• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Serenissima

Major
146 Badges
Aug 14, 2009
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • For the Motherland
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
Is there any way to force the AI to activate another 'switch'?

In my current UK game - aforementioned - I successfully foiled the German invasion of Norway in 1940 by rushing up three divisions and then permanently closing off the Kattegat with the Home Fleet. Italy was crushed in Africa in a few months, France fell by October 1940. Greece was quickly conquered, but my veterans from North Africa recaptured it quickly enough, liberated it and forced Bulgaria out of the war. Since then, Japan has done Pearl Harbour (on July 28, 1941) and brought the US into the war - and as I had wiped out most of the Italian military in Africa and Greece, they collapsed by November 1941, switching sides after the US invasion in October. As of December 1941, Italy is entirely under the control of the Allied-aligned government, with the ISR's five divisions having been quickly crushed. It may also be worth noting that the Spanish Civil War has been a frozen stalemate since 1937, and is ongoing - the Nationalists control the coast and borders, and the Republicans control the interior.

The problem here is that the German AI is focusing on two things only - one by visual observation (using nofog to see what the hell was happening and why Germany was being so passive), and the other by seeing the 'GER AI' notes in the game log:

A) About half of German military is sitting on the occupied coast of France, doing nothing. Coastal garrisoning is sensible, but they're barely fighting in the Balkans or defending their own southern and eastern borders. If the Soviets attacked now, they would reach Berlin before the Germans had finished redeploying, as I don't foresee the huge Soviet army in the game having trouble with the single-division border defences the Germans have there.

B) They are absolutely obsessed with invading Norway. The AI notes "AI GER: Norway Invasion" and "AI GER: End Norway Invasion" appear every week or so, in immediate succession - they intend to invade Norway and then cancel it instantly afterwards. They have around ten units of tactical bombers pounding my small Norwegian garrisons, and are sending lone transports full of soldiers to amphibious-assault Norway frequently... only to have them sunk by the Home Fleet every single time. I'm fairly sure Germany must be putting a hell of a lot of effort into building these lines of transport and infantry units to invade Norway, only to have them all swallowed up by the Royal Navy.

I've even given the Germans a large army and an IC boost to encourage them to feel confident in attacking the Soviets - or anyone, in fact - but as it stands, all they want to do is take over Norway, which will be impossible for as long as my fleet and garrison is present, and probably unlikely even without them (the Norwegian military is now several fairly good divisions, and navy decently able to fend off the lone transports by itself). I know that I could load a save as Germany or the Soviets and declare war, but I'd rather see Germany last longer than a month before total defeat by the Soviets - as any war-declaration by either side now would be an immediate disaster for Germany.

Consequently, is there any way to manually activate an AI 'switch', such as the German switch to prepare for and then execute the Barbarossa plan? I fear that it is so hung-up on invading Norway that it'll do nothing else until it controls it.

Last edited:
What's the CORE version you are using ?
Please compress a recent savegame with Winzip/Winrar/etc and upload it to a filehoster of your choice. I'll need the savegame to replicate your problem and to find a fix. Oviously you foiled the AI scripting badly and it's in a loophole it can't break-out.

I'm using the 0.50 stable release.

I managed to get around it in the end by loading as the Soviets and declaring on Germany to see what would happen (Germany didn't lose as badly as I thought, as the Russians didn't bother attacking for months). Sweden joined the Axis, too... with no intervention from me.

I suppose, in general, getting the AI stuck in loops is something to watch out for in the future: tightly-scripting to historical events can go badly off the rails when the historical event (fall of Norway) doesn't occur as expected. Do you still want an old save, if I find one during this 'era'?

A save would still be nice, I need to identify the cause of the loop. During testing we never really had this odd war situation you described.

Do you have any comment on the ITA surrender events? Was RSI too easy to crush or wasn't it created due to some north italian provinces under allied control ?

RSI started with only five divisions, so they fell pretty much instantly, before the Germans could even get reinforcements to them, leading to a stalemate where all of Italy is under Allied control, but the border with Austria in the mountains is impassable due to German defences there. It was created when the United States' AI conquered the entirety of Italy south of Rome after landing there (it was almost entirely undefended, from what I could see).

I'll see if I've got a save from this era when it was still happening - it's a busy month for me now, so my game-playing is at a bit of a hiatus.