• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MilesGloriosus

Recruit
27 Badges
Apr 13, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi,

Playing in HttT, I've been trying to build a successful colonial empire without falling too far behind in tech, and the best way seems to me to be by using vassals to control overseas territory. If I use (for example) the Cherokee for this, however, then their slow tech rate makes this practically useless in the later game. If I annex them, can I release them in a way that gives them Latin tech group and government?

I'm fairly sure thats a yes. It makes no sense that they wouldn't be. Also, unless your the Byzantines non westernized your in the western tech group most likely.

No, they don't. Anyone know where their tech numbers come from?

I think its pre-set in their country file. Maybe you could try annexing them, closing the game, edit the file, restart the game and release them.
If it works, congrats. However you may want to change them back when you start a new game.

EDIT: Wait. I checked the country files and it seems that it only defines what graphics they use.... Maybe you should make an event that is exclusive for them that makes them latin tech?

No.

Countries get your government, but keep their tech group. Only westernisation raises it, and they have to do it by themselfs.
Pretty sure this is correct. If they do happen to have your tech group already then they will get your tech levels though.
Their tech group (and level) is preserved from before they were annexed or is the one listed in their history file if they have never existed in the current game.

From my experience, nations outiside my tech group (Western in almost all cases) have predefined tech levels and their historical tech group when released. When I releases European vassals, they have the same tech levels I have when I released them.

From my experience, nations outiside my tech group (Western in almost all cases) have predefined tech levels and their historical tech group when released. When I releases European vassals, they have the same tech levels I have when I released them.

Although this is relevant to whether the nation existed before or not.
I think it was that a nation keeps the tech it had when it was annexed ( so TO annexing brandenburg who had land and naval tech 7 and 50 years later releasing them again gives them back 7 land and naval ) but those who are first time to exist ( france -> champagne ) get yours.
Not sure if it remained the same, but thats the way it was back in IN.