• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well keep in mind that a medium weapon should be stronger than a lighter weapon and instead it has less range and equal damage to a b asic laser which is not realistic.
It's never been that simple. For instance pulsed phasers in SotS 1 were significantly lower damage than a regular phaser no matter which mount size you put them in. They did however have the fastest firing rate in the game, so despite low damage the DPS was pretty high.

Also worth noting that the advantage of the phaser wasn't the damage, it's that it gives you a beam weapon you can fit into a medium mount rather than needing a large mount. Also IIRC it should behave like a beam weapon too, so that damage profile is actually applied multiple times depending on how long the beam is in contact with the target. You'd need to actually use it in combat to check - should be able to tell by the armour degradation after a hit.

No I mean a weapon designed as a light weapon can't be placed on a medium mount and suddenly be stronger, it might have more rate of fire or range but that's about it.

A heavy gun will be stronger than a medium gun, always. That's just how it works.

A phaser was medium IT SHOULD be stronger than a laser.

I guess the DEVs are working 'round the clock to fix as many things as possible from the list... it's quite an impressive list indeed. Might take weeks if not months to fix it all... :(

I guess the DEVs are working 'round the clock to fix as many things as possible from the list... it's quite an impressive list indeed. Might take weeks if not months to fix it all... :(

The developers SHOULD be focusing on the crashes and in-house testing ONLY of things that have yet to be re-enabled or implemented so that we don't get crashes when they are implemented. They need to hire out a testing team, using us is just wrong.

They only need to hire the QA manager, why paying for free support from the community after all, but that figure is essential to coordinate everyone's efforts.

It is a shame that Kerberos outright refused to do a known issues list because it would hurt Mecron's feelings. Having a list that the devs could confirm features were not in the game is certainly appropriate considering the state of the "game" at this point.

You're talking about using the explosive energy of the bomb and somehow converting it as power for the beam? Wouldn't the bomb be a better thing to use then?

The convesion process is extremely simple. Conventional high energy lasers are complex because you need to bounce the beam back and forth through the lasing rod thousands or millions of times to build up the power a tiny bit at a time. In a bomb pumped laser all the energy that's converted is done as the EM wavefront passes through the rod once because the energy is sufficiently high that the other 99.9... percent that doesn't trigger lasing blows the rod apart. While only being a single pass through the rod means the beam will divirge faster, it's still does so far slower than the 1/r^2 falloff of the bomb. In vacum even missing by a few dozen meters and you're only getting a small fraction of the power transfered to the target; a few hundred and you might as well not have botherered at all. The bomb pumped beam is good for a standoff range of dozens to thousands of km; and since it doesn't need to be designed to function for more than a single use can handle much higher energy levels than anything inside a ship.

The convesion process is extremely simple. Conventional high energy lasers are complex because you need to bounce the beam back and forth through the lasing rod thousands or millions of times to build up the power a tiny bit at a time. In a bomb pumped laser all the energy that's converted is done as the EM wavefront passes through the rod once because the energy is sufficiently high that the other 99.9... percent that doesn't trigger lasing blows the rod apart. While only being a single pass through the rod means the beam will divirge faster, it's still does so far slower than the 1/r^2 falloff of the bomb. In vacum even missing by a few dozen meters and you're only getting a small fraction of the power transfered to the target; a few hundred and you might as well not have botherered at all. The bomb pumped beam is good for a standoff range of dozens to thousands of km; and since it doesn't need to be designed to function for more than a single use can handle much higher energy levels than anything inside a ship.

Versus a railgun that just needs to accelerate a projectile?

Well at least they dont close this Topic, and we got a list of our own, i think we got around 90% covered atm, and it gives as a good overview of how to play at the moment, and new people a overview what they shouldnt try in there first game because the tech dont work or so....

I can understand the Devolopers when they dont wanna make a list, honestly it can be depressing, but i would see it positive, each point that are fixed make it smaller and smaller and gives a feeling of pride and joy. You can always see it so or so.

Btw. Delsana, i think the Auxiliry Fission and Fusion reactor is meant for increase of energy and there is the capacitor research too (that doesnt quit work well at the moment) but i am sure this two auxiliry systems was intentioned to work this way to give you extra energy.

Last edited:
With the list such as it is, it's hardly any wonder that I haven't been able to enjoy SotS 2 so far. I agree with the above, though, it is good to have all this information in one place. Looking forward to seeing the list shrink as the patches roll out.

Versus a railgun that just needs to accelerate a projectile?

Which only work if the target is in range, in line of sight, and doesn't dodge. Missiles/torpedos outrange (almost?) all direct fire weapons; and being manuvering projectiles they're able to engage even if launched from platforms on the wrong side of the planet. The problem they have is trying to penetrate a solid point defense screen becomes much easier said than done past the early parts of SOTS1 (2 is still to buggy/incomplete to judge); giving them a standoff range greatly increases their ability to get through and hit a well defended target.

OTOH things like syncronizing multiple luanches for a time on target attack (first done on the battlefield by the Finns in 1939); would greatly increase the likelyhood of getting a missle through point defense but appear to have been forgotten over the intervening centuries.

Well i know one thing for fact, atm i try intensivly the hivers. One point is, they can spread amazingly quick, and the Cast as Farcast system works, a little bit to good, you got virtualy no miss-jump when your ship use FarCast system, or Cast system. Thats the first thing.

The seond thing is, there big Motterships arnt that good with Weapons, but there Battleriders....holy cow.... the Patrol Destroyer Battlerider of the Hiver got 6 Medium Hardpoints...6!!!! and another 4 or 6 small Hardpoints. Thats really like i imagine a insectoid race. Big bulky not so brutal Moterships and really brutal and heavly armed smaller swarmlike Ships! xD

Railguns has really a advantage in SotS2 , no question. They shoot quicker, they got constant damage, but there big problem in SotS2 is, you dont need to bother to fit many of them if you dont have a command section that supports a Targeting System to increase accuracy. Otherwise 50% of your shots will always miss the target :p

And even there Siegedriver has a function intigrated. It seems, that all weapons that dont implemented at the moment, got not NO function at all, only a part of them. Human Minelayers got no weaponslots, Hiver Minelayer got slots....so it is with Siegedriver. The Hiver Siegedriver got a slot for a weapon, actually it is armed with a Cutting-Beam and cannot be rearmed with somethin else. The Human COL launcher on the Dreadnought class has also Cutting Beams instead of COL projectiles. Little bit funny ;) But that shows that the system are far more intigrated as anticipated. They seem just in some sort of final stage, beta-test stage maybe and are simply not up to date, so i have the hope ups that they will quicker intigrate missing things then maybe anticipated.

And about laser, i think they will not excatly work the way like we maybe think it, because ships has allready standart pulse-laser, firing laser pulses, without to create a beam. But a Laser that shoots down missile or projectiles as a PD weapon is even today no more science-fiction. It has some energy need, thats for sure, but the Ships are equiqed with Fusion and Anti-matter reactors, plenty of mutch energy, mostly unlimited in a matter of speaking, at least for a Hour long battle.

Railguns have infinite range, they keep going until they hit something... be that a planet 200 years from their location or a civilian party goer 15 hours away.

Also, kinetic hyper acceleration is EXTREMELY fast, when you shoot it, it's going to hit that target before they have a chance to make many manuevers unless they see it coming, but those weapons are more long range weapons.

Mass Effect did a good job of discerning the physics for their mass accelerators.

Railguns have infinite range, they keep going until they hit something... be that a planet 200 years from their location or a civilian party goer 15 hours away.

Also, kinetic hyper acceleration is EXTREMELY fast, when you shoot it, it's going to hit that target before they have a chance to make many manuevers unless they see it coming, but those weapons are more long range weapons.

Mass Effect did a good job of discerning the physics for their mass accelerators.

the energy required to accelerate matter to the speed of light is significant so its unlikely your railgun would be firing at .999C (99.9% speed of light) , also space is big, very big so missing by one second (1/360 of a degree) will mean a miss by a mile (literally) in surveying being out by a second over a couple of kilometers means you can miss by up to a meter.

in space a couple of kilometers is knife fighting range so it would be really easy to miss an evading target at the range real space battles would likely take place at.(without auto trackers at least)

I have noticed that the Grav ships turrets don't seem to be working as intended. I can get one to fire forward and one to fire backwards. Of course without firing arc to compare to maybe I am missing something. The other turrets don't seem to fire at all.

Also the Hiver Assault section has the place for a single torpedo but doesn't allow you to equip it or fire it in combat.

Last edited:
Despite FTL, I can't seem to find a way to build the freighters.
On the star map there's no Trade routes and no Trade filter. In other words, I have no idea of how trade works in SOTS2.

Again, I think this game changed so much from SOTS that it's perfectly legit to think these changes are the reasons why SOTS2 was incomplete at its release. Worthy purchase and worthy wait. I just wish the DEVs knew they can count on many of us (I have over 20yrs beta experience) to accelerate the process of bug squashing. That would help a lot and it's also fun, not to mention it justifies the "early" purchase.

Playing the game right now is futile. Playing it knowing you are helping development is something else, and of extreme importance imo.

I can understand the Devolopers when they dont wanna make a list, honestly it can be depressing, but i would see it positive, each point that are fixed make it smaller and smaller and gives a feeling of pride and joy. You can always see it so or so.

That is exactly what I meant to make it sticky. Devs/moderators or Ferigad can change a state to "works now" and then we all much easier to keep track :confused: .... or perhaps it just me which thinks it's a good idea to sticky it ;)