• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What are your war goals at this point, again? Your war has been going on so long I've forgotten :)

Compelling stuff, all the same!

What are your war goals at this point, again? Your war has been going on so long I've forgotten :)

Compelling stuff, all the same!

At the moment, just to liberate Danish Schlesweig-Holstein.

I'm not going to add war goals when I'm not even sure if I can achieve the one I've got.
If the Prussian army falls to peices and it becomes simply a matter of marching to Berlin, I thought of adding one of Prussia's satellite states to my SoI.

Would save on infamy and still gain ground on the Continent in a sense.

TheWorldin1841.jpg

When I left you we were having yet another battle in Konigsberg.

On October 12 we have to chase 2300 Prussians who are running off into Poland, The battle of Cottbus is also looking bad for the Austrians.
BattleofCottbusII.jpg

Unfortunate but we persevere, the Konigsberg troops are also doing badly, it may be time to retreat them from Konigsberg, as some brigades are completely depleted.
KonigsbergOctober19.jpg

GumbinnenOccupied.jpg

We occupy Gumbinnen, and shortly after we are forced into a retreat from Konigsberg, our troops too weary to fight on, and these are Russians we must remember!
LossinKonigsberg.jpg

The Guards Cavalry and Army Corps of the Guard are pulled back into Russia after occupying Gumbinnen, they need to heal and after liberating Gumbinnen there is little more they can offer while in the state they are in.

With the entire invasion force regrouping in Siauliai, the Tsar makes a strategic decision to enforce conscription, pulling the common people together to fight for the nation.

The Battle of Cottbus has ended, the Austrians and Prussians are now fighting a new battle over Kustrin.
Austro-PrussianBattleofKustrin.jpg

The “Battles” for this war cost us -5 Warscore, this is likely due to the Prussians crushing of the Cossacks and the 1st Line Corps, as well as Battles with the South Germans in the West.
As we make our retreat into Russia, the Swedes are moving through Russia while the Austrians are heading up from the South into Prussia Proper.

The Swedish engage the Prussian units in Konigsberg, while the Austrians attack Prussian units in Allenstien.
SwedesandAustriansbattleinPrussia.jpg

The Austrians have 6772 troops to the Prussian’s 2676.
The Swedish have about 9000 troops to the Prussians 11500, but a slight morale bonus.

In Kassel, the capital of Hesse-Kassel, Bavarians attack the Hesse-Kassel troops with 8000 men against 8000 Hesse-Kassel troops.

The Prussians are defeated in Kustrin by the Austrian armies.
We are moving through South Prussia with the Serbians, liberating Prussian provinces under the protection of the bigger Austrian armies in the region.

The Swedish are defeated in Konigsberg, turning back and fleeing into Russia.
The troops defeated by the Austrians in Allenstein rally and go to Konigsberg to join the re-occupation.

After the Swedish defeat a Lübecken Brigade of 3000 men in Suwalki, I check to notice that we have reduced the Warscore modifier from -5 to -3 for battles lost, a sure success for a couple of months.

As Austrian and Slavic troops occupy all the German areas east of Berlin, and Russo-Swedish forces have a foothold in Prussia Proper, the Würtembourgise attempt an assault on Berlin.
WurtemburgvsPrussiaBattleofBerlin.jpg

It seems the Prussians have two main armies left, the one sieging Konigsberg and the one battle the Wurtembourgeoise in Berlin.

Our Conscript units are almost fully trained, some are moved westwards in anticipation toward the Prussian border.
As this happens...the Cowardly Austrians decide to make peace with the Prussians!

Abandoning their allies like shameless Turks, the Austrians have buggered off and left us on the eve of sure victory!

The Bavarians, sure enough, follow suit with their cowardly South German comrades and turns tail to flee the Prussians.

Let them run! Soon will come the dawn when they too face the wrath of the Russian Empire!

Our Warscore moves from 14 to 11 to represent the territories the bloody traitors handed back to the Prussians.

With the Austrians gone, the Prussians have nothing stopping a move from Berlin to attack the Russo-Serbian units in Gniezno.
The Russians units are killed and the Serbians scatter before the 2nd Line Corps can be brought in to reinforce them.

The 1st Line Corps and the 1st Peoples Army (Conscripts) move toward Konigsberg in Febuary 1842.
MovingtostopPrussiantakeoverofKonigsberg1842.jpg

Saxony too now joins the betrayal, were just waiting for Württemberg now, only a matter of time.

Russian troops clamber across bridges, artillery shot firing down from the old German buildings on the hill, throwing water up as they strike into the river.
Conscripts pull themselves up the hill, their officers shouting them up, sons of farmers, blacksmiths, fishermen, lumbermen, handed a musket and forced through fasttracked training and marched to war.

The veterans volley fire into the Prussians, who fall forward, slumping dead over their positions, some falling down the hill.
Eventually the conscripts scramble to the top, the area is a frenzy of bayonets and Prussian cutlass’s until the Prussians retreat, the Glorious Russian soldiers bringing them down as they run to safety from the might of the Rus!

Over the next 2 months or so, the Prussians and Russians fight it out in the Königsberg region, until finally the Prussians retreat, the siege is lifted!

RetreatfromKonigsberg1842.jpg

Over the next few weeks and months, the Conscript armies and the forces of the Swedes are moved West and into Prussia.
The Prussian army retreating from Konigsberg is brought down in Gumbinnen by Russo-Swedish combined forces.
Russo-SwedishvictoryatGumbinnen.jpg

Conscripts and Swedish move in and begin taking parts all over Prussia, Palanga is liberated, and Russian units are sieging as far as Danzig and Bromberg.

LiberationofPalanga.jpg

Breslauoccupied.jpg

We also got Montenegro to Friendly, and Japan is getting closer toward our sphere now too.

I was worried when Austria left we might be buggered considering I was counting on them to provide a large front with the Russian armies being in tatters, but it seems I underestimated the power of conscription.

Also, any advice on what to do with my research? I’ve done ideological thought and now stock exchange.

If you're going to try to fix Russia's abysmal literacy, you want to race to Biologism (and Darwinism) as fast as you can. You could also work on tactics, or just about any army tactic.

Awesome AAR so far :) Like the near play-by-play storytelling.

Also, yes, I'd research medicine.

We have a bunch of troops from Allenstein to Bromberg to Danzig, with Swedes also aiding in the East and in Elbing.
A 6648 man force is in Cottbus, in the centre of the Kaiser’s Empire, trying to force the populace there to submit to Mother Russia.

The force in Cottbus is being buzzed around by a Anhalt and a Kassel army, with Latter is bigger than our own force in Cuttbus.

LandingstroopsinSchlesweig.jpg

A few transport units depart from the Baltic fleet carry two brigades into the Skaggerrak and drop them off in Aabenraa, Schleswig

BattleofBrombergPhase1.jpg

A large Prussian force (The 3rd Army) attacks our Russians in Bromberg.
A Polish unit is sent to aid them, at the same time the Kassel army attacks our Russians in Cottbus, a unit of Opolcheniye (conscripts) is sent from Prussia Proper, but as the Prussian force fighting our Russians in Bromberg begins to gain momentum we are forced to redirect it to that battle.

BattlesinCottbusBromberg.jpg

A day before the Opolcheniye arrive, the force in Bromberg retreats.
The Opolcheniye is move to Torun in case the Prussians follow up there.

Potatoblight-VelikiyeLuki.jpg

A potato blight has broken out in Velikiye Luki, while the “Let them eat cake” option made me laugh, and had decent effects, I couldn’t very well choose it lol.
I may be in the position of a Semi-Divine Imperial Autocrat, but I’m not a dick :rofl:.

The Prussian 3rd Army continues Eastward, moving into Torun.
The forces in Torun, including the newly arrived 2nd Opolcheniye, provide an equal force to the Prussian units.

The unit in Cottbus has been struggling to break out and make a retreat, after the 8 days we move them South and from there, off toward Russian Poland.

VictoryTorun.jpg

The 10th Peoples Army is sent from Poland toward Torun, the Prussians retreat from the battle before they get there, so the 10th Peoples gives chase.

In Tuchel, our force is easily defeated by the Prussians.
BattleofTuchelreport.jpg

Even with the slight numbers bonus, how did they defeat our force so easily? Perhaps we should spend more time looking up ways to support our military, too many men have died to the Prussians armies due to our technological inefficiency

Our navy in the Baltic engages a Prussian frigate in the Southern Baltic, while on the land the Prussians follow up their victory at Tuchel by assaulting the 10th Peoples in Bromberg as it retreats.
We send two units to pincer around Bromberg, we must defeat this Prussian army! It is the only thing stopping us from defeating Prussia and its survival could be the decider in who wins the war.
MovingPincerinBromberg.jpg

A second Prussian frigate enters the Southern Baltic, both are sunk.

The Prussians win at Bromberg, I stop the armies pincering, and prepare for a much larger attack consisting of more armies, to compensate for the Prussian technology bonus.
We will destroy the Prussians at this battle!

Many of our troops congregate in Elbing to defend against the Prussians that are heading there, the Prussians notice and move off to assault Danzig instead.
We let them in, then once they have engaged to force seiging the city we swarm them with 4-5 Russian armies in Danzig.

DanzigcampaignP1.jpg

The Prussians are overwhelmed and forced to retreat.

AmbushatDanzigreport.jpg

Leaving the unit that was seiging the city to continue its efforts in Danzig, the rest of the force gives chase, we cannot let the Prussians escape, the Prussian army must die in this campaign!

The Danzig campaign flows through to Tuchel, the forces collide again, this time joined by a Swedish unit also.
DanzigcampaignP2.jpg

The Prussians face off against a mass of Eastern troops, they inevitably retreat.
TuchelAmbushvictory.jpg

The leader of the Ukrainian force dies, a sad day especially during such an important push forward.

Away from Prussia, the British have begun encroaching further upon our influence in China, entering Friendly with them just after we do.

Greecerefusestojoinwar.jpg

Greece refuses to join our war, some ally!
Sad thing is I doubt Serbia would still be in if they weren’t bound. :(

DanzigcampaignP3.jpg

Prussia is defeated again as we push into Koslin after them, the forests filled with bullets and smoke, the trees fall from the boom of cannonballs, the citybesieged by Russians & Swedes assaulting the cowering Prussians.

We are taking more losses, I am slightly worried that this campaign could destroy our force and end us the war, rather than them.
However the Prussians recover quickly, and their armies can defeat ours individually, this great risk is necessary to destroy the Prussian army, if they are allowed to escape they will return in a month or two, fresh and rearmed to destroy the Tsarist armies.

We follow them on to Deutsch Krone, 10000 Prussians against 79000 Russians, the Prussian forces fight the coming Russians but as our armies storm their positions, the Prussian army surrenders in its entirety.
DanzigcampaignConclusioonPrussian3rdarmydefeatedatDeutschKrone.jpg

The Prussian army is defeated, surely the war is now ours?

An Anhalt brigade is assaulted trying to take back Breslau in the south.
The battles of this war have cost us 9 warscore, and anarchists have 16 brigades worth or men back home, still, with the Prussian army defeated and Russo-Swedish forces invading Prussia, things should be looking up from here.

Prussia-November1842.jpg

Sorry if I take a while between posts, I do try, sometimes I feel I have so much to do and so little time to do it. :p

I do so love an optimist:

The battles of this war have cost us 9 warscore, and anarchists have 16 brigades worth or men back home, still, with the Prussian army defeated and Russo-Swedish forces invading Prussia, things should be looking up from here.

not so much the "glass half empty/half full" debate but more "quarter full but that'll do".

this remains one bruising campaign, if you're lucky it'll be a while before Prussia recovers ... if it does

I bet the reason that you lost the one battle so decisively is the lack of a leader; in Vicky 2, a permanent -2 to your dice rolls is almost certainly death.

I bet the reason that you lost the one battle so decisively is the lack of a leader; in Vicky 2, a permanent -2 to your dice rolls is almost certainly death.

Yes. Even in Vicky 1, a bad leader was better than no leader.

I prefer imageshack, I never get this problem :) In fact, I was checking on one of my super old AARs, and the images were still there.

Apologies, yesterday plugging my laptop charger into the plugs my computer uses resulted in a fuse.
Now I have to get a new fuse for the plugs, until then I cannot use the computer which my game is saved on.

Sorry, I will get it running again lol :p

Last edited:
You better. Or I will stare at the screen so sternly...

A short overview of what I was up to during this break (not much evidently).

DefeatingAnhaltatBreslau.jpg

We defeated Anhalt in Breslau, not much of a battle really.

Our Spheres are expanding, adding Japan to our SoI, with Denmark moving up to friendly.
Unfortunately the British have overtaken us in China, this is dangerous, not only can we not allow them to take China, but also our foothold in East Asia will slip, Japan will likely be undermined by China.

JapanjoinsSoI.jpg

I had thought, and still think, of fighting either the British or the Chinese for China if China becomes impossible to control via diplomacy.

I’ve also long been thinking of Afghanistan, no one is really after it and it could prove a valuable nation to hold in our Sphere, being in the Core of Central Asia.

USmobilizingagainstMexicoTexanWarofIndependance.jpg

The United States has declared war on Mexico in the New World, the War seems to be for the Mexican state of New Mexico.

Columbia has declined to aid their Mexican comrades.

A Swedish frigate begins engaging a Prussian frigate in the North Sea, we have sunk two prussian frigates in the South Baltic since our last engagement, the Prussian navy must be cowering at the sight of our mighty ships at their ports!

A group from Hesse-Kassel during May cease moving toward Leignitz as we move our Russian army there, after retreating North we engage them in Cottbus with our army moving to Berlin.

MovingtoSeigeBerlin.jpg

We engage them in Cottbus, then they flee to Greater Berlin.
The Russians storm their camps, bombard their men with artillery, and chase them from Brandenburg under a hail of muskets & cannon fire.

And so then we begin the Siege of Berlin.

PavelAzarovBalticFleetisdead.jpg

Our Baltic Fleet commander has died, how unfortunate he will not see this war end, and whats worse he will not return home after serving his duty stalwartly in the Southern Baltic & elsewhere.

The Guards Cavalry needs a commander, we hire the slightly inept Boris Dragomirov, perhaps brother of the Commander of the 1st Line, Anton Dragomirov?
I don’t like his stats, but hes better than nothing, after hiring Boris we sent the unit into Prussia.

The Swiss join the French SoI, in other news.

I’ve been wondering on a second War Goal against Prussia, I have some ideas.

•Annex East Prussia (good value but stealing Konigsberg from the Germans seems wrong (yes I’m aware of what happened between the Russians and the Germans which makes that kind of ironic))
•Annex Schlesien (Southern Area, includes Breslau, could be decent)
•Annex Posen (Bromberg, Posen, Gniezno, border would look decent, but doesn’t seem like much gain to me)
•Add Meckleburg to SoI (I like this one, bit far away but once I add Denmark to SoI it should form a nice Russophile cluster, could also lead to further war with Prussia)
•Add someone else to SoI (Idk who, Release Danzig maybe? Don’t like the low number of provinces for it though)

I would feel weird taking too much land from Prussia, but I would like to gain ground on Europe.
I was gonna surprise you with the new war goal but I thought I’d like your input’s.

I agree with loki; East Prussia is an easy choice.

Silesia, I say. Huge numbers of factories, resources, effectively emasculates Prussia in the south, badly hammering the chances of German unity by making Austrian victory in a Unification War a real chance, and add Posen if you can tolerate the infamy, simply because it takes a large lump off Prussia, and makes Berlin so much closer, not having to slog through East Prussia (it also improves the borders substantially). Silesia will also alleviate the industry-income issue.