• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FernandoGruber

Sergeant
20 Badges
Mar 2, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello,
I have some problems with the trade tab.
What exactly does Market Activity mean? I thought it means what my whole country (state, factories, people) combined have to buy/sell on the worldmarket. So for example if it says grain has a balance of -400 then my national market has to import grain for 400. But what is with SoI?

Also sometimes there are flaws i dont understand. For example some goods have have a negative balance while i export some of it and when i can just export when my whole domnestic market cant buy anymore there should be a positive balance.

The production tab is also a bit strange: in my recent Netherland Game i sell more Steel than i produce. And its not just steel, many goods have this "Problem". If i mouse over the good in the production/production tab it says "your steel factories produce 200 steel. 200 is sold on the domnestic market, 50 is sold on the world market". What happens here?

I tend to believe all of this things have easy explanations, but the interface is very vague there.

Than there are a few things whih are not in the game or I just dont find which would be realy great: at first i want to know something about the production, Imports and Exports of other countries.
When Austria has a Industry Score of 2000, i want to know what the hell they produce. Is it that unrealistic to know? That Germany produced sh*tloads of steel was very common knowledgein the 19. century, or?
Countries in my SoI should be an open book for me. I control many parts of their economy so i should know whats going on there.

Then there is Trace balance. Isn't it somekind of important to know if my country loses money because my economy imports to much?
This was a major factor behind the opium wars for example.

All in all it would be great to know more about trade, to know who buys most of my stuff so i have to protect them from others, to know who sells the most grain (not the top 5 producers, i can do nothing with this information.) so i can SoI them etc
I think of the Victorian Age as a Time where Trade played a major Role, but to be honest, i can play the 100 years without looking once in the Trade Screen.

Last but not least there should be Trade Wars like the opium Wars. I want to fight with china and press them to buy my goods. Not just fighting with the other great powers about who gets the whole cake. But i think thats something for an addon because it would change the whole SoI system.

Last edited:
About how it works :
You have the point about the WM, that's almost the way it works. Only thing to add is that the first in prestige get to pick goods first, then the second and so on.

About the SoI. Think about it as your little WM only for you and SoI country. Just like the WM, you get thing from there. But this time, the first to pick is the first in prestige inside the SoI group. (the SoI leader most of the time). Once you took, and the other SoI countries, what you can, all is transfered to the WM where it starts again.
The advantage is that you don't need to be the first in prestige to get some stuff, if there is a overproduction in the world but not in your SoI, you'll make more money as you'll sell everything in the SoI market.

The wrong number, I think that domestic market include you + SoI market and WM include SoI market + WM. So with 200 steel, 200 sold domestic, 50 WM, in fact you have 150 in your country, 50 in your SoI and 0 in WM. (I think it's that, not sure)

i have to agree. for me the trade screen is the most "useless" one. only rarely do i look which goods are in high demand before building factories (since most of the time i have interventionism or something else). but im sure im just overlooking some of its usefullness, maybe you too. would be really great to hear from sombeone who uses it alot. and what he does there

1. Market activity does not count imports from SoI. The SoI is part of your domestic market.

2. I think the production tab values are bugged; seems like the amount your artisans made (and sold) are being incorrectly displayed as factory exports.

3. Fighting with China to force them to buy your goods is called declaring war on China with an Add to Sphere CB

1. Market activity does not count imports from SoI. The SoI is part of your domestic market.

2. I think the production tab values are bugged; seems like the amount your artisans made (and sold) are being incorrectly displayed as factory exports.

3. Fighting with China to force them to buy your goods is called declaring war on China with an Add to Sphere CB

Well, I dont want them to be something like my Puppet, to be ultra friendly to me and nod to every offer i make them. A SoIed country is something different from what i mean. Prussia SoIed in Germany so they avoided the tarrif borders and this is modelled by the NGF, so the SoI of Prussia in Germany gets Annexed! Britain had their Dominions in "SoI" like Canada and Australia, and they had very good relationships even until WW2.
But thats not what i want. I just want them to buy my goods, to open their market for me, for example for Opium! But thats what i get without even doing anything, which doesnt seem right to me. I am not a History Professor, but i cant believe China had no restrictions on Import in 1836.

Edit: Thanks for the answers by the way :)

Well, I dont want them to be something like my Puppet, to be ultra friendly to me and nod to every offer i make them. A SoIed country is something different from what i mean. Prussia SoIed in Germany so they avoided the tarrif borders and this is modelled by the NGF, so the SoI of Prussia in Germany gets Annexed! Britain had their Dominions in "SoI" like Canada and Australia, and they had very good relationships even until WW2.
But thats not what i want. I just want them to buy my goods, to open their market for me, for example for Opium! But thats what i get without even doing anything, which doesnt seem right to me. I am not a History Professor, but i cant believe China had no restrictions on Import in 1836.

Edit: Thanks for the answers by the way :)

When they are in the SOI, they should not be able to charge tariffs on your Opium...

Prussia SoIed in Germany so they avoided the tarrif borders and this is modelled by the NGF, so the SoI of Prussia in Germany gets Annexed! Britain had their Dominions in "SoI" like Canada and Australia, and they had very good relationships even until WW2.
But thats not what i want. I just want them to buy my goods, to open their market for me, for example for Opium!

That's what SoI represents, actually. Being in a SoI just means that their market is completely open to yours, they still retain political independence and can make alliances with other countries, declare war or make peace etc. Prussia and the unification decisions are special cases, normally being in a SoI actually guarauntees that you won't be annexed by the sphere leader.

Prussia's SoI of northern Germany is actually a representation of the Zolleverein, which was a historically important step to German unification. Normal SoI isn't like that at all.

That their trade barriers are forcefully lowered.

yeah and also they are forced in my domnestic market which means they buy every thing from me until their demands are met or all my goods are sold. Also they want to ally me, give me every diplomatic treaty i want (aliance, military acces), and other great powers can only remove them from my influence, nothing else.
Also i am the only one with these privileges on the chinese market.
What I want is something different. There should be the possibility for a country to make special tarrifs on specific goods or to ban trade with a specific nation etc. And than there should be the possibility to change that by force. So if I am China and to much money is flooding out of my country to the brits because of their opium and fabric I put Restrictions on that. And when I am Britain I declare war, steamroll them and get the Trade back. And Russia, France and Germany do the same and all of them get this privileges. Its NOT the same as Sphere of Influence.

YES, i was going to make a tread for the expansion of trade but you did, so thats awesome. ANd I'd love trade bans and boycotts and a countries GDP and goods should be more expensive the further away from the factory you go. Also wouldnt it be great for mercenaries to exist that way really wealty countries could buy an army, of coarse this army should have really low moral.