• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(225264)

Major
3 Badges
Sep 5, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
Can anyone tell me what the screen under my production screen means? The supply factors are very straightforward, but what with the demand factors?

How the hell is Holstein ever going to produce Grain? (or Naval supplies for that matter)

What happens if one of my other provinces produce Grain? I'm about to conquer one!

I searched the forums here and Wiki, but haven't found an answer yet...

It's a bit confusing. It actually lists the supply and demand modifiers for every province in the world. It should actually read as: If province X produces Grain it will need 50% less fish, if it has a port it will need 10% more fish etc. etc. If you counquer a grain producing province you will not do anything to supply and demand simply because supply and demand work on global scale.

There are ways to influence supply and demand, but it's not easy :). For example Grain provinces have a -90% supply penalty if there is a military unit in them. Also each province that is part of a country which is involved in a war will demand 10% (not sure, working on memmory) more Grain. Start with Russia in 1700. Put a military unit in every one of your grain provinces to reduce supply and declare war on the 5 biggest countries in the world. You will see the price of Grain increasing :)

A good example of late game goods is Ivory. Check out Tripolly - they have Ivory producing provinces. Notice that the of Ivory atm is very low - probably between 3 and 5. Now check out the demand modifiers - there are a couple of +50% increases that require Market, Constable etc. When the world advances enough and starts building those improvements the price of Ivory skyrockets, because each province that has one or more of those improvements demands 50% or more Ivory -> higher global demand-> higher price.

Last edited:
Thanks Avisian. It is confusing indeed, and I still doný understand it completely. Aren't trade goods hardcoded? I mean: the number of grain producing provinces are constant on a global level, so the demand modifier with fish is constant? And isn't Fish always produced in a coastal province with thus a port?

Anyway, I'm happy I can take the Grain-province without drawbacks :D

Yes and no. The number of provinces is indeed static, but the supply and demand is NOT hardcoded. Everyday some province somewhere changes in a way. For example it gets looted - supply from that province drops by 90%. A market is build someplace (the Ivory) - demand increases a bit. Etc. etc.

Also consider the New World, You get random resources from each province. Some will be grain :)

That page makes a lot more sense know. Thanks guys :)