• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Clever move taking out Turkey, will give you a fall back if Germany Invades!! Which could end up being fairly likely now that Italy is in the Axis!

That saw a lucky or clever step ;)

Clever, with a bit luck :D

Clever move taking out Turkey, will give you a fall back if Germany Invades!! Which could end up being fairly likely now that Italy is in the Axis!

Yep, that's why Turkey isn't important now, but can be very important later on. Only way to enter Turkey is to cross the Bosporus or the capture province of Canakkale (also natural defended by a strait).

You are certainly walking a dangerous line. I like it.

Its May '39, when was it that that Germans invaded Poland? ;)

Ye, it's dangerous, but.. without gambling Romania will never be a superpower!
Maybe I can get some provinces of Poland too. But then they don't be in the Allies and I have some troops available..

Dowing Italy could backfire. If they manage to get into the Axis, you'll have the Germans breathing down your neck. If you Dow Yugoslavia, they could easily grant transit rights to Italy and vice versa, which would mean that the ~30 Yugoslavian divisions would be reinforced by the Italians. Even if they don't allow military access, the second you annex the country, the Italians will roll into your newly conquered country.
Unless you have transit rights through either Germany or Yugoslavia, I don't see how this step will benefit you.

Unless you have transit rights through either Germany or Yugoslavia, I don't see how this step will benefit you.

With even a modest navy he can seize Rome without too much effort, or take Sicily as a step toward moving up the boot.

With even a modest navy he can seize Rome without too much effort, or take Sicily as a step toward moving up the boot.
Without another front to amuse the Italians, they'd rather soon roll down from the north and most likely defeat the Romanians. Sicily might be an option, though a gamey one. And don't forget that the Italian navy is a lot larger than the Romanian. Even if he can land forces in Italy, he'll have to invest a lot into convoys.

Without another front to amuse the Italians, they'd rather soon roll down from the north and most likely defeat the Romanians. Sicily might be an option, though a gamey one. And don't forget that the Italian navy is a lot larger than the Romanian. Even if he can land forces in Italy, he'll have to invest a lot into convoys.

My navy consist of a destroyer, three transport ships and a submarine (if that one isn't detroyed allready..)
It will be hard, but I didn't take this step to make things easy. It's a big gamble and I can be conquered pretty quickly.. Hopefully the Germans don't DoW me, because then this AAR would be over pretty soon..;)

Since Germany wasn't able to annex Czechoslovakia, doesn't that mean Germany wont get the event to war Poland?
Anyway, go for Yugoslavia. Even if they let Italy move in to help them, Italian divisions aren't worth anything in the hands of the AI, and you must easily out-tech them by now.

And so the flower that is Romania continues to blossom. Keep it up!

Since Germany wasn't able to annex Czechoslovakia, doesn't that mean Germany wont get the event to war Poland?
Anyway, go for Yugoslavia. Even if they let Italy move in to help them, Italian divisions aren't worth anything in the hands of the AI, and you must easily out-tech them by now.
Certainly, the AI isn't good, but the Italians start with better techs than the Romanians and it's not too far into the war yet. I'd expect the Italians to be able to hold their own in a 1:1 situation. Take into account that the Italians probably outnumber the Romanians and you get even more uncertainty.

Chapter 4: Naval power without a navy?

In the previous chapter we saw that Romania conquered the useful industrialized countries Czechoslovakia and Bulgaria. We also saw how the Romanians annexed Turkey, which is very important if we need to retreat against a possible German invasion.
Romania is now one of the biggest countries in Europe, potentially a major power, but technologically they are far weaker as the other major powers. Also they should be outnumbered easily if they got in a war with Germany or the Soviet Union. One major power isn’t really that strong: Italy. Romania declared war on them, just before they joined the Axis.

In the preperation of a new war, we build a lot of convoys, because we expect to lose many. Our navy ordered three destroyers and we also producing a armoured division.

The Supreme Command of the Romanian Army divided when they had to plan the next months. Some said the army should rest for a couple months, reinforce them and get some better weapons. Others think they should use the great morale in the army and choose a next target. Head of the State Carol II agrees with the people that want a new war. Carol II himself decided that Greece would be the next target!
The Supreme Command gave initially some resistance, because Romania will share a border with Italy (former Albania!). Carol II said that the Supreme Command should take out the Italians in Albania too. He ordered to start the war against the Greeks in June 1939.

GroteFoto-EJELVRJZ.jpg

Our production screen..

GroteFoto-WBQK64IQ.jpg

Romania DoW Greece

We invaded the province of Amfissa to prevent the Greeks can retreat to Athina. Soon the landed troops can attack the capital and take it without casualties.
The main force is pushing forward and soon they are in the outskirts of Salonica. The fight for Salonica itself isn’t that harsh and we can capture the second city of Greece also with minimum losses. In the meanwhile we ordered some divisions to march to the Albanian border.

GroteFoto-XYJK468C.jpg

Finally we can build a more serious navy, now we’ve got the knowledge to build a light cruiser.

GroteFoto-XS7ZSNYD.jpg

Invaded Amfissa and immediatly took Athina..

GroteFoto-RPMLK4ZW.jpg

A Greece counterattack against Athina didn't had any effect.. we won couple of other battles

GroteFoto-IJ6QC67T.jpg

Romania captures Salonica

GroteFoto-VXVZ7SRV.jpg

Troops moving to former Albanian border

GroteFoto-LHSOPJJB.jpg

Greece surrenders and got annexed

Our troops pushing forward in former Albania and meet first Italian resistance in Tirane. The First battle of Tirane we win pretty easy, but before we could take Tirane totally, the Italians bring some reinforcements and we can’t push forward. The Italians take the province south of Tirane, but the our reinforcement arrived just on time. We won the Second battle of Tirane after a pretty harsh struggle (we lost over 1600 men), but it’s worth it. The Italian main force that was stationed in Albania is pinned down between the Yugoslavian border and our troops. They don’t have a port and Yugoslavia doesn’t grant them military acces, so they can’t escape anymore. We still have to be careful for a breakout, but soon after we took Tirane, we capture around 60.000 Italians at Rreshen.

GroteFoto-MX3AVZFG.jpg

First battle for Tirane..

GroteFoto-TPVMK7SA.jpg

ends succefully, but the Italians bring up some reinforcements..

GroteFoto-ZBTGNN6A.jpg

but we win the Second battle for Tirane..

GroteFoto-APKGGEW3.jpg

and capture around 60.000 Italians at Rreshen

GroteFoto-N8OW8UPI.jpg

Romania as the legal owner of Albania!

Romania now controls Albania, Greece and Turkey, which are all countries that are useful for future expeditions overseas. The problem is that we are strategically a naval power, but we don't have a serious navy at the moment. We are working on that, but not too much. The focus is still on the land forces. More important is that we cleared the area from Italian troops. We have now a natural barrier (sea) and Yugoslavia as a neutral buffer between us.

Some notes:
  • IC was 100 and is 121
  • We gain a lot of resources
  • We have 17 manpower left
  • We gain around 13,3 manpower a month now
  • Officer ratio is 113% (was 105%)
  • Our National Unity is decreasing, while the Italians sink a lot of convoys..

Next chapter: coming up!
In the next chapter we see how Romania handles with the Italians. Romania’s navy isn’t very useful, while the Italians have a decent one. We can build some light cruisers now and that's what we are doing. Would Yugoslavia be the next target? And does that results in a big clash between the Romanian and Italian landforces? Or does the Supreme Command of the Romanian Army have some other strategy in mind?

Last edited:
In the previous chapter we saw that Romania conquered the useful industrialized countries Czechoslovakia and Bulgaria. We also saw how the Romanians annexed Turkey, which is very important if we need to retreat against a possible German invasion...

...In the next chapter we see how Romania handles with the Italians. Romania’s navy isn’t very useful, while the Italians have a decent one. We can build some light cruisers now and that's what we are doing. Would Yugoslavia be the next target? And does that results in a big clash between the Romanian and Italian landforces? Or does the Supreme Command of the Romanian Army have some other strategy in mind?

Is this game `Semper Fi` or `For the Motherland`? If the latter, then you can't pull out of Romania or you'll lose.

If you can get licenses, I would do that for the Light Cruisers rather than build terrible ones you can't upgrade. If you really want to have Romanian ones, then it might be better to at least work on just one via license to start getting practicals while you increase your own techs.

Is this game `Semper Fi` or `For the Motherland`? If the latter, then you can't pull out of Romania or you'll lose.

If you can get licenses, I would do that for the Light Cruisers rather than build terrible ones you can't upgrade. If you really want to have Romanian ones, then it might be better to at least work on just one via license to start getting practicals while you increase your own techs.

Ah, I'm playing FTM, so I can't retreat anymore to Turkey without losing?

No licenses.. they are all afraid for Romania I guess. Just need couple light cruisers to 'protect' my transport ships if we get out of the range for destroyers. They don't cost that much manpower, so if i build 2/3 of them it would be ok for now.

Last edited:
Ah, I'm playing FTM, so I can't retreat anymore to Turkey without losing?

Yep. In FtM, only VPs in core provinces count towards surrender progress. Games like mnplastic's where he abandons Luxembourg to set up shop in Australia are no longer possible.

Yep. In FtM, only VPs in core provinces count towards surrender progress. Games like mnplastic's where he abandons Luxembourg to set up shop in Australia are no longer possible.

Aight good to know. Hopefully Germany doesn't join the war against me.. :eek:hmy:

Chapter 5: Rise of the Romanian Kingdom?

In the previous chapter we saw how Romania crushed Greece and expel the Italians out Albania. The Supreme Command said we have to prepare us for the next step: Italy.
The Italian Navy (named Regia Marina) is a superior force compared to our own navy. You can’t talk about a real navy actually, because it only got a few destroyers, a submarine and some transport ships.
Anyway, we need to pass the Italian Navy some way. We have to keep the transport route as short as possible. The shortest way is a frontal attack on the southern part of the boot. Problem is we can’t retreat to a good defensible position and our troops we will be ultra-outnumbered by the Italian Army.

The only good option that is left is Sicily. The way from Tirane to Sicily is pretty long and, above all, dangerous. We decide to make a ‘stop’ in North Africa first: Benghazi. We don’t want to fight in Norht Africa now, because it could be useful if the United Kingdom and France join the war. The Italians have some divisions there and all division in North Africa don’t fight against us in Italy!
We hope the Allies join the war soon, so the Royal Navy can deal with the Regia Marina.

GroteFoto-UVQGRGZP.jpg

Our jump to Benghazi..

GroteFoto-YZYHCWXD.jpg

and from Benghazi to Sicily..

GroteFoto-FSBWSMLL.jpg

Germany and Poland are in war..

GroteFoto-AI6FEGN4.jpg

As Poland isn't in the Allies, we join the Germans..

GroteFoto-XSZSTNYD.jpg

and got some provinces from Poland

We jump from Benghazi to Sicily and land in Catania. Immediately we send some troops to Cefalu and then we attack Messina, the main goal for the initial part of the Battle for Sicily.
We capture Messina pretty fast and that’s good news. We keep some divisions in that area, so the Italians aren’t able to bring in some reinforcements. In the meanwhile we keep suffering heavy convoy losses, but the brave Romanian people keep building and command convoy ships.

Just after our landings Germany declared war on Poland. The Poles are not in the Allies, so they don’t get any support, neither do we in the Mediterranean Sea. Because Poland is not in the Allies and we still got some troops out there, we decide to declare war on them and see if we can get some useful areas, but we don’t. Nevermind, we expand the borders with four provinces, so we don’t complain.

GroteFoto-A3S6QGLA.jpg

Italians try to take Messina..

GroteFoto-SRB7SOEA.jpg

but in the meanwhile we conquer the other part of Sicily

The Italian Army does several attacks on Messina, but we can hold pretty easy. We brought in some extra divisions to clear Sicily. We conquer Sicily pretty fast, because we use better tactics and our morale is way better then those nasty Italians!

GroteFoto-7RFOKGQQ.jpg

Big Italian counteroffensive in Greece..

GroteFoto-ESGHKIBT.jpg

Some big battles follow..

GroteFoto-OMQLM7JU.jpg

After we cut off their supply lines, we could beat them.

A bit surprising Italy launched a great counter offensive against us on 12 October 1939. They invade the Peloponessus with seven divisions. We are lucky we just ordered some troops to get to that area, in order to prepare for next steps against Italy. We have less divisions, but a better position, so we have to hold at least Athina. We order all our available troops to join the fight and after a month we are still fighting. The Italians bring in a entire army, so it is a great opportunity to destroy a significant part of their land forces. On the other hand, we have to be careful. If they break out, we have a serious problem and have to retreat from Sicily…

There are some hard battles going on and some provinces switch every day from owner… but.. we are able to get the ports back in our hands and destroy the Italians with over 70.000 soldiers in Meligalas.

GroteFoto-RAH8VWQT.jpg

First Italian convoy is sunk by the Romanians!

GroteFoto-GSI7NM78.jpg

Unfortunately we lost our submarine..

GroteFoto-3TW6SFEN.jpg

Romanian Empire expanded with Sicily!

GroteFoto-XOCZ6NRK.jpg

Elections 1940 and the result

We manage to sink the first convoy, but soon our mighty (hehe) submarine sunk itself.
On the end of the year we have Sicily in our hands and got enough divisions out there to keep the Italians away from the island.
On 1 January we get a new cabinet. We are still democratic, but the fascist and communist have won together also 30% of the people.

GroteFoto-BGQQHBCK.jpg

The Romanian Empire at the start of 1940!

I can set the almost the same notes as in the last chapter. Things didn't change that much now.

Next chapter: coming up!
In the next chapter we see how Romania is dealing with the Italians. Romania’s navy isn’t very useful, while the Italians have a decent one. The Battle for Italy will be fought on the land, but the sea is an important part too. Besides that, Italy has a supremacy in the air, so things will be hard for the Romanians. Does Italy force Romania back to the Balkans or can't they hold their own country against the Romanian Army? We will see in the next chapter..

Last edited: