I get invited to vote on Scot laws - always thought it was 'de Jure'.

England asking Wales feels a bit more off the bat though...

c00lizz is correct. If you control any counties/duchies in a de jure kingdom, you get to vote in that kingdoms laws. You're not a de facto vassal, but since you have territory within that crowns authority, you're still "part of" that kingdom in some ways. Think of it like William the Conqueror being King of England, but also Duke of Normandy, and having to follow certain laws within the Kingdom of France for those French holdings.

ok, thanks for the explanation. but seems rather silly though. if england thinks im entitled to vote because i own territory that it thinks should really be theirs, i'd sooneer think they'd press a claim rather than allow me to vote. it's like someone breaking into your shed and living there, and instead of calling the police, you ask him what the family should make for dinner that night. I mean really...

ok, thanks for the explanation. but seems rather silly though. if england thinks im entitled to vote because i own territory that it thinks should really be theirs, i'd sooneer think they'd press a claim rather than allow me to vote. it's like someone breaking into your shed and living there, and instead of calling the police, you ask him what the family should make for dinner that night. I mean really...
it's not ideal, but at least your vote is comparative to the amount of lands you actually own in their de jure territory, so it's not like he's giving you the same vote he himself holds, or anything even close to that (unless you own a ton of it or something)

it's not ideal, but at least your vote is comparative to the amount of lands you actually own in their de jure territory, so it's not like he's giving you the same vote he himself holds, or anything even close to that (unless you own a ton of it or something)

agreed and noted. still seems silly to me though.

the medieval era had a really strict notion of squatters rights, ok

Yeah. 200 years in and as the King of Sicily, the Byzantine Emperor is still sending me these messages.

agreed and noted. still seems silly to me though.

Except that the laws you are asked to vote on will affect the territory you hold in his de-jure kingdom. Historically a landholder in his position would have been required to pay homage (ie get down on one knee and swear loyalty) to a king in whose kingdom he held land, even if he was a king in his own right, or a duke of another kingdom.