• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devildread

I.C.E.
46 Badges
Aug 6, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Magicka 2
  • War of the Vikings
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
I know that any nazi/SS/third reich material is banned but what about Japan ?

I remember reading something about it being illegal in some countries but I am not so sure about that.

Thanks for helping. :)

--edit : I don't want to launch a debate, I only want a yes/no question with some material about it (in which country it might be illegal etc.)

Yeah there is something about some countries censoring some stuff like that. Formally its not allowed on the forums but what you have in the game you decide yourself since you can google a lot of historical mods for HOI3.

Laws at certain countries count here, while others do not. One could not fulfill all requirements.
I still have the hope that at some point in the future the Hungarian arrow cross propaganda picture will be replaces by one that is not so offending. Nazi symbols are illegal here too (communist also, but removing the red star from the game might be too much).

But the stance of Paradox is clearly defined. One can read them in the rules.

I know that any nazi/SS/third reich material is banned but what about Japan ?

I remember reading something about it being illegal in some countries but I am not so sure about that.

Thanks for helping. :)

--edit : I don't want to launch a debate, I only want a yes/no question with some material about it (in which country it might be illegal etc.)

another thing to think about is that the "imperial flag" was only used by the navy as a warflag the flag of the country was the same as today. when you use the "imperial flag" for japan you have to change the flag of several other nations too. like GB for example.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ited_Kingdom.svg&filetimestamp=20080727192106

another thing to think about is that the "imperial flag" was only used by the navy as a warflag the flag of the country was the same as today. when you use the "imperial flag" for japan you have to change the flag of several other nations too. like GB for example.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ited_Kingdom.svg&filetimestamp=20080727192106

the rising sun flag is still used by the naval defence forces of japan.

i dont wanted a double post i miss clicked.

The only countries I could think off that would be upset by the Imperial Japanese flag would be China and possibly Korea.

But the game is already banned in China (Since Paradox refused to have a unified china in 36 and since Tibet exists). So I doubt upsetting China is a problem... :)
I'm not sure about the situation in North Korea but probably most computer games are banned there, and I do know South Koreans generally love strategy games.

I had a response from Johan, eveything is fine except nazi and SS symbols.

Thanks guys. :)

I think it represents whatever you want it to represent. :)

I'd like to think those are the country flags but since they are on the counters we can guess this is army flags.

But the game is already banned in China (Since Paradox refused to have a unified china in 36 and since Tibet exists). So I doubt upsetting China is a problem... :)

Wow, I did not know that. Good on PI for sticking to their guns and not releasing a people's party compliant version to get into that market.
They don't want their people to know about history? Maybe we need to send more spies there on a "support our party" mission.:D

I know right? What about germany, austria and other countries that bad historic material, too? Banning the nazi flag and other historic material is sending the message of censorship not education & history.

I know right? What about germany, austria and other countries that bad historic material, too? Banning the nazi flag and other historic material is sending the message of censorship not education & history.

we should not discuss this but in short: in germany you can use the the nazi symbols as much as you want for certain reasons. in fact you can see them everywhere but considering what they symbolise the use is restricted and that is good and has nothing to do with censoring. you can show the symbols for education and history without problems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

and no a game does not teach you history...!

Well yes, it is censoring -- you might think it's good censorship, but it is censorship. The word does not imply a moral judgement one way or the other, and not all censorship is bad.

It seems pretty clear that Paradox has stated the subject of wheter it is good or bad censorsip is not welcome on this board. I will simply state I disagree with the interpretation of the German law and the policy, but I understand why they have made this decision.
In any case, it baffled me that the Imperial Japanese Flag was omitted as well.
The good news is that it is very easy to mod flags, not only the Japanese Flag but that other flag as well. Anyone is welcome to pm on how to do so. It probably takes less time to do it yourself then to carry on about it on here, incurring the ire of mods in the process.

//OFF
and no a game does not teach you history...!
Really? I always thought that we only lost the war because we started researching 39 infantry too late and did not invested enough IC in mobile warfare. :)

//ON
The game can still teach you much history. Certain theaters are not disucces in regular elementary school at all (here), like the far east. An when I was a kid any objective (meaning not very negative) discussion of the Hungarian government / army, etc. was out of question. I certainly learned a lot of history because I play this game (mostly from books, ones that I would have not read if I would not started playing HoI).

Status
Not open for further replies.