• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Selzro

Lt. General
48 Badges
Apr 23, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
This is a medicine invention that gives an astounding +50 prestige very early in the game (in one game I got it first and went from a civilized nation struggling to break into the secondary power club to 8th great power...), and yet I can't easily find any information on it. My question is, why is it such a big deal? I'm thinking of breaking up its effects into 2-3 medical prestige techs, so no one nation will get this much prestige all at once so early in the game, but first I'm curious to know if there's a historical reason for the way it's represented in the game.

The invention says: 'shared prestige (current) +50'

I don't understand exactly what shared prestige means. Perhaps you get 50 prestige points if your nation is the 1st that discovered this invention?
But I don't know. It is wild guess.

I feel sorry, I can not say anything to the historical reason.

shared prestige means that the more countries that discover the invention, the lower the prestige bonus for the invention.

Look at the aesthetic (o god how do you spell that?) tech tree's inventions and their prestige bonuses at the start of the game, don't research any of them, then look at them mid to late game.

Should technically be Thoracic surgery according to wikipedia.
But I'm guessing it was some massive breakthrough in some way. Meh.

shared prestige means that the more countries that discover the invention, the lower the prestige bonus for the invention.

Look at the aesthetic (o god how do you spell that?) tech tree's inventions and their prestige bonuses at the start of the game, don't research any of them, then look at them mid to late game.

Okay, so if I understand you right, the 1st who discovers this invention gets 50 prestige points, and the 2nd I guess e.g. 40 (I actually don't know now) and the 3rd 30 and so on?

Okay, so if I understand you right, the 1st who discovers this invention gets 50 prestige points, and the 2nd I guess e.g. 40 (I actually don't know now) and the 3rd 30 and so on?

Prestige is base (b) divided by the number of states (n) to have discovered it: b/n

For the thorax surgery invention it's 50/n, therefore the first state to discover gets 50, the second 25, the third 16.6 etc.

And I think the invention refers to this:

World Journal of Surgery said:
Ferdinand Sauerbruch (1875–1951) was a pioneer of thoracic and cardiac surgery and is undoubtedly one of the twentieth century's most outstanding surgeons. Before 1904 operations on the thorax met with fatal complications due to pneumothorax. Sauerbruch developed a pressure-differential chamber that maintained normal respiration and enabled safe operations to be undertaken on the thorax. Together with von Mikulicz, he initiated intrathoracic operations and later developed various surgical procedures on the mediastinum, lungs, pericardium, heart, and esophagus. The simple yet effective techniques of positive-pressure ventilation replaced the expensive, cumbersome negative-pressure chamber. Sauerbruch's latter years were marred by dementia that adversely affected his personality, intellect, and capacity as a surgeon. The unjustifiable toll of increasing patient morbidity and mortality forced authorities to dismiss him in 1949. He died at the age of 76 in Berlin. After almost a century since the advent of the first safe thoracic surgery, the advances in technique and technology have been enormous. A great deal is owed to the inspiration and contributions of Ferdinand Sauerbruch.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I've also come across that 1904 invention. The thing is, in the game you tend to research medicine at around 1840 and get the invention soon afterwards. Doesn't it seem a bit... premature? Though if one were to invent in 1840 something that historically was only invented in 1940, 50 prestige would be well deserved...

The pressure chambers were ment to help keep oxygen in the blood when doing say heart or artery surgery, anything that involves the cerculatory system. Basically, the oxygen is literally forced into the cells, and also stoped excessive bleeding. This technique is very outdated now, but im not sure what is used now (i believe its a medical adhesive.) It was a big break at the time though, saved many lives, so i can understand the high prestige bonus.