• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my game (i was playing as King of France) England was won by Harold's brother ultimately in a very weird manner... William the bastard invades England and easily conquers South England while Northern England is at the hands of Norwegians. Harold accepts peace with Norwegians giving up the crown and remains as Duke. William however continues the attack against Norwegians this time. But he has a rough time and he is almost kicked out from the island. Then i decide to help him and while i was fighting Norwegians a message pops out saying that the war ended inconclusively and suddenly Harold's brother became King of England (Harold had been killed) while Norwegians get to keep York provinces.. I dont know if this was a bug or it was because Harold died. But it was a fascinating game... However my pc crashed a few turns later and i never completed this nice game...

Mini-AAR incoming!

Playing as Harald Hardraada, I did. Took northern England while the Saxons battered themselves against the Normans (who still had about 5000 troops in the field when I turned my host south). I kicked the Normans out and killed William the Bastard in battle, leaving his son whats-his-name in charge of Normandy.

But the different succession laws caused my younger, prefered son Olaf to inherit Norway when Harald died leaving the heir who I wished I could divest completely, Magnus, in charge of England. Soon enough I realized what a pain in the ass the different culture penalties for newly conquered domains is leaving me completely empty handed in terms of troops and money. When the Saxon nobles who had remained in the south rose up I emptied my coffers getting a few mercenaries, but a few unlucky events drained Magnus' treasury in half a year and the mercenaries soon turned to my enemies.

In particular, they joined with Magnus' brother Olaf who decided to intervene from Norway bringing 3000 troops with him in addition to the 1500 mercenaries who had defected. Needless to say I couldn't put up any resistance from that point. Magnus died in battle against the mercenaries leaving little Harald in charge of England, then the Normans invaded again but were again smashed by the Norwegians, this time led by Olaf. Olaf stole Harald's rightful crown but left him with the entire northern half of England (as the Duke of York) to build up his power in for a future chance at vengeance. Meanwhile the Saxon nobles were beaten to a pulp again, leaving only Cornwall and Hereford/Oxford still in Saxon hands, the rest of the south controlled by Olaf. The Duke of Hereford/Oxford died leaving only a daughter behind, who was of an age with Harald, who inherited the duchy. Before the game reached 1086 and ended I managed to secure a bethrotal with the girl, giving Harald a chance to control almost 3/4s of England.

A really entertaining, if short, game. :)

I did not pay close attention, but the last game ended in 1086 with ongoing conflict in England - the Saxons having a big advantage over the Normans, having crossed over and occupied most of Normandy.

I have seen Everyone but William win England...

Funniest out come I'v seen yet:
After about 30 years of game play I seen England owned by Denmark, and all of Denmark except 1 province owned by England... Not sure how this took place as I was only focused on Spain till I decided to look around. No screenshot as I didnt think much of it at the time.

I've seen everyone involved win. The most fun I had was playing William. Too bad the 20year limit ended the consolidation I was doing. I was stabilising the country by banishing everyone who had a claim, fighting the resulting wars caused by tyranny and then of course imprisoning every plotter and treacherous man in my realm. I found out, that an easy way to stabilise, ensure loalty, and as a bonus, gain piety is to give your bishops counties and duchies. They will respect you a lot if you choose the right character. Then of course you should consider creating an antipope, and bribing the rest of the clergy with land grants and money. The church is your friend rather than a secular lord. Just don't give them too much power, so you can subjugate them if you wish so.

Every game I've played so far the Normans and Norweigens have wiped each other out after killing off Harolds initial stack, then Harlolds new levies wiped up what was left when he remobilised. Never seen anyone but a Godwinson with the Crown. Also, playing as William, I was able to take most of southern England but then had to peace with Harold when the funds run out. Even though I was now king of England all of Harolds old vassals went independent. I managed a few years of peace but then somehow king Philip of France gets claims to all (including king of England) of my titles. I get a DoW from him and manage to survive for about 5 years by ransoming captives to pay for mercs, but eventually the gold runs out as not only do I not have all of England like I should, (I know for a fact that William didn't have to conquer every province in England to become he new de facto king) but I can't raise the levies for any of the provinces I have as I still have the 'recently conquered modifiers'.

At the time of the DoW from France I was allied with them with 100 rep each way. If the AI has any of the problems I faced I can see why William never wins England. But as far as getting the army across the channel is concerned, isn't that hard to split the army in half, land in Kent and reassemble whilst Harlold is in the North.

Playing as Matilda of Toscana, my son's brother in law, an Italian Catholic is the current holder of the King of England.
All hail King Bernardo the Conqueror!

This King is having a hard time holding it, but the might of the Holy Roman Empire is swaying thing in his favour.

william doesnt have enough ships to send the whole 7000 men over in one go which is probably causing problems for the AI. i dont think william had this problem as he was able to send over the whole army in one go.

a simple fix would be increasing the number of ships william can raise which would be more in line with how it happened in history.

Historically William had a fleet of 700 ships.

1st game
William dies very quickly. The war between Harald and Harold drags on. On reaching adulthood Robert of Normandy invades England and also dies quickly. Eventually Harald's son Magnus revolts and Harald dies (these two things may or may not be related), leaving Harold Godwinson as king.

2nd game
First time I look at England there's one group of occupied provinces around York and another around London. Seems reasonable enough, until I mouseover and see that William has the York group and Harald has the London group. Bwuh?

Eventually William wins. Harold "the Cruel" still has a few provinces as William's vassal, Radulf de Gael has an independent Norfolk, Waltheof rules Cornwall, Devon and Somerset as Duke of Oxford and Eadwin has inherited Morcar's duchies (except York which is William's) giving him 10 counties. Unfortunately I had to quit in 1083 just as William was finishing off a revolt by Robert and another Norman count, so I didn't get to see whether Eadwin would throw his weight around.

Last edited:
They must have just tweaked something with the demo version. William used to win the majority in the beta Let's Plays I saw.

Just played couple of quick games as Harold to test a new tactic, both times ended up with Harold winning the wars of succession. Procedure as follows:

1. Split up your starting army into as many separate armies as possible
2. Attack William's army with every separate army one after the other
3. Wait until William dies, if he does not, wait a bit, re-mobilise, rinse, repeat.
4. Once William dies, (and he almost certainly will, for some reason that doesn't make a lot of sense to me yet) Normady will be out of the war.
5. De-Mobilise all troops, wait until you get roughly 400 ducats.
6. Hire the most expensive mercenary band you can, wipe out Harald's army.
7. Dismiss Mercs, re-mobilise. Take back any provinces you lost, hail for peace with Harald.

Worked every time for me. Dunno why but playing as William it took me 3 attempts for the scenario i described earlier (where I conquered the south of england) to happen, as William was constantly being slain on the battlefield.

They must have just tweaked something with the demo version. William used to win the majority in the beta Let's Plays I saw.

TBH, from what the above, they shouldn't have changed it. William DID win, so it would make sense for him to win the majority of games.

Just my two cents.

Every game I've played so far the Normans and Norweigens have wiped each other out after killing off Harolds initial stack, then Harlolds new levies wiped up what was left when he remobilised. Never seen anyone but a Godwinson with the Crown. Also, playing as William, I was able to take most of southern England but then had to peace with Harold when the funds run out. Even though I was now king of England all of Harolds old vassals went independent. I managed a few years of peace but then somehow king Philip of France gets claims to all (including king of England) of my titles. I get a DoW from him and manage to survive for about 5 years by ransoming captives to pay for mercs, but eventually the gold runs out as not only do I not have all of England like I should, (I know for a fact that William didn't have to conquer every province in England to become he new de facto king) but I can't raise the levies for any of the provinces I have as I still have the 'recently conquered modifiers'.

At the time of the DoW from France I was allied with them with 100 rep each way. If the AI has any of the problems I faced I can see why William never wins England. But as far as getting the army across the channel is concerned, isn't that hard to split the army in half, land in Kent and reassemble whilst Harlold is in the North.

I believe you have to capture the capital of every duchy to prevent independence.

Well, continuing on, King Bernardo could not pay his mercenaries, the Lombard Band who decided they wanted what he owned. They did, and now the Lancastrians are sweeping down England from the north while the 'King' sits in Dorset unable to gain money because his county is wholly occupied.

England, you have never known peace for over 20 years...

I believe you have to capture the capital of every duchy to prevent independence.

AFAIK it's every province owned by a direct vassal of the current king, but not indirect vassals. I realise that's what you have to do, but the point is you shouldn't have to. Not exactly historical :(.

I tried to play as William the Bastard but accidently played as William Count of Eu instead. It was fun. William the Conquerer defeated Harold Godwinson and managed a white peace with Hadrada. My William the Count of Eu was given the title of Duke of Normandy whilst William the Conquerer kept hold of Rouen. Philip of France decided to go to war with the Conquerer when I wasnt looking and I had no troops or support so he overran my one holding. In an effort to improve my possition I turn coated. Philip won the war and kept rouen to my disgust. I however consolidated my possition as Duke of Normandy undisputed. I have my heir and only son betrothed to the ruling duchess of Tolouse and my third daughter betrothed to the infant King of France who succeeded Philip. shame the game ended after 20 years with a score of 780 something. During that time France remained under 0 crown authority and I increased feudal tax. All my vassals like me and I was secure with wealth and prosperity. I brought a few people to court with decent abilities and my first action was to marry a very capable intriging woman as my wife even though she was a Spanish mayors daughter it was a good deal for me.

Playing 3 long games with the 400 year "cheat" I've seen Harold win it once, William once, and one time William won it but lost almost everything to rebelling vassals. Lancaster owned almost all of England last I saw.

[Mini-AAR]
Just played through as William, and what an amazing game that was; I cannot wait to buy this new entry from Paradox. Seriously, I decimated Harold's forces capturing his dukes and counts in the process and post victory; I besieged southern England. After gaining a decent foothold I moved north and let the Godwinson and Yngling fight it out and then at the last second joined in on the fray which was taking place in York. After the armies of both kingdoms were essentially defeated it was just a matter of besieging as quickly as possible with my combined army of a few Italian mercenaries and the feudal levies. I almost suffered complete defeat a few times and only won because of Williams martial prowess due to Harold constantly raising fresh levies along with the Isles levies from Norway. After achieving relative victory in England and going nearly bankrupt the final battle in Derby left William in a coma....
I honestly was so shocked and saddened by the turn of events. William had single handedly gave both the Norwegians and the English their asses haha. So I won the war regardless and left the mopping up to the Prince. Sadly, after about a month of victory in England the Welsh and Isles declared war and were able to raise a larger levy than I was due to having a different culture and having the recently conquered modifier on all of my 'demense'. I found it extraordinarily difficult to maintain even a 1000 man levy due to the extreme penalty when William conquers England, nontheless I was able to defeat the Welsh and Isleish and then had to face insurmountable rebellions from the Anglo Saxon vassals. :wacko:
I had managed to make the rebellion a little less harsh at first by marrying into one of the Saxon duchies but when nearly every English vassal revolted it became a landslide effect with a "Four way civil war for the English throne". Even as I fought on hoping to achieve some kind of minor victory in the end even my brother fled the kingdom to join the Saxons with a claim to my throne.
Granted this is the greatest game of Crusader Kings I have ever played, the extreme penalty for raising levy's imposed once William conquers England makes it nigh impossible to maintain order. I could find no conceivable way of holding the demense together, even with all of my efforts.

[Mini-AAR]
Just played through as William, and what an amazing game that was; I cannot wait to buy this new entry from Paradox. Seriously, I decimated Harold's forces capturing his dukes and counts in the process and post victory; I besieged southern England. After gaining a decent foothold I moved north and let the Godwinson and Yngling fight it out and then at the last second joined in on the fray which was taking place in York. After the armies of both kingdoms were essentially defeated it was just a matter of besieging as quickly as possible with my combined army of a few Italian mercenaries and the feudal levies. I almost suffered complete defeat a few times and only won because of Williams martial prowess due to Harold constantly raising fresh levies along with the Isles levies from Norway. After achieving relative victory in England and going nearly bankrupt the final battle in Derby left William in a coma....
I honestly was so shocked and saddened by the turn of events. William had single handedly gave both the Norwegians and the English their asses haha. So I won the war regardless and left the mopping up to the Prince. Sadly, after about a month of victory in England the Welsh and Isles declared war and were able to raise a larger levy than I was due to having a different culture and having the recently conquered modifier on all of my 'demense'. I found it extraordinarily difficult to maintain even a 1000 man levy due to the extreme penalty when William conquers England, nontheless I was able to defeat the Welsh and Isleish and then had to face insurmountable rebellions from the Anglo Saxon vassals. :wacko:
I had managed to make the rebellion a little less harsh at first by marrying into one of the Saxon duchies but when nearly every English vassal revolted it became a landslide effect with a "Four way civil war for the English throne". Even as I fought on hoping to achieve some kind of minor victory in the end even my brother fled the kingdom to join the Saxons with a claim to my throne.
Granted this is the greatest game of Crusader Kings I have ever played, the extreme penalty for raising levy's imposed once William conquers England makes it nigh impossible to maintain order. I could find no conceivable way of holding the demense together, even with all of my efforts.

In that case have to replaces the major dukes with your counts or courtiers, then marry into one strong saxon nobles familes. Then hold onto your boot straps and hope for best.