• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Paradox has always worked very close with modders and I'v gotten a lot of help on For the Motherland from many of the betas that have gone above and beyond duty to make this a great project. In fact todays dev diary is written by Devildread (of I.C.E. fame) who is one of our betas, I hope you will enjoy it!
-- Podcat

Hi everyone and welcome to a new Dev Diary! This one will focus on something you spend most of your time on when playing Hearts of Iron III: namely, the world map.
Everyone noticed that the first version of HOI3 had a rather gameplay specific map, not really geographically correct but efficient about what it was designed for: grand strategy and multiple provinces tactics. This time now ends because you will play in the incoming For The Motherland expansion on an updated world map, with better accuracy and some nice features I am convinced you will love as much as we do.

Let's discover some part of it. Ladies and gentlemen: the new refined map!

(don't be afraid, you can click)

As a result of a cooperation between Paradox artist Aerie, the preliminary work from the Map Patch Project (from Van Diemen and Frank+Frei, helped by several contributors) and the re-work/merging process by me (Devildread), we are proud to introduce some of the new features you will be able to play with.

GENERAL REDESIGN

Rivers everywhere!!
Capital relocation (Paris-Berlin-Warsaw are one province south from vanilla), Bruxelles is no longer on the French border.
Relocation/renaming of hundreds of provinces in order to better match reality and new rivers paths.
Poland-Lithuania border historically redrawn (then Lithuania gain back its land after the fall of Poland)
Modders, everything is transparent! This is not like I.C.E. where you had to change all the province IDs history, rework the OOB and such. Paris moved but Paris ID didn't change.

Along with that, a lot of terrain have been reworked to better match geography. More urban, more marshes, more difficult terrain and defense spot. HOI3 map required you to think about what you are doing when you launch an attack. This new map will actually make you plan ahead. What about those engineers you never really used? Let's bridge some rivers guys!
Everyone knows about the bocage and how it was difficult to attack a position on this terrain. Now Normandy features 3 hills-terrain provinces, abstractly representing bocage and giving severe penalties to any attacker. Plan your attack and prepare your defense with the same environnement the leader of WWII had to deal with.

COASTLINES

As you can see in the world map linked above, a lot of coastlines have been reworked (if you don't believe me, you can compare with vanilla Semper Fi) so you can expect more realistic feeling from the map in some places such as Norway, USA, China or Japan.

Check all those lakes in Finland and Sweden. What about some Finland bottleneck defense in Winter War?

INLAND PORTS

Nothing much to say, how cool is that?

inlandports.png

KIEL KANAL

You read me. Kiel Kanal is in the game now! Only crossable by the controller of Kiel and its allies. Bring some U-Boots and wreak havoc in the Atlantic while retreating your navy in the Baltic!

kielkanal.png

Check Hamburg inland port by the way.

ACTUAL SEPARATION OF EUROPE AND ASIA IN TURKEY

No more crossing the boshporus under ennemy fire without any penalty. Now this is real, you have a strait to cross and everyone knows how straits are hard to cross (and easy to defend).

istambul.png

And many more changes that I can't list here. You will see that in due time.

We hope this FTM feature will please you as much as we had fun making it and think about all the possibilities it brings on the table.

--Devildread

Thanks to Derkb for hosting the pictures

*post-Stalin speech applause*

No USA work? You suck guys! This game is broken. :D

(I want to say that we had limited time and resources and this is why there is no USA rework (yet?))

It would be nice if Alaska got it's panhandle back one of these days but I think we'll survive.

Actually it was partly done but we didn't have time to fully integrate it before the release. I can't promise anything tho but there is hope for a patch or a mod. :)

Lookin' amazing!

You say that the Kiel canal can be used only by the holder of Kiel - do you need to hold Heide also to use it? Which leads on to the question, could the same thing be done with other waterways (need to control 2+ provinces to use)?

Edit: also, no loughs in Ireland? The lakes there gat fairly significant - Lough Neagh, in particular.

Lookin' amazing!

You say that the Kiel canal can be used only by the holder of Kiel - do you need to hold Heide also to use it? Which leads on to the question, could the same thing be done with other waterways (need to control 2+ provinces to use)?

Edit: also, no loughs in Ireland? The lakes there gat fairly significant - Lough Neagh, in particular.

Only one province, Kiel, is involved (as with any other canal).

I only added stuff from people asking for it in the beta process (+ some of my own). Nobody asked about Ireland, sorry. I had a lot of stuff for Sweden as you might guess. ^^

Out of curiousity, did they ever fix that bug where fleets got stuck in channels (gibraltar, copenhagen, suez, etc) when the channel owner changed hands?

Out of curiousity, did they ever fix that bug where fleets got stuck in channels (gibraltar, copenhagen, suez, etc) when the channel owner changed hands?

It was reported only for Gibraltar so it is fixed for it. Cannot reproduce it for the other channels but I will look into any report for a patch. :)