Controller Spell Selection Suggestion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 30, 2011
Hello Everyone!
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I had one minor issue that I think can be fixed easily. I had a friend over to play and he was using the controller, and the main issue is the slow and tedious selection of elements with the right joystick. Currently, two joystick movements must be made in order to choose one element (up then right or left, or left then up or down). I think an easy change to this could be to use the 8 directions on the joystick for the 8 elements. I made a rough image edit to show my point. Thoughts?

207xrhz.jpg

+1

This has already been suggested in 2 threads or so I think.
But you provided a picture which depicts exactly what I want!

FTW! This is just what we need!!
Alternatively you could point at the element and select it with left bumper, that way you wouldn't have to close the wheel to select every single element, it would be even faster and it would have a smaller margin of error.

I would much rather prefer to have the same options as the keyboard settings i.e. binding one button per element. Wih tan xbox 360 controller you could bind ABXY to one element each and have trigger + ABXY to the other four elements. Then using either stick buttons, the remaining trigger and bumper buttons for the actions. This would allow controller players a fast and exact way of performing the magicks. Waving around with a stick is definatly not the best solution even with the suggestion above. I mean the options are already there for Keyboard give us the same choice for the controllers.

Actually the "waving around with a stick" is THE best solution for this, ESPECIALLY with the suggestion above.
Ring menues are the best (out of two) solutions to multiple elements on limited button availability.

The "shift" method you have mentioned has existed for ever, and has never fully established because... well they are inconvinient.
Ring menues have been introduced when we got 360° directional sticks (well it was already possible with POV of Joysticks)

They are intuitive and fast. And with only 8 elements you have 45° for each so that can't possibly be hard to hit.

So picking 4 frost with your system means i have to move my stick up/right 4 times in a row (unless they go with the select element then press a button o pick it) which will take far longer and is a lot more error prone than simply holding my left/right trigger and hitting X 4 times.

Circle menu thingmajingers might be new and fancy but they are no were near a simple button press when it comes to speed and accuracy. Xbox controllers have plenty of buttons for what this game needs. Especially since the sticks are buttons too.

Well I'm quite sure I can cast cold 4 times with the CURRENT element wheel not much slower than you with a keyboard. (Because the game adds them just that fast and not any faster).
Meaning if I won't have to move my stick AROUND anymore, I'll probably be exactly as fast with selecting my elements as any keyboard user.
And for someone who is used to playing with the controller won't have any issue with the accuarcy. Also where would you like to put all the functions that are currently on the ABXY buttons?

I think its all a matter of what you're used to. Sure your method would make for a good alternative, but for most it would be inconvinient. So for all I care they should add both and let the players choose.

Exactly i just wanna be able to map the actions just like the keyboard can. But i played for a while with the keyboard and it really is alot faster and easier to build the combos needed for magicks. So far when iv been playiong with a controller i basically never use magicks just standard beam combos, while with the keyboard blasting away with lightning bolt, haste, grease etc is really easy. I just wanna be able to do the same with my controller since playing hotseat is more fun than doing it over internet...

I also think the idea of queuing up spells by pressing a button rather that flicking the right control stick would be great, as long as you can see the queue somewhere. I'd be way faster than the current spell selection

Well I'm quite sure I can cast cold 4 times with the CURRENT element wheel not much slower than you with a keyboard. (Because the game adds them just that fast and not any faster).
Meaning if I won't have to move my stick AROUND anymore, I'll probably be exactly as fast with selecting my elements as any keyboard user.
And for someone who is used to playing with the controller won't have any issue with the accuarcy. Also where would you like to put all the functions that are currently on the ABXY buttons?

I think its all a matter of what you're used to. Sure your method would make for a good alternative, but for most it would be inconvinient. So for all I care they should add both and let the players choose.

I highly doubt anybody can flick a stick around to form a steam/steam/arcane/lightning/arcane combo (not only for thunderstorm, but also for a pretty devastating beam/aoe/imbue effect) as fast as anybody who is used to typing can do with a keyboard.