• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Back in the good old days Paradox games had a load of historical events that meant no matter how much money you had you would still go bankrupt as Spain. Now we have in general tried to move on from this with more open game play and less historical steering. There is one title that is still an unashamed throw back to that era of Paradox games, the Hearts of Iron series. World War II games require World War II.

We are looking to develop this further with a series of historical decisions that give the Majors boosts (and penalties) according to the situation, to give the countries a little better steering. What we are looking at are key moments in the war to give bonus to help countries along that direction. A German attack on the Soviet Union, we give a temporary bonus to attack movement and supply throughput (if we can time it right it will expire just as winter comes along). France Surrenders, Britain picks up a bonus on air intercept mission. Paris liberated then France sees a manpower boost.

The goal is that the effects are not so huge the you feel the need to play to these decisions they have the goal of giving nice nudges to countries just as they need them. I am not going to go to far into the exact specifics of these effects because we have testing and balancing to do for them. Take Japan and the Pacific, we want to give them a nice nudge for the Pacific war so a nice reduction in amphibious assault penalty would help them out a bit. If we throw in a supply throughput penalty it would also slow down the drive into the China. Is this the answer we have been seeking for the Japan question? We’ll keep you posted.

To give you some eye candy, here is an early preview of the new main menu background yonaz has been working on:
fotmfront.jpg

Sounds cool... so will these be automatically enforced when the Germans attack the USSR, or will they still be traditional decisions?

that Soviet soldier appears to be packing some serious meat

Sounds cool... so will these be automatically enforced when the Germans attack the USSR, or will they still be traditional decisions?

They are traditional decisions so you are not forced to use them. The AI will always do them though.

This sounds great! I do love decisions =)

Have you thought of any more events for the US? It feels like they could need a refreshment to really get involved in the war (it's hard to get a feel for it in the game). Perhaps an event for Roosevelts speech when the USA declared war on Germany etc, giving a boost to manpower (which is needed) and national unity.

I love the general idea and direction this changes are headed towards (can't run from determinism in a game of this scope), but:

I don't think nerfing Japan will do good in this game... Maybe for the player to prevent too early conquest of China - but Japanese AI is pretty much hopeless at this point, giving them supply pelanties will pretty much end Axis presence in Asia.

This sounds great! I do love decisions =)

Have you thought of any more events for the US? It feels like they could need a refreshment to really get involved in the war (it's hard to get a feel for it in the game). Perhaps an event for Roosevelts speech when the USA declared war on Germany etc, giving a boost to manpower (which is needed) and national unity.

Are you suggesting that one of the decisions we should give the USA should be like a Day of Infamy one which uses Rosevelts speach as part descriptive text and give the USA some bonuses once it enters war? If you are I am actually scripting one just like this right now.

Are you suggesting that one of the decisions we should give the USA should be like a Day of Infamy one which uses Rosevelts speach as part descriptive text and give the USA some bonuses once it enters war? If you are I am actually scripting one just like this right now.

Exactly! That's awesome! :D You guys really are the best.

"The day which will live in infamy"...

Can't you actually use the recording of the speech in a computer game?

The Russian soldier in the screenshot seems some sort of alien. That or he´s ill with jaundice (that illness that makes you feel yellow).

;)

Actually, they both look like aliens... Now we finally know how they managed to defeat the German onslaught:)

Something similar for the USSR when attacked will really do the game a lot of good. I.e. a nat unity bonus and extra leadership(?)

Our plan is to try and give 3 to each major

Nothing for the mediums then? Would you consider Nationalist China a major or a medium in this context? What about Canada?

It's a sliding slope; I know. :)

Our plan is to try and give 3 to each major

Have you considered letting the community help you with creating decisions?

It could be a good way to get some extra decisions for the minor nations as well and make them more fun to play.

Nothing for the mediums then? Would you consider Nationalist China a major or a medium in this context? What about Canada?

It's a sliding slope; I know. :)

We will be focusing n on majors first and then decide what to do about other countries. Canada and China are not on my list for fist wave decisions

Ability to reduce the Amphibious Penalty by a decision?! AWESOME!!!

Since everyone can research cold weather training...

Actually, that tech only helps in cold terrain not cold weather.

The goal is that the effects are not so huge the you feel the need to play to these decisions they have the goal of giving nice nudges to countries just as they need them.
Love this! Nudging is exactly the right approach! :)