• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
JAP player here.
As for the situation en the east, after the attack on the army defending siberia, japan got into an extremely drawn out war in mongolia. My thought was to attack and perhaps make both mongolia and tannu tuva to puppets, however that was quickly stopped by, if I may say it myself, quite capable soviet defensive play. I then started a slow but steady advance in the north, but the lack of airfields is making it hard to advance, as is my involvment in operation sickle. However, multitasking affects both me and dapne. And I do belive I have had the least problems with that for now. Also, do note that after vladivostock, there is an awful lot of land for the soviets to loose before they start losing valuable provinces.

Wow, that's quite an offensive in the east. Just about 100,000 men attacking through one province? Well, if you can plug that gap with maybe 2 more divisions, then you are preventing a rather large force from making a decisive offensive and, as you say, probably forcing a stalemate once more. That would give you enough time to do more in the west. I think that providing you are making progress in the west, you'll be fine - Those Russian attacks certainly look bad but your more skilled soldiers are giving you the upper hand. If it comes to it, a slow retreat through Poland should be lengthy enough to finish off the allies in the west and then get those reinforcements over to the east front. Personally I believe that following the success of Vice and Hammer Sickle, storming Paris before the bear comes to bear (see what I did there? ;)) is a strong possibility.

As for the fresh 50,000....I have a sneaky suspicion they are heading to the port in the Hague. Seelowe perhaps?

Can't wait to see what happens next; god speed in the east though, that battle certainly is a pivotal one.

Your progress in the West is very good. You have enough troops and they are of better quality than the Allied ones. On the other hand, the situation in the East is worrying. The odds are good, but you must remember that losing ONE frontline battle can easily result in a massive withdrawal, as you have no real reserves. If the Soviets are determined enough, they will just keep throwing men at you. In fact, it's the best attempt they can make, because everything that needs your attention outside of the Western Front is a boost for your enemies.

Regarding the Far Eastern Front - there is one thing the Soviets can do - buy themselves some time. Even a couple of divs and some logistical strikes here and there can stall the Japanese for a while.

So the Soviets finally push into Poland - they didn't bite during your smaller offensives against the Benelux countries, but now that you are threatening France, you are finally going to be put under pressure. This is going to be interesting, good luck. :)

So, how are you feeling about your decision not to go for Molotov - Ribbentrop at this point in time? ;)

Probably not willing to repeat it in future :)
Germany keeping 2-3 divs of infantry per province is awfully risky. I expect that they will have to form new defensive line behind rivers.
I also hope they kept at least corp of tanks as firebrigades, else it could spell disaster.

I wonder for how long you can get those rares without UK sinking all convoys.

Wow, that's quite an offensive in the east. Just about 100,000 men attacking through one province? Well, if you can plug that gap with maybe 2 more divisions, then you are preventing a rather large force from making a decisive offensive and, as you say, probably forcing a stalemate once more. That would give you enough time to do more in the west. I think that providing you are making progress in the west, you'll be fine - Those Russian attacks certainly look bad but your more skilled soldiers are giving you the upper hand. If it comes to it, a slow retreat through Poland should be lengthy enough to finish off the allies in the west and then get those reinforcements over to the east front. Personally I believe that following the success of Vice and Hammer Sickle, storming Paris before the bear comes to bear (see what I did there? ;)) is a strong possibility.

Your progress in the West is very good. You have enough troops and they are of better quality than the Allied ones. On the other hand, the situation in the East is worrying. The odds are good, but you must remember that losing ONE frontline battle can easily result in a massive withdrawal, as you have no real reserves. If the Soviets are determined enough, they will just keep throwing men at you. In fact, it's the best attempt they can make, because everything that needs your attention outside of the Western Front is a boost for your enemies.

So the Soviets finally push into Poland - they didn't bite during your smaller offensives against the Benelux countries, but now that you are threatening France, you are finally going to be put under pressure. This is going to be interesting, good luck. :)

Germany keeping 2-3 divs of infantry per province is awfully risky. I expect that they will have to form new defensive line behind rivers. I also hope they kept at least corp of tanks as firebrigades, else it could spell disaster.

I aint got too many troops in reserve in the East. In fact, I don’t have any. Only by thinning out “peaceful” parts of the front can I find reinforcements to plug hot spots like the Skidel Showdown. No real firebrigades. I know that’s not good but I had to take a risk and weaken this front in order to get a proper surprise force for Hammer Sickle. So this kind of risk-taking was unavoidable. I’m just glad it had taken this long time before SOV came this big. We’ll see how it turns out. It’s all a big gamble.

As for the fresh 50,000....I have a sneaky suspicion they are heading to the port in the Hague. Seelowe perhaps?

Heh, heh. Yeah, we’ll see – don’t we? ;)

How much do you guys use the AI? Do you automate corps? Army groups? Theatres?

I don’t use AI at all. Don’t trust it with shit. I better do some small mistakes myself than starting to trust the AI to secure a section for me only to realize I have a corps surrounded somewhere. As far as I know, the other guys don’t trust the AI too much either. But – as stated earlier, my skepticism about the AI also makes me rather ignorant to its potentials. Anyway – I like the stress.

So, how are you feeling about your decision not to go for Molotov - Ribbentrop at this point in time? ;)

Too early to say, really. Still, I think Germany get away with things in a fairly un-logical way that, as usual, leads back to Japan. If we could house rule or mod Japan to not be able to join so early (or having more long-lasting problems in China) then Germany would not dare to skip Molotov-Ribbentrop. Now, with Japan fighting a very offensive war, it might just work. But as I said – it is still too early. Soviets mighty build-up potential in this session, due to early entry, might still prove fatal for Axis in the end.

I wonder for how long you can get those rares without UK sinking all convoys.

Good point. It is only a matter of time I guess. I hope I can reach Paris before I go empty again :)

I think in the next game you are going to have to bite the bullet and make the USA deliberately belligerent against Japan - a strict oil and rares embargo from game start on and perhaps allowing full player control as soon as Japan DOWs the Allies. Or you could make a house rule that forces Japan to also declare war against the USA if they want to attack the Allies. On the other hand, you could try to make China even stronger, since it still isn't able to stand up to Japan atm. The longer China holds out, the better for game balance.

I think in the next game you are going to have to bite the bullet and make the USA deliberately belligerent against Japan - a strict oil and rares embargo from game start on and perhaps allowing full player control as soon as Japan DOWs the Allies. Or you could make a house rule that forces Japan to also declare war against the USA if they want to attack the Allies. On the other hand, you could try to make China even stronger, since it still isn't able to stand up to Japan atm. The longer China holds out, the better for game balance.

Why not allow China to be player controlled from the start as well, should be able to hold off a japanese player better.
If the Chinese player gets overrunned, he would then be allowed to take over the US.

Why not allow China to be player controlled from the start as well, should be able to hold off a japanese player better.
If the Chinese player gets overrunned, he would then be allowed to take over the US.

We though that too in last game, Jolly Carnage, but the human player got totally overrun as well. In this game, we fast-played through that episode, forcing Japan tp AI-control those battles - but they still knocked out China fast.

@Dain - Yes, I think you're head on. We have already discussed a little bit along those lines. We'll see how we chose to do it. Its fairly easy and logic to give Japan trade embargo with US (cancel all deals with US) when they attack UK. A player early on on US is also an option.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter XXIV – Skidel Showdown (and a world overview)

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: Operation Vice is over and the hated Belgians are defeated. The little nation that threatened to tip the sensitive balance of power between the great pacts of the world, is now consumed by the tides of raw struggle. As Wehrmacht’s western forces more or less tumbles into the French Wall of Flesh, another threat is more prominent – the attack by the Red Army. They have massed in the north of the East front, close to the Lithuanian border, and have now launched an attack against the few but well dug in German defenders. The clash, named the Skidel Showdown, will determine if Wehrmacht will be forced back over Poland or not.

47-3.jpg

March 17th, 1940

While the Skidel Showdown continued with great ferocity, Germany lost their first major battle since Operation Hammer Sickle. They had hoped to be able to quickly dislodge the French in Reims as many of the defenders were believed to have retreated from Montmédy. Unfortunately, they had some dug in, well organized divisions who proved hard to beat. Also, the Germans realized the Allies fed Reims with well-rested troops and came to the conclusion that this was not they place to get stuck in a long grinding battle.

48-1.jpg

March 18th, 1940

The Fresh 50 000 had now, after a long march, reached western Belgium and supported the troops already being present in Brugge and Kortrijk. With that, a powerful attack was launched at Dunkerque. The French had build forts here (lvl 1 I think) and was supported by Brits and naval fire. Still, several of their troops were in bad shape and the Germans had brought two divisions with engineers to bust the fort open. Except engineers, the German division had brigades with heavy artillery, including Hummels, to pummel the defenders.

The troops in Kortrijk waited however. The German leadership had other plans for them.

To rewards The Japanese for their support during these campaigns, they were given Aalst (Hurray).

Early March, 1940:

Authors answer: I’m quite a maverick… but I do have some limits ;) Moreover, I already have too few units against France as it is, and are multitasking at the borderline of my capacity. Any new front would be devastating to me right now. Moreover, don’t forget that RN punched me right back when Kriegsmarine tried to leave the Baltic Sea. A Seelöwe right now would be like sticking the barrel in my mouth and pull the trigger ;)

51-1.jpg

March 20th, 1940

Hirson was yet another province where Germany expected a breakthrough shortly. The Belgian defenders here were in total disarray and only a French division and the infamous British 1st Infantry Division managed a fairly decisive stand against the two German panzer divisions in the front. The 1st Infantry Division had been in the spearhead when the French-Anglo push had conquered several German provinces during summer and early autumn. This was not forgotten by the Germans who wanted revenge.

Authors note: And as I followed 1st Inf Div during Jolly Carnage, it would give me extra satisfaction if I could nail them in this game…

49.jpg

March 19th, 1940

9 days into the Skidel Showdown, and the first two brave German divisions had been relieved and fell back, close to their breaking-point. The Germans had managed to get four new divisions to reach Skidel and continue the defense. It looked secure for the moment, but it was just so many enemies. It was doubtful if these four divisions would hold up very long. Luckily, the brunt of the attacking force started to show signs of wariness. Still, they had fresh reinforcements coming in. The battle was far from over.

In Szczuzyn, which started out as a fairly orderly battle, from the German point of view, the large amounts of attackers started to wear down the defenders somewhat. Some of the enforcements meant for Skidel had to be directed to Szczuzyn instead.

50-1.jpg

March 20th, 1940

The German attack on Shepetivka was roughly a week in the process and the Red Army defenders were virtually crushed. They still put up a fight but a very desperate one.

::The third battle of Shepetivka was 8 days old. 8 long days. The resistance was not too hard. The first four defending Red Army divisions had been more or less dispatched – but new troops joined the fray. Fortunately, the weak resistance meant that the German troops were not overly tired. Heinrich was sicker of it rather than actually tired from it. He was not sick of beating the enemy; he was not sick of hearing their own heavy artillery firing away and seeing the huge detonation they caused; he was far from sick of his panzer and his dear friends manning it – but he was sick of f*****g Shepetivka. It felt pointless fighting again and again over this God forsaken piece of dirt. Had it just been a similar piece of dirt somewhere east of Shepetivka, then life would have felt more meaningful. Well, he was just another grunt and whining about things didn’t make them better. Still, three degrees Celsius and a slow dripping rain, not much more than a mist, did nothing to ease up his mind. The mist was actually quite spooky. In the contourless province, it was easy to get lost when visibility shrank away to some fifty to hundred meters. And this was not the place to get lost. There were plenty of Russians around and though quite harmless for an offensive panzer, Heinrich did not want to end up alone in the middle of a swarm of those bastards. So he sat there, in his low driver’s seat, peering out through the narrow armored slit, trying to gaze through the drifting ghostlike mist – hoping that they would spy the enemy before being spied themselves.::

52-1.jpg

March 20th, 1940

The Japanese troopers had been fighting through a winter so cold their urine froze before it hit the ground. Consequently, their process had been rather slow. In the last three months, very little progress had been made around Mongolia. Instead, it was mostly in the vast tundra in the north where they had come quite a distance.

According to the Japanese leadership, the resistance in the shape of ground troops was very slim. Instead, Soviet air force bombed the land they left behind, destroying roads, bridges and supply depots, making life really shitty for the pursuing Japs. Still, the temperature gradually rose, making life somewhat easier for the Japs. Hopefully, they could reach some of the most important industrial provinces during the summer.

53.jpg

March 20th, 1940

Yunnan is making progress into British Burma. Not that Yunnan had much to throw in, but neither had the Brits, who now were involved in combat at multiple locations around the world. It was extremely important to keep UK busy now during Germany’s critical advance through Benelux and hopefully France.

54-1.jpg

March 20th, 1940

In Ethiopia, after the Italian disaster in Ed, the Brits gained ground a little too fast. Adis Abeba was not under attack yet, but was not likely to hold on to summer. Anyways, if they managed to pull at British attention that long it would enough for Germany to, hopefully, reach quite far into France.

55-1.jpg

March 20th, 1940

The amount of allied tonnage seemed to have gone down somewhat. Maybe they had stopped a few of their routes. Also, what was worrying was that they had started to sink Dutch convoys. It was perhaps hardly surprising, but it would probably mean that the Dutch would run out of Rare Materials before long and Germany would lose the good and some very necessary deals. It was just not much the Germans could do about it.

555.jpg

March 20th, 1940

The Italians had lost several of their submarines, and some of their screens too – but they still managed to keep the pressure up on their convoy raiding. The Allies, mostly the Brits, kept losing convoy tonnage in the Med.

56-1.jpg

March 20th, 1940

::Johann Keller’s life in the Heer continued. There was so much to do. The fighting soldiers had recently started their basic combat training, like any other Infantry. In a while, depending on their skills, they would be given specific tasks within their units. The first two divisions consisted of the “Heavy Mechanized” set up which basically was like light panzer divisions with mechanized instead of motorized infantry. Once produced, they would be called 1st and 2nd Heavy Mechanized.::

::As a high ranking officer, Johann had gotten one of the first half tracks ever produced. It didn’t have any extra armor and only a top-mounted machine gun. Instead, it had extra antennas, a fixed roof and slightly more comfy interior. He insisted on driving it himself once in a while and his great handling skills impressed his men. He didn’t tell them that he was an experienced mechanic. It would be a useful secret sometime. With as much as 10 brigades of mechanized infantry in production the factories spitted out entire companies on daily basis. It was really impressive. The magic date was September 1st. Then they all would be ready. Whatever country that would have to face this army group would be crushed. Johann hoped it would be the Soviet Union. He saw for himself how these new units broke the long stalemate and threw the Red Army back. It was a beautiful thought. In the meantime, he waited for spring to chase away the last of the dreadful winter. Life was so much better during springtime.::

57.jpg

March 20th, 1940

Authors note:

Honestly, the crushing of Netherlands and Belgium had gone so quick that I reached the French border without a decent detailed plan. I was quite sure to be stuck in Belgium when this game-night ended and therefore had neglected to make detailed plans ahead. You might have noticed how I bashed right into the French front wherever I reached it without any obvious plan.

Also, I expected to be slowly falling back through Poland by now. I am surprised by the lack of aggressiveness from Soviet, but also from the bad odds he gets when attacking me – even with great numbers on his side. So maybe he is clever to be so careful, but I am very happy to be able to fight in the west so undisturbed. However, the outcome of the Skidel Showdown will be very important.

The two other Axis is doing great job of tying down Allies/Commies and pull at their attention. Italy is taking some casualties on land (Afrika) and in the ocean (Med), but will hopefully be able to put up quite a show for a little while longer, before they eventually will be weakened.

So my own plans now? It is Paris of course. Paris is the price. I will not even divert attention in trying to corner BEF – which I usually like – but try and surround Paris as soon as possible and initiate the attack. I will try and move some units, mostly panzers, westwards along the front and create a breach in the open fields there – forcing the Brits to fall back out of fear for being captured – and then turn on Paris. That is at least the plan.

However, I expect Soviet aggressiveness to increase now winter is gone. Not sure how well I am going to cope with it, but I plan to reinforce the east front with a few new units and at least 1 panzer division. I have only reinforced the East with a single unit since I started the preparation for Operation Hammer Sickle. It is likely that the Red Army have reinforced quite a lot so I can’t ignore it any longer. Moreover, I think, given some time, that my present force in the west will be enough to crush Mr. François.

@ Austerlitz and Profetkaninen - Thanks for the votes at AARland Choice AwAARds. I happen to notice that you havn't attached a link to your vote which will render it impotent...

And a big thanks to the rest of you who have voted so far.

Last edited:
Neat AAR.

You are fighting a battle against time, though. You really need to knock France out the war ASAP, to unleash your full might on Sov Union before they boost their Officer rate, or put their thousands of MP to good use.

Italy needs re-balancing, though. They are the Major that must specialize to stay competitive, and still falls short due to crap leaders (Romania '39 has more able generals than Italy, although in lesser number.). They are like a Soviet Union without the IC. And, with less leadership, which may end spread out between Navy, Air and Land forces.

Last edited:
Italy needs re-balancing, though. They are the Major that must specialize to stay competitive, and still falls short due to crap leaders (Romania '39 has more able generals than Italy, although in lesser number.). They are like a Soviet Union without the IC. And, with less leadership, which may end spread out between Navy, Air and Land forces.
Sounds historical. Sorry, but Italy shouldn't be the major player in the game. In fact, I would say that it's overpowered since it can easily conquer Balkans without consequences.

Balance of force between major countries in Europe is fine IMO. Some minors should be stronger, though (especially Switzerland, Poland, Greece and Romania). It's Asia which is troublesome, with vastly overpowered Japan and weak China. PI should really do sth for once to boost China on defence. Their offensive capabilities should be poor, but conquering the WHOLE China in a year without any major problems is simply silly. Even the terrain and the underdeveloped infrastructure should make it extremely hard.

Last edited:
Sounds historical. Sorry, but Italy shouldn't be the major player in the game. In fact, I would say that it's overpowered since it can easily conquer Balkans without consequences.

Balance of force between major countries in Europe is fine IMO. Some minors should be stronger, though (especially Switzerland, Poland, Greece and Romania). It's Asia which is troublesome, with vastly overpowered Japan and weak China. PI should really do sth for once to boost China on defence. Their offensive capabilities should be poor, but conquering the WHOLE China in a year without any major problems is simply silly. Even the terrain and the underdeveloped infrastructure should make it extremely hard.

Italy had up-to-date BB's (except on-board radar), planes, small arms, etc. Italy didn't have to go ask Germany to build Messer's on license, yet, in game, it's bound to happen. I'm not saying Italy should be a powerhouse, but their leadership is not accurate. Plus, they weren't all poorly led. In-game, a British admiral is 2,5% times as efficient as an Italian one. And Italy certainly deserves the "Major" label, even if in RL they weren't as influential as they could have been.

The balance of power would come at the cost of a less-uber Germany. But in MP, with latest patch, the balance of power is tilted against Axis, due to the 140% officer rate cap.

Last edited:
If Italy is underpowered, then what about Czechoslovakia? :lol: Their industry and technology was impressive given their population size, yet it's hardly represented ingame.

True, minors are completely misrepresented in the game. Still, MP wasn't made with Czech in mind. Priority would be to get Majors right, then move on to the important regional powers (Romania, Hungary, Nat Spain, etc...).

Can't help but notice that you've a medium tank division cleverly disguised as 1st Mot Brigade ;-)

Good progress along the lines, surprisingly exactly like the originial Sichelschnitt Plan of WWI, just that you indeed included the Netherlands just like von Schlieffen intended to do. Any chance of the Italians pulling at the French attention in the south, eg by landing in Corsica or even Marseille? How much of the Allied surface patrols consists of French ships?

Good thing inviting Yunnan, they'll catch a little attention from the Brits even if the army of east India is set to auto. Likewise the Japanese advances into eastern Russia.

Last edited: