• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Van Diemen

General
75 Badges
Jun 19, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
The Holy Roman Empire Revised Mod v1.21​
More power to the Electors​
scaled.php

Main concept and features of the mod

The HRE Revised Mod started as a small project to make the HRE more confined within historical limitations, but has grown to incorporate other features and fix the few balance problems with vanilla. Throughout this mod you will find a dedication to a conservative and limited approach when altering vanilla mechanics or features. We are very cautious when making changes to vanilla values and test all changes extensively. The combination of the limited approach to changing the base game while simultaneously adding in new features that further improve balance and/or increase flavor makes this mod stand in contrast to others. In addition, we have added some new instructions for the AI to make it a more effective foe.

If you find the base game of CK2 to already be pretty damn balanced then you will appreciate the restrained direction of this mod, if you are looking for a drastically overhauled experience this mod is not for you.

We endeavor to be clear and concise when it comes to describing all the changes we have made. The player should know what he is getting from the mod! Below is a list of all the mod's changes divided into three categories: new features, balance alterations, and AI changes.

New Features:

A new decision and event series to be triggered for Holy Roman Emperor, in which he will be able to get crowned by the pope and thus secure a powerful trait that will allow him remain in power within the Empire easier than without. You will first have to ask the Pope to crown you, invite vassals and then proceed to Rome for the coronation ceremony, during which you will receive the Imperial Regalia and the blessings of the Pope.

A new decision in which you as the monarch can ask your vassals to contribute an amount of money to the crown. The new decision can be triggered once every 5 years and will result in money at the expense of both prestige and relationship with your vassals. Indirect vassals (vassals of your duke for example) can also receive an event to contribute potentially lowering their relationship with their lord. In addition, the AI has been assigned proper instructions to utilize this event effectively.

Balance Changes:

Vassals under an elective feudal system become instinctively more against any sort of infringement upon their autonomy. Under such circumstances, increasing crown authority should be extremely difficult. Rulers suffer greater opinion penalties with their vassals under an elective feudal system than an dynastic one when increasing crown authority. Keep in mind this only applies to the top liege who is setting the crown laws.

Furthermore, getting new variants of the succession systems, such as Gavelkind or Primogeniture, will demand much more crown authority in any country which uses the elector succession system compared to those using non-elector systems. It simulates the unlikelihood that electors would peacefully accept any house from gaining total control over the Imperial office or any other independent elector based kingdom.

Vassals are allowed to change succession laws without crown authority requirements. Not only was it strange from a historical perspective that succession laws for vassals were restricted by crown law level, but it also made vassals under low crown authority substantially weaker.

Rebalanced some of the events that grant character traits, like temperate or shy. We made several of these events no longer "one-pick-ponies". They now offer a dilemma by forcing you to choose between two good or two bad traits.

Assassination used to be a "just try until they die" feature in vanilla, now if you want to assassinate someone and it fails, it will severely ruin your relationship with that person for life. Don't expect them to just forget about it in a couple of years.

All Kingdoms/Empires start with historical succession laws.

Defending against infidels gives a more serious relationship bonus.

Buffed Seljuk Turk starting position.

Buffed pagan warrior cult.

AI changes:

Declarations of independence are only possible for an AI vassal if the AI has at least 50% power relative to his liege or the liege is already at war with somebody. This prevents the AI from fruitlessly declaring hopeless campaigns for independence when he has no chance. This allows other smaller lords to begin a more simultaneous offensive against the liege once a stronger lord has initiated conflict, helping the AI to successfully gain independence. In addition, the smaller vassals who won't now declare independence right away will stick around, plot against you, and vote against increasing crown authority. This makes AI plots much more successful!

Tweaked merc balance and instructed AI to use mercs better. We have added a new set of events just for the AI that stashes money (up to 180) for the AI and gives it back when war starts, this greatly improves the AI's use of mercs which was particularly absent early game. We also discovered that the AI weights upkeep costs very heavily for mercs, usually not buying mercs unless it can pay upkeep for a long time. Consequently, mercs now cost much less upkeep than vanilla, but much more initial hire cost. Mercenaries are much, much less exploitable now and you should see the AI use them decently.

AI much less likely to white peace out of an inconclusive war (improves AI bids for independence a lot).

Changelog

Code:
v1.21
- Compatible with PI patch 1.04
- Buffed warrior cult slightly
- Made Seljuks more powerful to fight the byzantines
- Kingdom Tax no longer has a interface tooltip when available

v1.2b
- Tweaked merc balance and instructed ai to use mercs better
- Byzantines are now start gavelkind again to prevent constant capital changing under elective
- Vassals are even less likely to revolt against liege who is defending against infidels
- Time for AI to want to white peace in a stalled war upped substantially

v1.2
- Most countries will now start with historical succession laws
- Revised some vanilla personality trait events
- Revised AI on choosing crown laws and HRE events (coronation)
- AI countries will no longer declare independence without decent power (at least 50% power)
- Made coronation decision slightly harder to trigger

v1.1
- Added new Coronation decision and event series
- Vassals are now free to change succession laws irrespective of crown authority
- Fixed a bug with the medium crown authority levels and vassal opinion
- Improved the Kingdom Tax decision and event series
- Improved the AI judgement for trying to implement higher crown laws

Installing the mod

Installing this mods to your game is easy, just extract the files into your Crusader Kings II\Mod directory and the run mod via the the launcher.

Download

-View attachment HRE Revised Complete v1.21.zip

Credits
Rizzmond and Van Diemen

Last edited:
Sounds like a great mod looking forward to playing this as Burgundy. I especially like the changes in that balance mod, Would be interesting to create a domino effect to bring down entire kingdoms.

Sounds nice, downloading and picking out the parts I want ^-^
Thx for sharing...
That's fine with me, just try out and use what you like. That's why we released them in several parts/mods so that everybody can decide which mods they want.

Interesting I'll definitely try it out. The only thing that IMO is difficult about balancing the HRE is, that it also tends to limit individual imperial vassals too much. IMHO ideally the monarch in the HRE should be more limited than individual vassals; keeping crown authority lower in the HRE is good to represent the central authority, but it also makes changing the succession by individual imperial vassals too hard. IMHO an imperial vassals should be able to switch to primogeniture normally (keeping crown authority low prevents that though), but changing the empire to primogeniture should be very hard.

Interesting I'll definitely try it out. The only thing that IMO is difficult about balancing the HRE is, that it also tends to limit individual imperial vassals too much. IMHO ideally the monarch in the HRE should be more limited than individual vassals; keeping crown authority lower in the HRE is good to represent the central authority, but it also makes changing the succession by individual imperial vassals too hard. IMHO an imperial vassals should be able to switch to primogeniture normally (keeping crown authority low prevents that though), but changing the empire to primogeniture should be very hard.
Yes, I totally agree with you on that issue. I might take a look to see whether that can be improved as well. I might for example put the stringent succession conditions for an elective top liege only, but I need to investigate whether that can be made possible.

The problem with having a "king of the romans" is that you can't have both.

If you want the title to be called "Kingdom of the romans" you'll have to read "the romans"
in the de-jure-kingdom map which is kind of stupid.

How about have a thingie like traits, like "Holding a Summer Fair" or "Aspiring Falconer" for King of the Romans?

Not just election but crown by pope was mass deal hell it bigger deal then election it self.
Ok, now I think I kind of understand in which direction you are moving. You mean that it would be nice to have the HRE crowned by the Pope during a coronation, as a symbol of divine approval. Well, let me think about it a bit. I might come up with a nice new decision for that, but I cannot promise anything yet :).

Ok, now I think I kind of understand in which direction you are moving. You mean that it would be nice to have the HRE crowned by the Pope during a coronation, as a symbol of divine approval. Well, let me think about it a bit. I might come up with a nice new decision for that, but I cannot promise anything yet :).

Going cross my fingers.

Irony of emperor get crown by pope, he illegaly doing it under the donation of constatnine, which found out later it was fraud, but Charles the great was legal Emperor when he was regonize by the ERE.

PS. Get crown by pope was still big deal Western in Europe that where "Holy" and "Rome" come into play.

Yes, I agree. We will change that for the next version.

Ok, just to give all a small update on what we plan for the next release. A small update will probably be available quite soon, which will include:
- Succession law changes possible without crown law restriction for vassals. The Top Liege (e.g. HRE) will still be affected by crown law restraints
- A new decision line with events that will allow the Holy Roman Emperor to be crowned by the Pope, which will give a powerful bonus to the opinion of his vassals
- Small AI changes in crown laws, the AI should no longer try to press crown laws in bad situations
- Small user interface corrections with the Kingdom tax decision and related events

If cold make tilar King of Roman title soon as your elected, then once crown get an give to your son and heir aprient. Untill then you can't give it to heir once give title give roman to heir give more boost and trait of Imperial dystanty,

I have no idea election system work in coding and such. But this idea when win the election you get Tilar title of King of the Roman HRE vassal swear featy but lack benfits until you get crown by pope, depend on your relationship with pope depend on how soon you get crown. From Own you get crown you special election events make your son the King of Roman, so do not have worry about election process when die. Or asking to much?

Last edited:
Released HRE Revised v1.1

We have released v1.1 of the HRE Revised mod. You can see the first post for the files.

Main changes are:
- New coronation decision for the Emperor, which allows him to be crowned by the Pope (gives vassal opinion bonuses)
- Revised the Succession Laws, now vassals can always enact succession laws irrespective of crown laws, the king/emperor is still bound to them of course
- Fixed a bug with continued spawning of lowering vassal opinion under medium crown laws in elective systems
- Improved King tax decision and events
- Improved AI judgement for enacting crown laws

Is there any way to let imperial kingdoms enact crown laws? Just because a king has an emperor above him shouldn't really stop him instituting crown laws of his own. Alternatively, make the HRE a titular entity.

Cheers

Bruce