• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rifal

Banned
40 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Dominum Maris Baltici-Lord of the Baltic Sea
A Sweden Death and Taxes AAR

First of all relax. No I am not abandoning my Castille AAR. I have seen plenty of pepole juggle two AARs and I am fairly confident that I can aswell.

Yes this is another Sweden AAR, I felt like trying it in Death and Taxes and it feels alot more motivated if I turn it into a story.

I will be playing Sweden from the 1521 bookmark that Death and Taxes adds. 1521 is when the Swedish war of liberation started.

I will write this in mostly history book form but Im going to attempt some narrative aswell as I have found inspiration from Damienreave´s Awsome AAR The Red lioness of Holland. Its probably the best Narrative AAR out there, read it.

The History book influences comes ofcourse from Chris Taylors amazing Porta Atlanticum, Portus Classis the unquestionable flagship of AARs

Primary Goals: Win the war of Liberation, Dominate the Baltic

Secondary Goals: Follow Swedens sweet "Conquer x"missions,
Support protestants in Germany and elsewhere, Some colonies here and there.

Lastly; This AAR will go to 1821 if its the last thing I do!!

If this seems interesting Then feel free to tag along. If not then feel free to leave, noone is holding a gun to your head.

Table of Contents:

Gustav Vasa (1521-1548)

Chapter I: The war of liberation
Chapter II: We are Free!

Oskar I von Zweibrücken (1558-1575)

Chapter III: The von Zweibrückens
Chapter IV: Hot från tvenne sidor
Intermission: God wills it!-Sweden during the Protestant conversions.

Gustav II Adolf von Zweibrücken (1575-?)

Chapter V: The Estonian War

Last edited:
Excellent! I shall follow this closely! :)

Excellent! I shall follow this closely! :)

Can't wait for it to start! Subscribed :D

Let's see if you can keep the Vasa dynasty going longer than it originally did. Good luck.

Glad too se that atleast some pepole are abourd for this one. Sorry about it being so slow to start but real life is not staying out of my buisness. Also alot of my sparetime is spent on Skyrim. I am certain that the first chapter will be up during the weekend. (November 26th-27th)

Two AARs and a newly released Elder Scrolls game? I think that's rather ambitious, Rifal. ;)

Chapter I

The War of Liberation (1521-1525)

In the summer of 1521 Gustav Vasa was a man with more problems than is healthy. His revolt against the Danes had been successful so far and his peasant army had swelled to a mighty 11 000 men. He had even gotten his hands on a regiment of German artillerists. Now however he had received word that the Danes were mounting a counter attack. King Christian II (Known as Christian the tyrant in Sweden) was marching up from Skåne with 20000 professional German mercenaries.

Gustav summoned his war council. It wasn’t much of a council at all really. Just himself and his two generals Lars Eriksson and Berendt von Mehlen.
“I’m telling you an attack on the Danish forces is futile” von Mehlen said. “We need to wait for reinforcements from Finland.”

“Nonsense” Eriksson said. “The Danes may have us outnumbered but every day they leave their supply lines further behind”.”Christians Mercenaries will abandon him”.

“You´re a fool” von Mehlen shouted “all Christian needs is one decisive victory and your cause will be lost. The Norwegians are coming in from the west and we will be cut off from any reinforcements!”

In the end better judgment prevailed however and the Swedish army would remain in camp until reinforcements arrived.

The first real battle of the war would not come until the 23rd of June 1522. The Danish army was laying siege to Västerås, should it fall the Danish army will have secure supply lines all the way to Stockholm, Naturally this cannot be allowed. Gustav orders Lars Eriksson to take the Swedish main force of 11000 rag-tag infantry, 5000 Cavalry of varying quality and one regiment of artillery.

The Danish army consisted of about equal numbers; however the Danish forces were professional mercenaries, mostly German Landsknecht and Reiters. Against this formidable foe Lars positions his men along the end of a field. Most of his infantry are placed in a ditch providing a form of primitive trench. The Cavalry is divided equally over both wings.

The Danish army starts their advance across the field at 09:00. The Swedish artillery cut deep gashes in the thick formations of Landsknechts but the Danes are unrelenting. When the Danes are 30 meters from the Swedish “Trench line” Eriksson gives the command “FIRE!!!” Musket and crossbow alike went off all along the line.

At such a short range the effect is devastating. The Mercenaries under Otto Krumpen fall like wheat to the farmer’s scythe. Meanwhile the Danish cavalry is embroiled in a vicious slugfest with Eriksson’s cavalry. Cavalry casualties are heavy on both sides owing to them being relatively unprotected while the Swedish infantry was protected by the ditch. After being hit by the Swedish volley of arrows and shot the Danish mercenaries start to waver. Eriksson orders a general advance into melee. The Swedish infantry charge breaks through the Danish centre and they flee.

Eriksson orders a pursuit; if he can force the demoralized Danish army to give battle again he can gain a decisive blow.
The Danish forces retreat towards Dalarna where Gustav had begun his rebellion, naturally hey receive no friendly welcome from the locals. The Danes do however fight a very valiant rearguard action that allows their main force to retreat into friendlier Norway.

With this defeat the Danish forces are put out of commission for quite a while. Morale among the mercenaries is low as there is very little loot to be had in Norway and the Danish treasury is being drained quickly.

With both Danish and Norwegian forces defeated and pushed back Swedish forces now focus on recapturing Swedish provinces occupied by the Danes. Von Mehlen is given 3000 men and is ordered to take Kalmar. During his siege he is assaulted by a newly recruited Norwegian relief force. The Norwegians outnumber him more than 4 to 1.

Regardless von Mehlen decides to stand and fight. The Norwegian army is incompetently led and consists of mostly raw recruits. They blunder right into a Swedish ambush and despite rather few casualties the fresh recruits panic and flee.

Lars Eriksson now leads the Swedish main army south towards the small town of Lund in Skåne. There the Norwegian army is trying to recuperate. The Swedish army descends upon the Norwegian camp in the dead of night and after a very short battle they surrender En Masse. For Norway at least the war is over.

In Early 1524 Gustav Vasa receives word that the Danish army in Norway has recovered and is now marching towards Stockholm. Swiftly he orders lars Eriksson to march north and intercept the Danes. He is later told that the Danes have turned south and is instead planning an attack from Bohuslän into Småland to lift the siege of Kalmar.

On the 2nd of April 1524 the two armies meet in Västergötland. The Danish army is led by Christian II himself. As the two armies line up for battle Lars Eriksson makes a bold move, along with 20 men he circles the Danish army and in a daring cavalry raid he captures Christian. The last major Danish army is defeated without a single shot being fired.

The capture of King Christian marks the end of Danish attacks on Swedish soil. Despite this the cities of the southern provinces are still resisting. The last Danish stronghold in Skåne surrenders on September 19th 1525. Shortly thereafter the treaty of Kalmar is signed: the terms are as follows:

The Treaty of Kalmar
1. The Kingdom of Sweden will from now on be ruled by a hereditary monarchy with Gustav Vasa being the first king as approved by the “Riksdag”
2. Denmark will cede the province of Småland to Sweden
3. Denmark will sever all political ties with The Livonian Order and the Duchy of Mecklenburg
4. Denmark will release the County of Holstein as a sovereign state allied with The Kingdom of Sweden

With that the Swedish war of liberation is over and Gustav can finally return to Stockholm. He spends most of his time getting his newly free kingdom in order. Upon his arrival in Stockholm he is told that while he was on campaign His wife gave birth to a baby boy whom she named Johan. The Swedish succession is safe.

Sweden c. 1525

Gustav I Vasa (ADM: 9 MIL: 7 DIP: 7)

King of Sweden

Treasury: 241 Million Ducats
GDP: 444,6 Million Ducats

Army: 8000 Pike and Shot, 4 000 Cavalry
Reserves: 42,000
Navy: 3 Galleys, 3 Cogs
Discipline: 139%
Tradition: Land: 51, 20 Naval: 10, 90

Prestige: 54
Legitimacy: 100

Last edited:
WOOOHHOO, done one day ahead of scedule! As always, Advise, Praise, flame. Whatever I deserve.

Not to be that guy but Göteborg wasn't founded until 1621, it would probably have been Älvsborg or Lödöse at that time. Also does Bergslagen have a port in this mod? But good progress so far let's hope you can keep it up.

Looks great! Congrats on the freedom. Now to subjugate those haughty Teutonic Knights... or maybe the Russians :D

King Christian II plays a big part in my AAR as well, you'll see :)

Great AAR update! I always love your writing, and your descriptions were excellent.

Not to be that guy but Göteborg wasn't founded until 1621, it would probably have been Älvsborg or Lödöse at that time. Also does Bergslagen have a port in this mod? But good progress so far let's hope you can keep it up.

You are absolutley correct. I have no excuse for my lapse in historical knowledge. I Will Fix it asap. As making edits on a phone is hell

Looks great! Congrats on the freedom. Now to subjugate those haughty Teutonic Knights... or maybe the Russians :D

King Christian II plays a big part in my AAR as well, you'll see :)

Christian II was actually a huge Nonfactor in this war, he led one army and failed misserabley as he was captured before the actual battle began. After the war.. well you will see in the next update, cant give too much away now can I

Great AAR update! I always love your writing, and your descriptions were excellent.

Ahh, Thank you. Always glad to see someone enjoys it.

Chapter II

We are free!

In the months following the end of the rebellion sees the collapse of the remains of the Kalmar Union as Norway breaks free as well in a surprisingly unbloody revolution. Denmark does not have the strength or will too se any more soldiers die abroad.

With the Danish threat neutralized for the time being Sweden can finally breathe easy. Ever the following years an extensive road network will be built in Sweden to eventually span the entire Kingdom. Construction is slow however as money is certainly not in abundance.

Regardless of the economical situation progress is made and slowly but surely Sweden is becoming a regional power to be reckoned with. Certainly not on par with Spain or England, but certainly on par with any other Scandinavian Kingdom.

France has long been Western Europe’s most dominant military and political force but its latest war with the Austrian-Spanish Habsburg yielded disaster. Most of France has been brutally partitioned between various dukes and princes. After the peace with the Habsburg the Weakened France faces vultures in the form of Switzerland and England. France will certainly not be a great power anytime soon.

As the years drag on Gustav becomes somewhat dulled with the day to day running of his Kingdom, he decides to spice things up by taking several hunting trips into the wilderness of Finland. Naturally His now 21 year old son Johan goes with him. Father and son spend many days in the forests hunting pretty much anything that crosses their path. On day they have been tracking a wounded deer for about 2 hours. Johan turns to his father.

“See over there in the clearing” Gustav spots the deer. “Son, attempt to circle around it, if we approach it from two directions it is much less likely to flee” Johan obeys and as they are creeping up on the deer one of their many hunting companions enter the clearing.

The fellow hunter fails to spot the crown prince on the other side of the clearing and in his somewhat inebriated state he fires his musket hastily. The ball misses the deer and strikes Johan right in the heart, Death is instantaneous.

(Event: Hunting accident: Sorrow overtakes you)
Due to Gustav´s wife having passed away in 1535 he has now married Catherine von Zweibrücken, Daughter of the Count of Holstein who is a good friend of Gustav. Catherine is already pregnant and merely 3 months later she gives birth to a son. This wipes away much of Gustavs grief over losing his son. With renewed purpose Gustav arranges for his new son to get the best education possible. The Child is named Oskar and will be the crown prince of Sweden. As king he will be the first of the Zweibrücken Dynasty to sit on the throne of a Kingdom.

Gustav I Vasa (ADM: 9 MIL: 7 DIP: 7)

King of Sweden

Treasury: 201 Million Ducats
GDP: 474,6 Million Ducats

Army: 12000 Pike and Shot, 6 000 Cavalry, 1000 Gunners
Reserves: 48,000
Navy: 2 Galleons 3 Galleys, 3 Cogs
Discipline: 139%
Tradition: Land: 46, 20 Naval: 7, 90

Prestige: -7
Legitimacy: 100

Well now, the Vasas didn't last long!

Poor France is getting carved up, even at this late stage. So sad.

Well now, the Vasas didn't last long!

Poor France is getting carved up, even at this late stage. So sad.

I kinda feel sorry for france aswell, the Austria-Spain PU is at this point in the game the most OP entity in history of gaming.

Great so far. Hopefuly I will be able to say that this is the first EU3 AAR that I have followed that stayed alive.

Always happpy too see that pepole enjoy my work

Vasa didn't last long as a dynasty...
Oh well

They certanly didn´t, and now im stuck with some German family. Somewhat annoying.

I kinda feel sorry for france aswell, the Austria-Spain PU is at this point in the game the most OP entity in history of gaming.

I think that's what everyone said when Charles V took the throne. :p