• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks!

It's a new month and high time for another development diary. This time, let's talk about barons. In the original Crusader Kings, characters could only hold titles of three ranks; count, duke and king (though these could be called different things in different cultures). Barons existed indirectly in the form of provincial nobility, which, together with the clergy, peasants and burghers, had different power, loyalty and tax values. The player could fiddle around with the power values of the four classes, which would affect the tax rate and the composition of the provincial levy. As it turned out, this was one of the least successful features in the game, because the micromanagement was tedious and did not have enough impact to make it worthwhile. Therefore, in Crusader Kings II, the whole thing has been cut. Instead, each province will have between one and eight named settlements. A settlement is either a castle, city or church, and characters can hold the title to a settlement just like they can to counties and duchies.

Castles are regular feudal holdings, whose barons are normally in fief to the provincial count. Cities are commercial hubs governed by a mayor. Finally, church settlements are run by a Bishop (or Mufti, or similiar.) Like the four classes of Crusader Kings, the three types of settlement provide different types of troop levies and have different tax rates depending on laws. Unlike the class power of Crusader Kings, the rights of churches and cities - and the investiture of their leaders - should be interesting to play around with. (More on this in a later dev diary.)

Barony tier characters are not playable, mainly for performance reasons. (We do not want barons to have courts of their own, with the explosion of characters this would require.) They have a more rudimentary form of AI than playable characters, but will respond to diplomacy and might raise their army in revolt. Another measure to keep the character count down in Crusader Kings II is that you can have your vassals double as councillors (so there is less need for minor nobles to be created by the game).

What about the level of micromanagement - won't all these baronies require more player attention? Well, the whole point of the feudal system is delegation, so the short answer is that for dukes and above; not much. Granted, the dynamic around cities and churches will require more attention, but of the right kind and infrequently. The existence of baronies will also make playing counts a lot more interesting.

I don't have any baronial graphics in particular to show you, but here's a little something that Aerie is working on...

CK2_Diary002_01.png

That's all for now. Don't miss the next dev diary on December 2!

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

Thank you very much for the input ;)
If I can ask more of your knowledge, CK2's provinces will be roughly of the same size when compared to CK's ones?
[this is very important from a modder point of view :eek:o]

Yes, they will.

And when there were less than eight settlements in a province in real life...? Or is that where limits on individual provinces can come into play?

We have scripted eight historical settlement names for each province, regardless of whether or not it can ever support that many in the game.

We have scripted eight historical settlement names for each province, regardless of whether or not it can ever support that many in the game.

Will it be possible to develop provinces and create new settlements (with a maximum of 8) after investmests and/or once new technologies are discovered? There are certainly provinces, which developed during the timeframe of the game. New technologies could make previous less productive areas more productive, for instance how the Dutch created polders from marshes and fenland. Something similar applies to other parts of the map, certain provinces should have less settlements in 1066 than towards the end of the game.

Last edited:

Wow, I wasn't expecting that many to be scripted. Must be around 4-8000 settlement names to research and add to the file.

How will the names be decided?, obviously towns have expanded, contracted and disappeared throughout the time period covered. I imagine Liverpool won't be in the game, as that is a good example of a place that expanded because of a certain trade and wasn't founded till 1207. So any information would be appreciated. Otherwise great to hear the news Doomdark, great communicator's are always a blessing.

How will the names be decided?, obviously towns have expanded, contracted and disappeared throughout the time period covered. I imagine Liverpool won't be in the game, as that is a good example of a place that expanded because of a certain trade and wasn't founded till 1207. So any information would be appreciated. Otherwise great to hear the news Doomdark, great communicator's are always a blessing.

I expect a parsed version of the Domesday book will be a great help for England, and there must be other similar resources for the rest of Europe..

A new month, a new DD?
Pretty please? :)

I thought it was the first monday of every month as in, not till the 6th?

I thought this was as good a place as any to discuss some aspects of feudalism, especially as it affects relations with your barons (tier 0) and even further down the feudal hierarchy, the knight (tier -1?). Here are a few things to consider:

(1) We've thrown the term around a lot, but should some areas be outside of feudalism? Should there be something basically different between Normandy for example and Saxon England as to how taxes and military duty are organized? Same goes for Ireland, the Scandinavian kingdoms, eastern Europe, the Byzantine Empire.

(2) One of the points of contention under feudalism was proper feudal dues owed to the liege.

(a) "feudal relief" -- on inheriting fiefs, vassals generally had to pay a certain lump sum to their lieges; the Magna Carta set this to a hundred pounds for baronies and five pounds for each "knight's fee"--the amount of land required to support a knight and his horse.

(b) right to approve of marriages -- lieges reserved the right to approve of their direct vassals' marriages, in England's case from the Prince of Wales to the lowliest villein on the royal estates. In case of female heirs, this opened up some room for arranging marriages for favored courtiers to landed noblewomen. (speaking of marriages, how will inbreeding be handled?)

(c) wardship -- the liege became ex officio regent for vassals still in their minority (would be a nice game feature); royal wards did not have to pay feudal relief on reaching their majority. Like 2b could present some interesting events.

and of course let us not forget the most important of all feudal privileges,
(d) jus primae noctis -- JUST KIDDING, GUYS! :D

Well, those are the most important probably in terms of gameplay, although there were of course others, and even these differed from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. But these should be in, to avoid needless micromanaging. Unless you like micromanaging like I do, that is, and want to know about every apple that hits the ground in the royal demesne with its own individual event. ;) OKay, it's late. I'm going to bed.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (how do i search individual threads?) but I'm interested if there will be "free cities" in some provinces. Like the "reichsunmittelbare Städte" in the HRE? And if there are, will you have to manage relations with such cities as a player?