• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Portuguese crusade against Morocco ends in the presumed death of King Sebastian, which put his 66-year-old uncle Henry on the throne. Henry was a cardinal and had never married and had no son when he died two years later.

Wow. I remembered the union with Castile, but no specifics on how it came to pass. What a tragedy for Portugal! Thanks for the pointer, I will have to do more digging and reading, I'm dying to know more about Portuguese planning and logistics for that effort.

Congratz on the awawrd! Well-deserved. Your last post was a great read. So Jane is not that merciful... having a relative beheaded?! :eek: Mary had batter beware! Btw, why did you choose this option, it's -1 stab after all?

From the map I see the Pope has been busy throwing his weight around but now is being tought where his place is. Austria, I guess, diplo-annexed Bosnia and is now subjegating Hungary.

Burgundy seems weak enough in that early start as it hasn't gobbled up Dutch minors. Should be walk in the park. As for Brittany, why don't you try vassalising them? Finisterre might be a liability for you, but as soon as France gets it, it opens up their path to exploration. You might also count on France dowing Britanny, your vassal - cheap casus belli.

Savoy getting Franche-Comte and immediately giving it back is odd. Frankly, I thought Helius made the 'give it back' allowed after the expiration of the truce, but I must be mistaken. I often see Savoy going for FC, more often than not suicidally (France interferes), and again most of the time giving it back. So much effort down the drain. :( (Naturally, as Savoy aar-writer, I feel sorry for them.)

Finally, any bridal plans? Or will we have a virgin queen; or two? :p:)

Congrats on the award! :D

This AAR seriously kicks ass. :)

Congratulations on the award! Well deserved indeed.
This thing brightens up my week a bit :)

Congratz on the awawrd! Well-deserved. Your last post was a great read.

Congrats on the award! :D

This AAR seriously kicks ass. :)

Thank you, gentlemen. After many years of playing, finally a game of EU3 has yielded up a reward other than my wife rolling her eyes and warning "Don't stay up all night playing that game!" :D

... So Jane is not that merciful... having a relative beheaded?! :eek: Mary had batter beware! Btw, why did you choose this option, it's -1 stab after all?

I like to think of the sisters as portraying different aspects of their father, as portrayed by Shakespeare. Jane is more like her dad in Henry V: the competent warrior-sovereign; respected by lords and commons; Machiavellian at times, able to reject Falstaff or see Bardolph executed without shedding a tear; not shy of threatening fire, looting and rapine to French towns in order to encourage their surrender. Mary's more like her dad in Henry IV: disdainful of court life; prefers hanging around with those beneath her station; doesn't behave as the nobility expects; not really motivated to take the whole heir to the throne business seriously—nor should she, really, since any offspring from Jane would take precedence.

I chose the stability hit because the other option (whatever it was) had a longer duration than the 2-3 years it would take to earn the stability back (being Pope Boss helps out a lot here). Also from a roleplaying perspective I judged that Jane would (as in the arrest and execution of Bardolph from Henry V) rather see the law upheld even when it's a friend that pays the price.

Burgundy seems weak enough in that early start as it hasn't gobbled up Dutch minors. Should be walk in the park. As for Brittany, why don't you try vassalising them? Finisterre might be a liability for you, but as soon as France gets it, it opens up their path to exploration. You might also count on France dowing Britanny, your vassal - cheap casus belli.

I am a little disappointed that Burgundy sucks in the 1399 start. They try to eat Dutch minors and get slapped by the Emperor for it. Once that's been repeated a half-dozen times they have no army left, which just chums the water for every other big fish in the neighbourhood.

I can't really explain my reticence toward Brittany. It might have been a cool toy if it was all in one piece, but after France busted it in two, I'm just not interested. Kind of like if the dog steals the steak off your plate but is intercepted before he can eat it. Sure, it's just as nutritious as it was before it got dog slobber on it, but I just don't want it anymore.

Savoy getting Franche-Comte and immediately giving it back is odd. Frankly, I thought Helius made the 'give it back' allowed after the expiration of the truce, but I must be mistaken. I often see Savoy going for FC, more often than not suicidally (France interferes), and again most of the time giving it back. So much effort down the drain. :( (Naturally, as Savoy aar-writer, I feel sorry for them.)

It was weird. It happens again to a different set of countries in the next update, but I didn't get a screenshot of it.

Finally, any bridal plans? Or will we have a virgin queen; or two? :p:)

I had certain plans, but Jane changed them on me. That will be apparent in the update.

Thank you, gentlemen. After many years of playing, finally a game of EU3 has yielded up a reward other than my wife rolling her eyes and warning "Don't stay up all night playing that game!" :D

I so feel the pain of that statement for I too have had the dreaded rolling of eyes and tone of warning that instinctively made me check my six to see if a Mig had locked on.

I would like Calais to have a little defence-in-depth, plus a corridor to Normandy. But I also hope to encourage a Dutch minor or two to expand themselves at Burgundy's expense; it would be very handy to have an ally up there that isn't constantly getting events requiring it to be friendly with Rival Number One.

Well, IMHO, if you're going to keep a continental empire, and since you have Calais, you might as well take Vlaanderen and Antwerp, both rich plus the COT in Antwerp plus I think you might get Dutch accepted when they core, plus you can keep them out of Austria's hands when the Burgundy Succession happens. An English Netherlands would be the most valuable continental possession you could have.

Well, IMHO, if you're going to keep a continental empire, and since you have Calais, you might as well take Vlaanderen and Antwerp, both rich plus the COT in Antwerp plus I think you might get Dutch accepted when they core, plus you can keep them out of Austria's hands when the Burgundy Succession happens. An English Netherlands would be the most valuable continental possession you could have.
Agree with this, if you're going to own anything on the continent then a nice strip of land from Normandy to Antwerp would be relatively easy to defend and extremely valuable. It's only 3 extra provinces on top of your cores and you get a manufactory and a CoT!

This is really good advice, CJL78 and Rabid. There is one minor caveat in that Antwerp is already part of the HRE, so taking it would result in an Imperial Spanking, which is something I generally prefer to avoid. Still, it would probably be worth it.

Unfortunately, Murphy's Law came into effect and I had played out the next two decades before your excellent advice was posted. :( So the course of action I took was... well, at odds with your recommendation. But if I had it to do over again, I would probably follow those recommendations re: Flanders and Antwerp.

IX. Jane Lancaster - 1439-1445: English-Burgundian Border War ~ Defence of Navarre ~ East meets West

Capitulum IX.
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!

Fully three-quarters of the English army is committed to the invasion of Burgundy; the Royal and Invasion Armies remain the nation's primary expeditionary units, while the Army of Ireland has become a *de facto* constabulary force for Calais, and the Army of Scotland exercises the same function for Gibraltar. Gascony—freed of all its competing claims—lies largely undefended, but the Privy Council is confident that it can be quickly reinforced from Gibraltar if necessary.

As some eighteen thousand knights and men cross the Burgundian frontier, the English leadership is pleased to note that resistance is very light, and that Burgundian forces are nowhere to be found.

DAS1rx1.jpg

After the bloodless capitulation of some minor outlying fortifications, the reason soon becomes apparent as captured noblemen are interrogated. The Low Countries have devolved into a confusing puzzle of territorial claims and conflict. Burgundy is already engaged in several wars—her armies are presently fighting in the Duchies of Brabant, Lorraine and Luxemburg. Brabant, in turn, is being overrun by the Burgundians while its own army is conducting a campaign against the Prince-Bishopric of Liège.

For the English, the distraction of Burgundy's armies in neighbouring states is heaven-sent.

Likewise, there are also those at home who see the English-Burgundian border war as a godsend. In Saintonge, several thousand French nationalists stage a rebellion against English rule, but their timing is unfortunate. Soon after, Burgundy's Breton allies enter the province to lay siege to its cities, but they are not any more sympathetic to the rebellion than the English would have been.

W6ov2BR.jpg

The rebels and Bretons bleed each other's forces in a series of skirmishes; whatever goodwill Bretons had for Frenchmen died when their homeland was halved by Henri II de Valois.

In the closing days of August, a English flotilla of lightly-armed scouts is intercepted off Finisterre by a much larger group of Breton warships. A nearby squadron of Irish allies manages to save the patrol from rapid annihilation, and the Irish manage to delay the Bretons long enough for the Navy Royal's main fleet to enter the fray.

qWooBCG.png

Though Burgundian forces occupy Brabant itself, in the fall of 1439 a Dutch army captures the city of Liège. In order to obtain peace, Prince-Bishop Maximilien-Henri I is compelled to surrender his fief to the Duchy of Brabant.

3fJt5UI.jpg

In southeastern France, the armies of the Bishop of Rome compel the Duke of Anjou, René III d'Albert, into vassalage. The former territories of the Count of Albon and Dauphin of Viennois are added to the Pope's terrestial dominions.

XA1eWbA.jpg

The Avignon papacy—and its popes' vulnerability to pressure from the throne of France—produced the Western Schism; tumultuous years of confusion and discord in the Catholic church. This time of troubles led some clergy to wonder whether too much temporal authority was vested in the institution of the papacy, a concern that has gained new currency following the Papal States' history of politically-motivated excommunications and aggressive expansion. The proposed remedy is conciliarism—placing more trust and authority in regular gatherings of cardinals and bishops. A logical step since the church has made many important decisions through previous assemblies of this kind, such as the First Council of Nicea.

When queried about its thoughts, the English-backed curia makes vague noises in support of conciliarism, but otherwise fails to specify a change in current church policy or procedure.

r3LYrRb.png

With the Army of Ireland busy in the Low Countries, some Ulster nationalists rebel against the lawful authority of the Crown, intent on re-establishing the old system of quasi-independent Irish counties. The loyal vassals in southern Ireland move to contain the rebellion on behalf of their Queen.

L4N1GJC.png

By mid-March the Army of Scotland has been recalled from Gibraltar, and is shipped to Saintonge in order to lift the Breton siege. Though outnumbered, the English can call upon greater numbers of cavalry, thus inflicting greater casualties. After a few weeks, the Duke of Brittany is sent packing back to his own provinces, with the Army of Scotland in hot pursuit.

In the northern Burgundian territories, the war is going equally well. The city of Arras has been occupied, with Amiens, Cambray and Flanders under siege. The two Burgundian armies that remain in the Low Countries have been worn down by numerous battles with England, Brabant and Lorraine.

rupFktr.png

The following month, half of the remaining forces in the Burgundian Low Countries are wiped out.

Burgundy is not completely toothless, however. In late spring of 1440, their forces overrun the Duchy of Luxembourg and force its capitulation.

HPnYEsN.jpg

In the summer, the English armies capture Burgundy's last extant field army, then move south through the Duchy of Lorraine into the heart of Burgundian France.

At the beginning of the New Year, Queen Jane replaces Ernest Boscawen, the last remaining member of Bolingbroke's original Privy Council. An elderly French bishop of some ecclesiatical renown is translated to the diocese of Gibraltar in order to aid the evangelism of the Moors.

IrBxZ9h.png

Gibraltar's Sunni population is not entirely pleased with the renewed conversion effort, and make their displeasure known in the usual way.

England and the small kingdom of Navarre have enjoyed cordial relations since the early days of the Hundred Years' War, even though the rulers of both countries are technically rivals to the throne of France. The Lancastrians have some residual family ties to the house of Évreux through Henry Bolingbroke, who married Joan of Navarre in 1403. Though there were no children from that union, Joan enjoyed good relations with Bolingbroke's children from his first marriage. Joan is also known to have sided often with Prince Hal (later Henry V) in his quarrels with his father; Henry V's 1421 guarantee of Navarran independence was (at least in part) a gesture of affinity for his stepmother's family.

Twenty years later, that guarantee is put to the test when the Kindgom of Aragon attempts to expand its Iberian holdings. Such an unprovoked display of raw aggression from the Aragonese shocks their neighbours, causing the severance of military alliances with Castile and Portugal. The King of Castile is so incensed that he commits forces to Navarre's defence, and the involvement of its larger neighbour surely spells doom for Aragon's ambitions.

Although there is little likelihood of England gaining any territory or spoils from such a venture, Jane will honour her father's guarantees. A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

Ncfrqxf.png

By the spring of 1441 Burgundy has been subdued, with Lorraine occupying the province of Burgundy itself and some of the southeastern Low Countries. Everything else has been occipied by English or allied armies. Peace negotiations drag on for some time as few of the major combatants are allied, and Burgundy must consider its concessions to each party carefully.

8yktPcX.jpg

Lorraine is later compelled to release Luxembourg into the demesne of the Holy Roman Emperor.

English demands naturally centre around territories bordering Calais. Taking Picardie is a must, as it provides a vital link between Calais and the disputed Duchy of Normandy. Some Privy Councilors argue knowledgeably for the annexation of additional Dutch territories, especially rich Flanders and Antwerp; others are in favour of Artois and Cambray, in order to provide English armies with the most rapid and direct routes to Normandy and Paris. It is a difficult decision.

In the end, though, Paris has been the goal of every English sovereign since Edward III; to be the kings and queens of France not only in title, but in law and recognition as well.

njuchqI.jpg

With the conclusion of the English-Burgundian border war, English armies in the Low Countries are shifted south to Gascony and the Navarre-Aragon border. The Army of Scotland returns to its temporary Iberian home in order to lift the siege of Gibraltar.

In the summer of 1441, a curious incident occurs in the life of the queen. Word of her successful campaigns against France, Burgundy, Denmark and Aragon has travelled far, and the Greeks of the Eastern Roman Empire are anxious to forge an alliance with a significant European power who might successfully fend off the Turks. Jane's Privy Councilors are aghast at the idea of involving the nation in lengthy foreign wars against such a formidable foe, and quickly end any substantive discussion of the matter.

But the encounter is not entirely fruitless; one Greek emissary is able to build rapport with queen, and they speak not of present military alliances but of history, theology and philosophy. Constantine Doukas is equal parts soldier, statesman and scholar, the scion of a noble family that once ruled the Eastern Roman Empire. Both queen and diplomat fashion themselves warrior-intellectuals of a sort, and can converse easily about Platonic philosophy, the Peloponnesian War, and theological differences that precipitated the Catholic-Orthodox schism of 1054. As days go by, the two spend increasing amounts of time together, often managing to discreetly slip away from courtiers for hours at time. But when questioned, neither divulges any specific details.

vvItDiW.jpg

Jane and Constantine depicted as Abelard and Heloïse. Edmund Blair Leighton, 1882.

Jane's advisors are furious and press various attendants for an account of her activities, but no one has seen anything untoward. The Queen's ladies-in-waiting are adamant that the Sovereign takes her religious duties seriously, and would never submit to a dalliance outside of wedlock. This does little to soothe some members of the Privy Council, who now imagine with dread a Greek prince taking the English throne. England's pre-eminent position ought to be enhanced by an appropriate marriage, and the council considers the princes of France, Castile and Austria to be foremost among many lofty contenders. The Lord Chamberlain tells the Queen point-blank that the Greeks of Constantinople are the sickly inheritors of a dying empire, not worthy to be affianced to the Lancasters of great and glorious England.

After delaying for a month, Jane continues her tour and the Greek delegation returns home, much to the relief of the Council. Though the Queen will continue to entertain princely suitors from other powers, there is always some flaw or impediment that prevents the long-desired wedding from taking place.

In the abortive Aragonese conquest of Navarre, the defending English have concentrated on repelling the invaders, while the Castilians have focused on a systematic subjugation of their neighbour. By the spring of 1443, the combined effort has deprived Aragon of the land, finances and will to fight.

UddPrw1.png

Jane has little desire to acquire Catalan lands, so as a gesture of goodwill to her wartime allies, English diplomats seek to confirm recognition of Castile's recent acquisition.

Thanks in part to renewed efforts by the recently-appointed Bishop of Gibraltar, the decades-long evangelistic effort in his diocese finally bears fruit. At long last, a slim majority of residents in the province are confessors of the Catholic faith.

7IVj4zd.png

With the end of war, peace and prosperity return to northwestern Europe. Like Gascony before it, Artois enjoys a bloom of innovation, driven by ongoing humanist inquiry into Classical philosophy.

1XYoPp7.png

The strategic benefit of being able to maintain English armies within a few days' march of Paris has not gone unnoticed in the French capital itself. For the first time since 1360, English possessions on the Continent have steadily increased; thrilling the English and alarming the French. There is a growing sense of urgency in the Court of St. Denis; Queen Jane has demonstrated a regrettable tendency to succeed where her predecessors have generally failed, and if the Valois do not take action soon, they may soon see the end of a France ruled by the French.

On a rainy day in the spring of 1445, a frantic message arrives in London from the Constable of Calais. The French are reasserting their right to the County of Artois; French armies numbering tens of thousands have crossed the frontier.

mQ1B6L1.png

SwdrW9i.png

ENGLAND c. 1445

Jane I Lancaster
(ADM 7/DIP 7/MIL 8)
By the Grace of God, Queen of England and France and Lady of Ireland
Duchess of Aquitaine, Countess of Artois, Cambray and Picardy

Dynastic Links:
~ Burgundy (Duke Philippe I Lancaster-Valois-Bourgogne)
~ Cyprus (Basileus Jacques II Lancaster-Lusignan)
~ Lüneburg (Duke August I Lancaster-Brunswick-Lüneburg)

Treasury: £9.8 million (98m ducats)
GDP (estimated): £57.4 million (574.5m ducats)
Domestic CoTs: London £37.1 million (371.61m ducats)

Army: 10,000 Knights (Chevauchée), 20,000 Footsoldiers
Reserves (potential levies): 20,004
Navy: 17 Carracks, 17 Pinnaces, 21 Cogs
Discipline: 124.50%
Tradition: Army 48.70% Navy 44.90%

Prestige: First (85.80)
Legitimacy: 100

Last edited:
Did monsieur Capet just bite on more than he could chew? It seems that France should be unable to decisively win a war when the English have an entire island to reinforce from. Nothing good will come from this, at least not for the French.

And the prospect of an English queen marrying a Greek prince? Madness, I say, madness!

Did monsieur Capet just bite on more than he could chew? It seems that France should be unable to decisively win a war when the English have an entire island to reinforce from. Nothing good will come from this, at least not for the French.

More like two halves of two islands? :) I suppose the Irish vassals are more likely than not to fight, though.

EDIT: I don't think the French are way out of their depth in this conflict, exactly. I've made it look pretty easy by fighting them on my terms, when they are busy fighting others. But fighting France at the time and place of her choosing is always a challenge. Especially when you've got high WE.

And the prospect of an English queen marrying a Greek prince? Madness, I say, madness!

I wasn't in love with the idea either, but when it was proposed, I kind of couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
At least you could have given us the screen of the two sides arrayed for battle to mutter about...
No mercy for the French, with Burgandy's weakness apparent they will be France's next victim and England can ill afford the agrandizement of France.

A great update! I'm excited about the Queen and the Greek's future.

As always you have a great selection of pictures, and the narrative is great. :)

An excellent update. French declarations of war are always hair-raising this early in the game, but you've got naval supremacy so there's not all that much they can do if you're determined to hang on. War exhaustion will be a problem if you can't defend all of your possessions, but pulling everything you have into a few large armies should see you right.

I also like how Jane is playing Elizabeth here and not choosing a husband.

At least you could have given us the screen of the two sides arrayed for battle to mutter about...
No mercy for the French, with Burgandy's weakness apparent they will be France's next victim and England can ill afford the agrandizement of France.

You're right, I should have included the war stat dialog in the last image. Please forgive the oversight, I've updated it now.

You're right, I should have included the war stat dialog in the last image. Please forgive the oversight, I've updated it now.

Sweet
that WE is sure going to bite and soon
it'll also depend on how much of that manpower is milan and naples as I assume they probably won't becoming to dance the dance