• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Musthavename

Colonel
81 Badges
May 13, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hi all. Playing my first full Vicky 2 game since buying it back in August (was waiting on 1.2) and things are going decently as the Dutch thus far. The one thing though really is this. I keep hearing talk of the optimal 4:1 Craftsmen/Clerk ratio, but the numbers of Clerks I get are nowhere near that. Similarly, the optimal number for research is something like 4% of my entire population, and it's more like 0.04%.

Other than burning a NF, which doesn't give me a great deal of Clerks, what can I do to improve my appauling figures? My sliders are currently at 100% for Education and Admin, so is this what's preventing people from becoming Clerks as they simply become Beaurocrats/Clergy? The former i'd like to keep encouraging aswell so I can turn my colonial territories into states (Java since becoming a state has mega-rapidly industrialised, so it's a key priority of mine).

Thanks.

In my germany game NF for clerks works pretty well. Craftsman are the most growing pop's(around 19% for the whole empire, ~40-55% in core germany), but clerks are catching up in growth rate, making 1,5% of the whole population.(2-4,5% in core germany). I'm using 4 NF for encouraging clerks and 2 for colonization(which turns out great, 85% of africa is under german control). Soon complete colonization will be accomplished and i will use all of my NF for clerks until they reach at least 4% of population. It's 1909 now, i think it's a realistic goal. I usually don't use tariffs, but have highest possible taxes for low class (50%), 5-20% for middle and 0% for rich. After completing 2% for clergy and for 1% bureaus, i cut the spending to 5-25% with min. 50% military spending and full social spending. My economy works great with this settings. Getting massive amounts of Craftsman and Clerks and the officers and soldiers are also useful. Farmers, Laborers, Artisans are dropping like they should. Clergy and Bureaus keep their level. I'm by far the richest country in the world got 21,5M in my pocket. After dreadnoughts triggerd UK will be doomed :D

Bumping up this thread I made a while ago because i'm still having trouble in my new game. Without using National Foci it seems whatever I do people won't promote to Clerks. I've got 10million+ population and only 4000 Clerks. Considering the optimal value for research points is 4% and i'm not even on 0.1%, I must be doing something wrong. Help?

You should focus on raising your literacy first, so that your craftsman will promote to clerks by themselves. Just grow craftsman early- to -mid game so you have a larger population base to grow clerks from.

IMHO it doesn't really matter that much though.

NF for clerks helps a lot.
Raising taxes for the middleclass also helps.

You should focus on raising your literacy first, so that your craftsman will promote to clerks by themselves. Just grow craftsman early- to -mid game so you have a larger population base to grow clerks from.

My literacy is about 80% in this game, and it's probably higher in my homeland where there's still virtually no Clerks (since when I made some colonial states proper states, total average dumped from 80 to 70, but has since built back up).