Your Proposal for Generic Decisions in Darkest Hour

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fernando Torres

Darkest Hour Game Designer
48 Badges
Dec 2, 2006
rayan-nezzar.fr
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Legio
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
Darkest Hour 1914 and 1936 grand campaigns will feature many generic decisions that will affect the course of history in your country.
These will range from national policy to the economy, the military and even diplomacy. They will take benefit from the innovative soft codding syntax of Darkest Hour as well as the new triggers and commands that open much more possibility than with previous HOI games.
But in this thread I would like to hear about your ideas on this.

So what generic decision would you like to see in Darkest Hour?

The best proposals will be implemented. :)

All DOWs for the major (historical) wars.

And quoting mself:

What about disabling the feature to directly "produce" IC, thus disallowing massive IC-Whoring? I think nearly >75% of the AARs from 36-38 go like "we started a massive Industrialization-program..." with a production screen of all the factories built, which is in my opinion quite an exploit. I would like to see Base-IC increase only by events (5 factories for 500 money and 2500 steel or so) or by conquering stuff. The new event-syystem would greatly help this approach.

What do you think ? ;)

Last edited:
Unification of china (DOW) for all chinese nations and final decision for chinese unification

Once unified:

-Economic and military reforms

1. Women involvement in the war effort should be represented at least in some events/decisions. Countries with more open/less conservative policies regarding women should get the benefits sooner.

2. Production-planning for years ahead. General plans giving some small/medium bonuses to research/production of ships/aircraft/armour/etc. for a long time, e.g. 4- or 5-years periods.

3. Investments. Countries with market economy would enjoy the benefits coming from the creativity of the private sector. They should cost money and give periodical benefits.

1) Above all I'd like to see automated national building schemes, for example after the fall of France, Germany could be offered a level 3 sea fort in every Atlantic coastal province for X amount of resources/manpower. It saves the laborious task of manually building up the provinces. Likewise for improving infrastructure across conquered territories. Likewise Russia could have an option to add 20% to all infrastructure for X cost, or an I/C reduction of say 10IC for 5 years?

2) Some "military direction" decisions would be nice to favour service branches. Eg Germany 1936, Goring and Raeder/Donitz are vying for research and IC allocation, an event might ask for your preference on the Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, or a little of both. Options could be a) +20% Naval research/-20% Aircraft research b) Vice versa, c) No effect

3) In Barbarossa you could give Germany an event to decide the fate of POW's?
a) Treat them well = belligerence and dissent down, TC load up
b) No prisoners = belligerence up, dissent up, TC load down

Decisions related to conscription seem a good way to go. First off you have a decision as to whether our country should have conscription, and then you can decide how long it should be for. Imposing conscription, and increasing the term of conscription, should result in increased manpower in return for decreased industrial efficiency and money/supplies production as well as a one-time dissent hit. In this way you have more of a say in playing off manpower growth against IC efficiency/Money/supplies production, and see the effect of dragging more and more men into the armed forces.

Decisions related to colonial policy might also be a good way to go. So long as a country controls non-national provinces, it should decide the treatment that the locals receive - right from the paternalism of the Belgian government in the Congo wherein the Congolese were denied even university education, to the more liberal regime of the British government in India where Indians could join the lower ranks of the army and the civil service, right to the 'overseas department' treatment that Algeria received under the French in the fifties - de jure an equal part of the country but, of course, de facto not. The more freedom you give the colonies, the more productive they should become in terms of manpower and IC, but the less productive they should become in terms of resources.

Most relevant during the cold war

Soviet
Global war on imperialsts and capitalists! World revolution - workers of the world will unite and free themselves from capitalist oppression. Competition, private property, and all class differences and all borguise oppresion will come to an end. Stateless communism ill be the post-capitalist stage of society.

Dissent and rebells in all countries that are not governed by communists. Espianage bonus to Soviet and other diplomatic consequences

250px-Long_live_the_universal_October_-_Klutsis_-_1933.jpg

USA
Economic warfare against global communism! The birth of the US anti communist doctrines - The U.S. will support all non communist countries with economic and military aid to prevent their falling into the communist sphere. Free poples of the world will not be subject to totalitarian commist oppresion.

All non-communist countrises recieves "old" military equipment, technological and financial help from the US. Dissent hit and rebells in some communist countries.

Anti-Communism.jpg

Not all of these would need to be actual decisions obviously:

National Youth Organisation/party youth organisation (mandatory or not)
Female conscription
War economy/Total war
Rationing (several decisions of varying degrees of strictness) for civilians
Rationing for soldiers
Sale of government property
Nationalization of private or foreign property
Petrol reserved for miitary and industrial use (while civilians will have to use replacement fuel)
Collectivization of agriculture (and the opposite)
Move capital
Resettle population/industry
Evacuate province population (example: Finnish Karelia)
Support/contact national resistance movement
Create exile radio station (mainly for occupied countries, can be done by either a neutral nation, allied nation or by the exiled nation itself
Accept foreign refugees (varying numbers, must be done by convoy if no land connection, will also temporarily claim some TC)
Train/recruit foreign national resistance troops (examples: Polish troops in British service, Norwegians in Sweden)

Diplomatic:

Recognize independence
Unrecognize independence
Recognize territorial sovereignty of specified provinces
Rollback recognition of territorial sovereignty of specified provinces
Open diplomatic relations (Embassy level, Consulate level, Chargé d'affaires level)
Close diplomatic relations (or reduce level)
Official declaration of war (previous declare war option switches name to open hostilities)
Send military aid (equipment)
Allow volunteers to specified nation's military
Send economic aid
Send humanitarian aid
Forbid *insert type of aid* aid deliveries from all countries (or specified country) through our territory (or puppets, automatically recommends allies to do the same)
Block aid *type* or all aid deliveries from country *a* to *b* through our territory (or puppets, automatically recommends allies to do the same)
Same as above but do so everywhere possible, including where our troops are situated
Order puppet regime to do *insert action/policy/decision*
Recommend ally to do *insert request*
Can attach rewards to the two decisions above

Military:

Destroy (infra, buildings, resources) or capture province not controlled by us, even if not at war (example: Anglo-French intentions on Swedish iron mines).
Destroy controlled province even if not currently losing a battle.
Efficiency for the options above affected by total firepower, supply efficiency and organisation of units stationed in province, may take time to cause damage.

Military manuevuer: costs supplies and oil, gives experience, some organisation, may reduce or increase morale, takes time, can be done to select provinces and is calculated like the option to increase supply efficiency with the offensive button.
Small military parade (1000+ men), large Military parade (10000+ men), huge military parade (100000+ men) - victory parades and such parades not regularly scheduled)

Last edited:
Not all of these would need to be actual decisions obviously:

National Youth Organisation/party youth organisation (mandatory or not)
Female conscription
War economy/Total war
Rationing (several decisions of varying degrees of strictness) for civilians
Rationing for soldiers.......

+1
Everything you have said has made me cry with excitement, Oh the joy to have all of these options. But sadly to add all these would probably be the death to the release date of march, But we can hope that most of what you said is implemented into the game.

Maybe a decision I would like to see would be the possiblity to grant independence to a nation you have occupied from a enemy. Say your Italy *unrealistic* and you invade Austria-Hungary and control most of the victory points in Croatia then the option to release Croatia (Puppet/Independent) might make it more intresting.

I hope every decision will fire a yes/no event. Otherwise the decision panel will be cluttered fairly soon. Nothing is more annoying than having 10 decisions you will never take blocking the list for years. So will you be able to remove unwanted decisions from the list for good?

Or just a hide button. Or you can sort decisions by categories, and most likely the decisions will have deathdates/triggers that make them unavailable.

Samilou has some good suggestions. But I disagree with female conscription as a generic decision. The era is just way too early for most countries. The countries that did however have it prior to 1964 (if there are any) should be given the decision.

Samilou has some good suggestions. But I disagree with female conscription as a generic decision. The era is just way too early for most countries. The countries that did however have it prior to 1964 (if there are any) should be given the decision.
It may be included as an event/decision with very strict conditions.

In RL there was a strong opposition to female conscription, from both genders and both in the civilian population and especially military. The short-term consequences should be great, including morale damages and a large dissent hit, which is of course of different size depending on nation, sliders and perhaps other factors. It should also damage IC efficiency due to labour shortages.

Actually, you realize we're talking about female conscription now, right? Because I think you mean female allowance to military service, which is voluntary. Conscription is mandatory and almost no country in history has had female conscription, except for very few 3rd world countries. In my earlier post I was thinking about voluntary female service, which IMO could possibly be in for some countries that had it prior to 1964. I don't think female conscription should be in at all.

Actually, you realize we're talking about female conscription now, right? Because I think you mean female allowance to military service, which is voluntary. Conscription is mandatory and almost no country in history has had female conscription, except for very few 3rd world countries. In my earlier post I was thinking about voluntary female service, which IMO could possibly be in for some countries that had it prior to 1964. I don't think female conscription should be in at all.

You may be right in that female conscription shouldn't happen in the game, but it should definitely be possible although very difficult but not worthwhile to pull through, with exception for historical cases, such as Israel. But active recruitment of women for combat roles should definitely be an available decision.

Military decision:

Train/promote new general (land/air/naval, your pick.)For balance, this would have a small money/supplies cost and create poor-quality leaders (ex: skill 0, max skill 5, no traits.)

The reason I ask is that with some countries (ex: Communist China), if you expand significantly, you end up in a situation in which the limiting factor on your military strength is not ic/manpower/tc, but simply the miniscule number of leaders you start off with.