• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alrhuff

Corporal
31 Badges
Sep 9, 2004
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Is there any way that you can change what Cot a province is in? I presume there is a file somewhere with this information, but I've not been able to find it. Thanks in advance.

Maybe I didn't phrase the question quite right. For example, if province X is currently attached to say Liguria, is there anyway that it can be changed to trade in, say, Venezia? I guess part of the questions might be if you create a Cot during the game, how does the game determine which provinces will 'feed' that particular CoT?

Thanks again.

Maybe I didn't phrase the question quite right. For example, if province X is currently attached to say Liguria, is there anyway that it can be changed to trade in, say, Venezia? I guess part of the questions might be if you create a Cot during the game, how does the game determine which provinces will 'feed' that particular CoT?

Thanks again.

things that will influence which CoT a province's trade goods will go to...

if part of a trade league
exclusive trading rights
how near a province is to a CoT
high mercantilist policy favors a CoT owned by you

ETA: embargos, which has a counter effect to the above

Well,

A) Embargoing a CoT owner will prevent any of your provinces from trading through any of their CoTs (but it also hurts your Trade Efficiency).

B) Culture will slightly biased who trades where (although in this case it shouldn't matter, they're both Lombard).

C) Being in someone's Trade League makes your provinces much more likely to trade through that person.

D) Trade Rights make a province guaranteed to trade through that TL's CoT(s).

E) Obviously proximity matters as well.

F) Your provinces will be much more likely to trade through your own CoTs.

That's what comes to mind.

Well, I know I'm belaboring the point, but where does the game store the info as to which province is attached to which CoT. If province 345 currently trades with the CoT in province 456, where in the game files is this info available?

I appreciate the info on the game mechanics. I like EU3 but find some of its inner workings rather mystifying at times.

I'm pretty certain the CoT a province trades to is dynamically generated based on the applicable factors and isn't actually stored anywhere.

I'm pretty certain the CoT a province trades to is dynamically generated based on the applicable factors and isn't actually stored anywhere.

This. The game calculates a CoT "attraction" rating for every province in the game then sorts them to CoTs accordingly. Factors that demonstrably affect this rating include travel time (distance) between them, religion, culture, owner's mercantile rating, owned CoTs, merchant league membership (and merchant league government CoT attraction bonus), and land connected to owned CoT vs overseas. Relations with CoT owners may also have an effect but that is harder to judge. There may well be others that I am missing but these are things that I have seen change a province's CoT when I have changed them (well you can't change distance but it clearly has an effect).

It does so in some sort of sequence and then modifies the remaining provinces to reflect the # of provinces in a CoT as a limiter (note that in general the number of provinces trading through CoTs is somewhat equalised although obviously mercantalism is clearly a higher priority) which is why you'll see provinces bounce back and forth between a couple different CoTs as a single province changes hands/converts religion/culture or a colony is established, etc.

So, for example, if province A has attraction of 45 for Andalucia and 44 for Lisboa, province B is 46 for Andalucia, 43 Lisboa, province C is 47/42 reflecting primarily a shorter distance to Andalucia for B & C. Province C is slotted first because it has the highest raw attraction to any CoT and reduces all attractiveness to Andalucia by .75 for having another province trading there, B goes to Andalucia next (still higher than A in total and Andalucia still higher with 45.25) dropping its attractiveness again, resulting in A going to Lisboa with a 44 vs 43.5 attractiveness. (These numbers are made up but they get the idea across).