• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

Just a few questions Doomdark:

1. Were you involved in designing or programming CK1 or Deus Vult? Why is it that this game is so much superior and better looking than that game?

Keep in mind that CK1 had a ridiculously abbreviated development cycle. It was originally supposed to be written by a different company (Snowball), but they were unable to finish what they started so Johan and the Swedes had to write pretty much the entire thing in six months. Which explains CK's flaws pre-DV. DV was actually an excellent game.

But CK2 looks better because a) they have a lot more experience doing this kind of game now, and b) we haven't been able to kick the tires. I'll be shocked if there isn't at least one thing all of us hate in the final release that we haven't noticed yet.

Nick

If you hold 50% of the counties you can usurp the duchy title. Or you could get a duchy claim and then take the whole duchy in one war.
And of you're King of France you get a free claim on an independent Brittany because it's de jure part of France...

Al-Andalus is a proper de jure kingdom in southern Spain. Only Muslims can create it.
Which implies that there are different de jure Kingdom maps for all major religions.

Which is incredibly cool, and a vast improvement over CK1 and DV.

Nick

1. I wonder, which tribes are represented on the modern territory of Latvia and Estonia at the beginning of the game?

2. Is there republics, and if yes how does they look?

Which implies that there are different de jure Kingdom maps for all major religions.

Which is incredibly cool, and a vast improvement over CK1 and DV.

Nick
I agree, it would be really awesome, but when I asked him about this very same thing, Doomdark seemed to imply this wasn't true. If it was, Castille wouldn't have been reduced (its de jure provinces would be as seen in the previews, still contain the whole of Andalucia, only it would just be available for Christians). It seems that the de jure kingdoms are still the same for all religions, but Castille simply got "nerfed" and their former southern provinces are now Al-Andalus. Christians might still create it, but it won't be called Al-Andalus but Kingdom of Andalucía or something like that. At least that's how I interpreted his answer...

I hope it was my mistake and there are indeed different de jure maps for different religions, or if it wasn't, that Paradox eventually considers adding it. It would be a great feature :)

By the way, Doomdark, I'm a bit late but thanks for taking the time to answer and merry Christmas!

I hope it was my mistake and there are indeed different de jure maps for different religions, or if it wasn't, that Paradox eventually considers adding it. It would be a great feature :)

You are right. Each province can only belong to one de jure structure as it is. Having multiple de jure structures for different religions would indeed be quite cool and it's an idea that has been discussed. But it's also quite complicated. So maybe in the future sometime.

The Mongols are a scourge from Hell. Resistance is futile.

View attachment 44392

Holy jesus, look at that Golden Horde, the mongols truly are a scourge from Hell. Heck, they even conquered a united Rus, seeing the remnants around the eastern end of their empire.
Poland also seems to have lost most of their native territories, and started to rely on pagan conquering.
Al-Andalus conquering what it didn't conquer hundreds of years ago!
Africa?
The Timurids don't seem to move much
Sweden in Hungary?, Denmark in Croatia?.

This game looks extremely promising, can't wait until february.

how will landless characters be able to amass wealth and raise mercenary armies? I hope landless chararcters can have more means to suceed this time. This would add more pretenders and such.

Is atheism represented in the game?

If so it's maximum extent would likely be some events about very private toughts of some educated character that might land him in big trouble with more "Pious" folk, but you couldn't exactly be broadcasting that "Theism doesn't make sense" during that time even if there surely were some who thought so, as with any concept. And it's definitely not present as a "None" option amongst the religions in the vein of Catholic/Orthodox/Sunni/Norse or what-have-you, apart from maybe in the sense "noculture noreligion" is the result in EU3 when you don't type any in, just as a safe-guard against the game screwing up.

Is atheism represented in the game?

There was no such thing as public Atheism. At best, it will be some personal events over doubts whether God really exists.

Anyways, on to my question:

- Can you tell us about particularly hilarious or curious situations that were happening in the game, brought by the AI or by bugs?

If questions continue tomorrow, I have one. How is English culture represented? Does it appear similar to how the English culture appears in CK1, via melting pot event? Or is it being done another way, or not at all? Thanks, and be sure to drink copious amounts of alcohol with Johan and the gang on Christmas :).

Well, I might be late but i have to try two questions that has been on my mind for quite a while.

1. How is the game fit to play a MP game where a bunch of players play as dukes in the same big realm (HRE or Byzantium comes to mind), fighting eachother over the emperor title and at the same time having to work together to defend the realm from outside threats? Would this make a fun MP-experience?
2. In 10 avarage hands-off games what is the avarage status of the Byzantine Empire after, say 100 or 200 years?
In how many games is the Empire gone, in how mant has it expanded and so on? =)

Was wondering to what extent event scripting has been modified to be more like EUIII EU Rome and Sengoku

Specifically can you script and event to:
- Declare war
- create an alliance
- create a marriage/betrothal (I assume using add_spouse)
- Repudiate a spouse remove_spouse
- End a war with a white peace
- gain or surrender provinces (I assume this will be hardest to script if possible..maybe provinces or titles you have a claim on)

CK1 was a bit limited in the diplomatic events, was wondering how much that has been changed.

Also noticed a couple of events mentioned where the king engages in hanky panky resulting in an unwanted bundle of joy. Can you create a pregnancy by event now?

Which CK2 dev enjoys inbreeding the most?

I know Muslims and Pagans are not going to be playable in the initial release, but are there plans to make them playable later on, in a DLC/expansion?

Will the game have an achievement system?

Yes.

If questions continue tomorrow, I have one. How is English culture represented? Does it appear similar to how the English culture appears in CK1, via melting pot event? Or is it being done another way, or not at all? Thanks, and be sure to drink copious amounts of alcohol with Johan and the gang on Christmas :).

It is handled through special events.

Well, I might be late but i have to try two questions that has been on my mind for quite a while.

1. How is the game fit to play a MP game where a bunch of players play as dukes in the same big realm (HRE or Byzantium comes to mind), fighting eachother over the emperor title and at the same time having to work together to defend the realm from outside threats? Would this make a fun MP-experience?

We haven't had time to play too much MP yet but this is absolutely a fun scenario. In one short game we had both Tegus, Birken and former dev Brother Bean playing HRE dukes, and it didn't take them long before they were trying to expand and "correcting" their de jure borders against each other.

2. In 10 avarage hands-off games what is the avarage status of the Byzantine Empire after, say 100 or 200 years?
In how many games is the Empire gone, in how mant has it expanded and so on? =)

The Byzantines rarely collapse and usually manage to expand. If you look at the screenshot earlier in this thread where Muslims and Golden Horde were eating up Europe, the Byzantines still held the fort.

Was wondering to what extent event scripting has been modified to be more like EUIII EU Rome and Sengoku

Specifically can you script and event to:
- Declare war
- create an alliance
- create a marriage/betrothal (I assume using add_spouse)
- Repudiate a spouse remove_spouse
- End a war with a white peace
- gain or surrender provinces (I assume this will be hardest to script if possible..maybe provinces or titles you have a claim on)

War and gain provinces/titles - yes. The others I'm more uncertain about, because it's nothing that I've used myself, but they might be in there.

Also noticed a couple of events mentioned where the king engages in hanky panky resulting in an unwanted bundle of joy. Can you create a pregnancy by event now?

Yes.

Which CK2 dev enjoys inbreeding the most?

Probably King or podcat. But not as much as they like dwarfs.

How long does it take to fabricate a claim on a duchy/kingdom?

You can't fabricate a claim on a Kingdom. A claim on a count title might take 6-8 years on average. It depends on how good you Chancellor is. A duchy claim would take about as long but is only available if your Chancellor has high diplomacy enough.