• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rifal

Banned
40 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Ultima Ratio Regum

Final Argument of Kings

A France D&T AAR

After the very premature death of my Last AAR due to me being very careless with the save (Please don´t send gunships) I felt that I really didnt wanna stop writing AAR´s. This AAR will be similar to my previous ones, that is History book style as that is a style Im familiar with and feel comfortable with.

While France is not a very challanging nation to play, the only real threat is a Early-mid game Spanish, Austrian and English anti France union I am however confident that a good story can come out of playing a large nation. Lots of large epic wars with the HRE and Spain that are just wonderful to write about (Atlest I think so, I have only played france once before and that was back in In Nomine.)

Goals:
- Throw the English of the Continent,

- Defeat/Annex Burgundy,
- Generally annoy the Holy Roman Empire,
- Secure Northern Italy, No Spaniards or Habsburgs are allowed there,
- Protect the Lowcountries either by guarantees or annexations,
- Colonise North America,
- Dismantle the HRE
- Last but not least: Write a good Story for my readers.

Last edited:
Another Rifal AAR? Let's hope this one is more successful! :)

I've liked your earlier stuff, so I'll go along with this one too!

Ooh! Looks good!

Im really glad to see so many readers waiting. I Promise that the first update is comming. Its just that with Christmas closing in rapidly I have precious little time to write. Im hoping to have the first chapter up on Christmas Day (Dec 25)

YOu chose the picture of Montcalm defending the Nouvelle France as your title. I sure hope you keep america french!

YOu chose the picture of Montcalm defending the Nouvelle France as your title. I sure hope you keep america french!

Yes I did. The 18th century is my favourite period in history. Especially the colonial conflicts during The Seven years war.
The Picture is "The Victory of Montcalm's Troops at Carillon" by Henry Alexander Ogden. France may have lost the war but it is a pretty painting.

Chapter I

Mounting Tensions

Charles VI of France

October 14th 1399, the great conflict with England over the French throne has entered a period of cecefire. The Kingdom of France finally has some time to consolidate its position. King Charles VI known as “the Mad” for his repeated bouts with madness was for now normal and quite a capable ruler. The Long and bloody wars with England has left France quite vulnerable and Charles policies (+1 Centralization) isn´t contributing much to make things better. (-1 Stability)

On the 7th of August 1401 Charles is out hunting deer. The King is separated from his retinue when chasing a fleeing deer. About 30 minutes later Charles retinue finds the king on his knees near a small creek, the king is cradling an infant in his arms. In what many historians claim to be another bout with madness Charles names the abandoned child his Heir and Crown Prince of France. An action not liked by many but for now no one argues with the King as they are certain that the king will come to his senses and rectify his error.

The years 1401-1404 passes rather uneventfully for France, yet this worries the king. England is far too quiet and is undoubtedly plotting another try at the French throne. In response to this Charles orders a drastic increase in army personnel. By 1404 the French army consists of 16000 men at arms and 8000 Knights. A large portion of France´s nobility is rallying to the Kings banner in defiance of the English usurpers. An Alliance is also signed with the Archduchy of Austria; a strong continental ally will certainly put a dampener on any English invasion plans.

While these measures are enough to forestall any English invasion of France in May1405 Charles receives word that the English has invaded the small duchy of Brittany. Further English footholds on the continent cannot be allowed, Using the French claims on Calais as pretext Charles Declare war upon England. The reason for the daring English attack on the continent soon becomes apparent as The duke of Austria Albert IV states that he will back England in this conflict, Charles has been betrayed and France is plunged into a three front war with England, Austria and Portugal. On the 11th of May the Armée Royale consisting of 8000 Men at Arms and 4000 Knights under the command of Charles himself marches west from Caux towards Brittany to drive the English back into the sea.

Meanwhile Marshall Jean II Le Meingre Leads the Armée du Nord and the Armée de l`Est into the Duchy of Aquitaine.

Opening moves of the Western campaign.

France c. 1405

Charles VI de Valois (ADM:8 MIL:8 DIP:8)

Treasury: 524 Million Ducats
GDP: 510,6 Million Ducats

Army: 16000 Men at Arms, 8 000 Knights
Reserves: 40,000
Discipline: 110%
Tradition: Land: 20, 20 Naval: 00, 90

Prestige: 2
Legitimacy: 100

Last edited:
First update on christmas day, as promised :) Just a short intro to get going, as the war and events pick up updates will get longer and with more screenshots.
As usual: Praise, Advise, Flame. Whatever I deserve. Merry Christmas.

Chapter II

The French Intervention
Amongthe military men of France there were no doubt in anyone’s mind that France was now in imminent peril. French spies report Portuguese troops moving across the Iberian Peninsula and the Duke of Austria mustering men in Tirol. The cost of saving Brittany from English invasion might be a very steep one indeed.

The Bretagne Campaign

Faced with the overwhelming numbers of French soldiers marching into Brittany the English commander Henry Albemarle withdraws his forces in a hurry towards the small town of Pontivy, there he makes his stand with his left flank anchored on the river and his Right guarded by Heavy knights on horseback.

Battle of Pontivy (25-06-1405)

Prelude: Henry Albemarle had in the face of overwhelming French forces withdrawn towards the small town of Pontivy where he had fortified his position against the French. Henry deployed his Longbows and men at Arms in the centre, his left flank anchored to the shores of the River Blavet and his right guarded by over 2000 heavily armored knights.

The Battle:
The initial archer skirmish goes poorly for the French as the English longbows both outreach and outnumber the French archers. The English archers are also better trained and supplied.

Seeing the failure of his archers Charles puts his trust in his unrivalled knights. 4000 Knights thunder towards the English cavalry while 12000 Men at arms close on the British centre. English longbows fail to do any proper damage to the French infantry. With its knights driven from the filed the English infantry starts to realize that the day is lost. The timely arrival of 10000 Breton soldiers causes a panic and mass rout of the English force.

Aftermath:
Albemarle however manages to rally most of his force and retreat in good order towards Nantes, the Breton capital. The fall of Nantes would be devastating to the Bretons and both the Breton duke and King Charles give chase to the English.

The Battle of Nantes (23-07-1405)

Prelude: With the defeat of his army at Pontivy Albemarle gambles that he can force Nantes to surrender to him and use the city as a stronghold while waiting for reinforcements from England. However the Franco/Breton force under King Charles VI arrives far sooner than Albemarle planned for. He is forced to lift his siege and confront the attackers.

The Battle: As the armies are forming up for battle Charles receives a messenger in his camp. The messenger is a young man, boy really from Pommarania. He carries a message stating that Pomeranian forces will be under Charles command as well, with these additions Charles army outnumbers the English about 3 to 1.

In hopes to confuse and disorient the Force facing him Albemarle orders an emideate attack on Charles forces. Albemarle takes personal command of his Knights and Men at Arms and leads them in a frontal attack against the French. In doing so however he has left his longbows undefended and they are emmideatly set upon by Breton Cavalry.

With his rear unguarded Albemarle finds himself trapped between Breton and French forces. Every time he attempts to break the enemy lines he finds the gap plugged by Pomeranian auxiliaries. When night starts to fall the English have lost about half of their fighting force, Albemarle and the remains of his army slips through the Pomeranian lines under the cover of night.

Aftermath:
The fleeing English army would be caught trying to escape to the coast and all of its supplies captured by the Duke of Brittany, marking an end to the Brittany campaign for now.

The Aquitaine campaign

In the duchy of Aquitaine resistance is light, only Bordeaux and Bayonne holds firm against the French forces. They are however forced to surrender on the 18th of December as the cold and lack of food cripples the defenders.

(The Duchy of Aquitaine is completely under French control)

Marshall Jean has returned to celebrate Christmas in Paris. He plans to return in spring to lead his armies across the Iberian Peninsula to defeat the Portuguese.

The French army in winter camp in Bayonne receives a rude awakening in February when words reach them that the Portuguese King has crossed the Pyrenees with 8000 men. Panic spreads among the leaderless French, at this point Jean I de Valois, duke of Orleans arrives in Bayonne, takes command of the French forces and Marches to meet the Portuguese who are now just outside Bayonne. They meet near the small village of Arcangues.

The battle is rather one sided as the Portuguese army is not ready to face the Professional troops of the French. The Portuguese withdraw across Iberia in shame.

The war now falls into a predictable stalemate, the defenses in French occupied Aquitaine are strengthened and further men are drafted into the army in the anticipation of the next English attempt to liberate its continental holdings.

The attack comes in June 1406 when Henry Albemarle lands in Normandie and begins and overland march towards Paris. If Paris falls the English claims will undoubtedly be strengthened in the eyes of foreign courts. Charles musters his men and rushes to the defense of the French Capital. The English army is only 2 hours march from the walls of Paris when Charles finally manages to intercept them.

The English force is Tired, Exhausted even from the long march from the Beaches of Normandie to Paris, many has already starved to death and faced with a French force more than twice their numbers the English puts up a feeble fight and soon surrender to the French King. Albemarle flees back across the channel with only a few staff members.

The In the following years Marshall Jean II leads his forces across the Iberian Peninsula to Portugal and on the 1st of July 1411 he captures Lisbon. The Portuguese are forced to pay a severe indemnity for their involvement in the war. Another treaty is signed with the English only 4 days later in Gascoigne. The entire duchy of Aquitaine is annexed by France. England’s Continental ambitions are being dashed to the ground as France achieves her greatest victory in a very long conflict stained by constant defeats.

France c. 1412

Charles VI de Valois (ADM:8 MIL:8 DIP:8)

Treasury: 1224 Million Ducats
GDP: 690,6 Million Ducats

Army: 20000 Men at Arms, 10 000 Knights
Reserves: 55,000

Discipline: 120%
Tradition: Land: 44, 20 Naval: 00, 90

Prestige: 37
Legitimacy: 100

Chapter III

Hell hath no fury like the Holy See scorned
With the defeat of the English armies, the annexation of the Duchy of Aquitaine and the humbling of the Portuguese France´s future is looking a lot brighter. The English claim to her throne has suffered a severe drop in legitimacy and France has proven that even distant enemies can be humbled by her martial might.

Jean II duke of Orleans, a man who served France faithfully and well in the war expires without an heir in January 1412 of Pneumonia. His realm is swiftly incorporated into France proper.

Attaque, Attaque, Attaque

The experience from the war with the English and their fearsome Longbows has taught Frances military minds several important lessons. One of the most important is the issue that the English Longbow causes. Having superior Range and Stopping power coupled with the English actually treating their archers as real soldiers and not mere cannon fodder makes a big difference on the battlefield.

This problem is not made any easier by the massive arguments between France´s leading military minds. The situation is severe enough to almost cause Civil War when Charles steps in. Having personally been campaigning in Brittany against the English he knows that any tactic that relies on inactivity and defense will be met with disaster he and several military thinkers introduce new tactics of swift and sudden cavalry attacks to negate the English range advantage. These new tactics will soon have a chance to prove themselves.

Charles will continue his path of integrating the semi-independent duchies and counties of France as he on the 8th of June forces the Duke of Auvergne to abdicate and turn his lands over to the crown.

The French protection of the Antipope Benedictus XIII had long been a thorn in the pope’s side yet he did not dare excommunicate the French king without a strong continental ally. This wish is however granted in 1429 when both Enrique IV of Castille-Leon and Aragon and Henry V of England pledges complete fealty to the Pope.

England hopes to use Charles excommunication as an excuse to retake either the Aquitaine or Normandie, preferably both and maybe even the French throne. Enrique hopes to use it to strengthen his relations with the Catholic Church and receive the popes blessing for another crusade to retake the holy land.

Whatever their intentions the papal bull excommunicating Charles VI from the Catholic Church arrives in Paris on the 17th of September 1429. This will mark the beginning of a bitter rivalry between France and most catholic powers in Europe. France is portrayed as “The great monster” that threatens all of Europe.

The Reeds King

Charles VI de Valois is found dead in his bedchamber on the 23rd of June 1432. He is succeeded by “The child from the Reeds” Charles VI never disinherited him. Of course this leads to massive protests from virtually all of the higher nobility, however only one dares raise arms against the king. Jean-Antoine de Pellefort.

France c. 1432

Charles VII de Valois (ADM:6 MIL:4 DIP:4)

By the Grace of God, King of France

Treasury: 1354 Million Ducats
GDP: 692,6 Million Ducats
Army: 20000 Men at Arms, 10 000 Knights
Reserves: 61,000

Discipline: 120%
Tradition: Land: 40, 20 Naval: 00, 90

Prestige: 3

Legitimacy: 20

Last edited:
Most excellent. I like that Austria, England and Castille sort off group together to fight the French, otherwise it would be too easy.

Im very curious to see you unite all of France and the Low Countries under your rule! (We Dutch were huge fans of the French back then)

Nice update! With a couple more minor vassals absorbed you're on track to drive out the Burgundians.

Most excellent. I like that Austria, England and Castille sort off group together to fight the French, otherwise it would be too easy.

Im very curious to see you unite all of France and the Low Countries under your rule! (We Dutch were huge fans of the French back then)

I like it too, otherwise Europe would be blue by 1500. It also allows for some pretty Epic wars.

Nice update! With a couple more minor vassals absorbed you're on track to drive out the Burgundians.

I was originally planning to fight Burgundy next. However without spoiling to much I can say that the next two or three chapters is me being hit in the face by the mother of all sidetrackers

Last edited:
I am glad to see the initial war went well for you (though I die a little inside to see England shoved off the continent). Also, +10 internets for the title (Louis XIV had some hilariously pithy remarks) and the painting of Montcalm in the opening post.

I like it too, otherwise Europe would be blue by 1500. It also allows for some pretty Epic wars.

That's the spirit!

Are you going to contain yourself to French culture possessions (or historical possessions + aspirations) on the Continent, or go for the grand Napoleonic design?

I was originally planning to fight Burgundy next. However without spoiling to much I can say that the next two or three chapters is me being hit in the face by the mother of all sidetrackers

Events failing to go according to plan does make for a lively AAR, though. Looking forward to reading all about it!