• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
On citizens, you need 1 million primary culture pops per national focus (I think you might get 1 NF even with less than 1 million primary pops, but you need at least 2 million pops to get 2 NF)
Yes, you get a minimum of one national focus no matter what your number of primary culture POPs is, but you won't get a second one until you reach two million.

Drat. I was hoping for it being 1,000,000. I'm never gonna reach 2,000,000 at this rate. :p

Does researching planes make me able to use them for war, or is there a separate tech for that in the army section?

To build Plane factories, you need Internal Combustion and the Wright and Langley planes invention.

To build airplane brigades, you need Aeuonautics under the Army Techs. It opens in 1914, a tad earlier than the other tier 6 army techs.

Thanks. :)

Also...is there any point having a liberal (yellow) government? I can't build anything or work with factories, and despite encouraging capitalists all they do is open furniture factories in Natal which close in days!

So I change government to another type, thus annoying some pops.

Liberal governments tend to have LF for its economic policy, which is why you can't build factories, but some of them don't. Plus although LF limits your involvement it can under the right circumstances turbocharge your economy. If you want other industries, you should use your NF to encourage whichever type of factories you want. Encouraging capitalists would just add more capitalists in that state which doesn't really help keeping furniture factories open.

Changing to another government type is not a problem, but your POPs may just vote in another liberal government in four years.

I followed the advice here and am the first country in the world to build planes and cars, and am thus reaping massive profits from it. My plane factory is making 900 a day since supply is only like 5 and demand is 350. Electric gears and machine parts are doing well too.

I've reached 1900 and my tax revenue has jumped hugely so now I have 700,000 pounds in the kitty.

I've just gotten the ability to build machine parts, and cars are not far away. Is it good to wait until 1900s, or get in now and be producing them?

Sounds like you are on the right track. Remember that you will saturate the airplane market faster than automobiles. And just remember that you will eventually use up the world's rubber before you completely satisfy demand for automobiles, so have some alternate industrial plans once you reach "Peak Rubber." Fuel is not nearly as profitable, but if you build a gigantic navy, you will sell all your units.

Thanks. :)

Now, when I upgrade a unit's attack or defence how does that work? Does attack only count when they are physically entering an enemy province, or is attack/defence just a case of increasing/decreasing losses in a battle, no matter who physically got there first?

In other words do Bolt Action rifles always give a bonus to how much damage I do, or only when I am attacking another province?

EU3 has offensive and defensive stats always working in battles, regardless of who gets there first.

Attack only counts if you are attacking another province, opposite goes for defense. It used to work like it did in EU3 but they changed it to make battles bloodier.

OK, thanks. That's a bit odd, since it means the attacker has a huge advantage based on all the techs for artillery and troops.

So is it best to not reinforce a battle, but to wait until an army of yours is beaten - then move in to gain an attack bonus?

No, normally defenders have the advantage. Artillery is the exception, as it (somewhat wierdly) gains huge bonuses to attack. Other units usually end up with more defence than attack.

Perhaps the artillery thing is a hold over from the time when they did it in EU3 style, where fragile artillery was still able to unleash a powerful punch.

No, normally defenders have the advantage. Artillery is the exception, as it (somewhat wierdly) gains huge bonuses to attack. Other units usually end up with more defence than attack.

Yup. I generally avoid the artillery research line in the Army techs. Most of my battles are defensive by design, and the +attack bonuses from those techs are useless there.

On the other hand, the machine gun tech +defense bonus does apply to artillery. Once you get that tech, then artillery can be rather useful.

If I understand it right, Engineers make occupying provinces faster. Would I need to have one for every fort level in the enemy province?

But how do you crush the infidels under your growing empire? Artillery (pre-barrels anyway) and bolt-action rifles are the key to my 2-wave military strategy. I use my reserves defensively and follow up all battles with my regulars chasing down the enemy (or filling in for my retreating reserves). This really only works if you keep max army techs at 1890-1936. Before bolt-action rifles I agree that playing the defensive just makes sense without a boatload of artillery. Of course, it's really nice when you do have said boatload of artillery, just watch that your infantry doesn't die off.

If I understand it right, Engineers make occupying provinces faster. Would I need to have one for every fort level in the enemy province?

I wouldn't agree to it. Only brigades with a high recon value are responsible for faster province-besieging. How exact Engineers work is not known in Victoria II. We only know they give a 40%-bonus to the fort-attacking army.
I have made statistics regarding military land units, too. You can download it. Just look in my signature.

But how do you crush the infidels under your growing empire? Artillery (pre-barrels anyway) and bolt-action rifles are the key to my 2-wave military strategy. I use my reserves defensively and follow up all battles with my regulars chasing down the enemy (or filling in for my retreating reserves). This really only works if you keep max army techs at 1890-1936. Before bolt-action rifles I agree that playing the defensive just makes sense without a boatload of artillery. Of course, it's really nice when you do have said boatload of artillery, just watch that your infantry doesn't die off.

Certainly agree that you do have to be attacker in certain situations such as the initial battle with rebels.

As far as the "chasing down" process for rebel-hunting in my own territory, I disconnect my art. units from the infantry, stick a high-speed general on the infantry, and they can arrive before the rebels do...so battle #2 is defensive.

In my current game (approx. 1880) the stats for guards are something like 8 offense and 14 defense, so huge advantages to defensive battles even before counting in terrain and dig-in bonuses. These stats are based on maxing the 2 tech trees on the left side of the Army techs and the 1 tech tree on the right side. I am playing catch-up on research, so am not in a position to max out all branches.

That is not correct. Occupation is determined by reconniassance values, so engineers are not particularly helpful. You'll want cavalry and guards early on, and hussars/airplanes when that becomes available later.

I wouldn't agree to it. Only brigades with a high recon value are responsible for faster province-besieging. How exact Engineers work is not known in Victoria II. We only know they give a 40%-bonus to the fort-attacking army.
I have made statistics regarding military land units, too. You can download it. Just look in my signature.

I would love to download it...but it asks me to register, and I can't speak German! Are you able to e-mail it to me if I PM you an address? Thanks.

So...recon is useful for quick occupation. OK...that's good to know. Thanks! :)